Author Topic: FS2/FSO Controls - are they Universal to all FSO Games?  (Read 1725 times)

FS2/FSO Controls - are they Universal to all FSO Games?
Hello 1st time posting here.

I played FS2 years ago before Free Space Open had ever been heard of. I recently got a TrackIR and with FSO supporting it, that got me interested in a replay of FS2. A link on Steam led me to this site and I then discovered the links to Diaspora and Babylon 5  - 2 space verses I'm a big fan of.  So....I downloaded Diaspora, set it up and played through the first tutorial. That went smoothly, but without any documentation I thought I'd chance the controls were somewhat similar to FS2 and download FS2's manual from Steam. I noticed in that manual that the 1 included picture of a configuration screen was identical to Diaspora's.

So my question is...do all the FSO based games share the same controls configuration scheme?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: FS2/FSO Controls - are they Universal to all FSO Games?
The base control configuration is the same for all games running on the engine; Unless a modder specifies a different control scheme (or the user reconfigures it), the FS2 defaults will be used.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks for the info. That certainly makes it easier to jump into the different verses and campaigns. I like to bind my joysticks buttons to the max and prefer using a programmable gaming keypad to a keyboard. So having one set of bindings for both that can work across a variety of games is a real bonus.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Diaspora by default does have a somewhat different configuration though. Mainly because people who had never played FS2 couldn't understand a scheme not based on WASD. That said, if I remember correctly, if you install via Knossos you should be able to use the same pilot throughout and the controls will remain the same as whichever game you play first.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
As you play different mods you will probably find that you want slightly different control mappings anyway.  :)  I have a key bound in Diaspora to flip my ship around, but I use that button for something else in other games.  I haven't used Knossos, but with wxLauncher I have a different profile saved just for Diaspora.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.