Author Topic: SCP Folks! What are the min. specs for running FS2 with FSO installed?  (Read 5281 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
SCP Folks! What are the min. specs for running FS2 with FSO installed?
As the title suggests...

I have the minimum specs for running FS2, but the engine has come a long way since then - as have the graphics, models etc..

What would you say are the minimum specs to run the latest version of FSO / the SCP on FreeSpace 2 with all features enabled?

Many thanks :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: SCP Folks! What are the min. specs for running FS2 with FSO installed?
FSO will run reasonably well on any card that suports at least OpenGL 2.0. For all the shadery goodness (including normal maps), OpenGL 3.0 is needed.

Alternate version: If your card supports Shader Model 3 (which any ATi or nVidia card currently on the market does, IIRC), you can get the full enjoyment.

In terms of Memory, 1+ GB should be enough, as always though, more can't hurt.

In terms of CPU, you need to look at single-core performance, since FSO only utilizes one core at any given time. In other words, this is a game where GHz still matter greatly.

That being said, I _think_ a late-model P4 should be able to run it smoothly with all enhancements.
With newer builds, using the SSE or SSE2 variants (which include a few processor-specific optimizations) will yield a marginal to noticeable performance boost. In addition, the various improvements made in 3.6.12 result in a very noticeable performance boost across the board there as well.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
FSO will run reasonably well on any card that suports at least OpenGL 2.0. For all the shadery goodness (including normal maps), OpenGL 3.0 is needed.

Alternate version: If your card supports Shader Model 3 (which any ATi or nVidia card currently on the market does, IIRC), you can get the full enjoyment.

In terms of Memory, 1+ GB should be enough, as always though, more can't hurt.

In terms of CPU, you need to look at single-core performance, since FSO only utilizes one core at any given time. In other words, this is a game where GHz still matter greatly.

That being said, I _think_ a late-model P4 should be able to run it smoothly with all enhancements.
With newer builds, using the SSE or SSE2 variants (which include a few processor-specific optimizations) will yield a marginal to noticeable performance boost. In addition, the various improvements made in 3.6.12 result in a very noticeable performance boost across the board there as well.
A well-clocked Allendale/Conroe/Wolfdale will run it quite well. A Wolfdale at 3GHz is about twice as fast, in single-threaded applications, as a late-model Pentium 4 or Pentium D.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We're talking minimum specs here, Bob-san.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Well I was able to run it at useable speeds with an Athlon XP 1800+, 1 gb ram and a Nvidia FX5200 (128mb),

For useable see framerates of 30fps down to 7 fps with reduced resolution (1024 by 768) an no advanced mediavps, no Anisotropic filter and no Antialiasing.

Surprisingly I now use a Pentium D 3.0ghz with the same ram and graphics card and I see a marked improvement in framerates, even though I have advanced mediavps, increased resolution (1280 by 1024) 16x anisotropic filter and 16x antialiasing. Consistent 30fps and upwards.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Surprisingly I now use a Pentium D 3.0ghz with the same ram and graphics card and I see a marked improvement in framerates, even though I have advanced mediavps, increased resolution (1280 by 1024) 16x anisotropic filter and 16x antialiasing. Consistent 30fps and upwards.

Until an Orion jumps in, then every system goes :shaking:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
FSO runs quite nicely on a Windows 98SE desktop with a Pentium III and 512 mb of ram. :p

This is not "with all features enabled", i.e. with all mediavp effects, though.  I thought that's what the other thread was for.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam

Until an Orion jumps in, then every system goes :shaking:

Actually no, like i said CONSISTENT framerates of 30 fps and up.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Few corrections...

OpenGL 1.5 or above is needed for best performance.  Shaders will work on anything supporting GLSL 1.10 or higher, so still OpenGL 1.5 with extensions, or better.

OpenGL 3.0 is not supported though, so no point in even recommending that.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
FSO runs quite nicely on a Windows 98SE desktop with a Pentium III and 512 mb of ram. :p
3.6.10 is fine, but at some point during 3.6.11 development(and 3.6.12 RC1), it does seem to have started 'requesting' a newer version of Windows.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Few corrections...

OpenGL 1.5 or above is needed for best performance.  Shaders will work on anything supporting GLSL 1.10 or higher, so still OpenGL 1.5 with extensions, or better.

You might want to put an unless you have an Intel graphic chipset then your on your own disclaimer on that.  Even OpenGL 2.0 Intel cards have problems.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Few corrections...

OpenGL 3.0 is not supported though, so no point in even recommending that.

Are you sure? Because I have a card that apparently (according to GL extensions viewer) supports GLSL 1.2 and OpenGL 2.1, yet I can't get shaders to work... (This may, of course, be due to ATi ****ing up the drivers)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Are you sure? Because I have a card that apparently (according to GL extensions viewer) supports GLSL 1.2 and OpenGL 2.1, yet I can't get shaders to work... (This may, of course, be due to ATi ****ing up the drivers)
Yeah, weird drivers cause us more grief than bad/slow hardware.  Of course our shader setup is total crap anyway so that certainly does nothing to help the problem either.

PM me about your shader problems if you want and I'll see if I can come up with something that will help.

Offline Tomo

This runs fine at 1024x768 with all the common Mods, including full MediaVPs:

Windows XP SP3
Athlon XP 3000+
1GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 6800 GS, 256MB

This is probably around the minimum for full Media VPs - graphics card could go lower, but not CPU.
It's fine most of the time at 1280x1024, but struggles on occasion if there are a lot of laser bolts and ships around.