Author Topic: Thunderbolt model with wings outwards?  (Read 1624 times)

Offline emark4

Thunderbolt model with wings outwards?
I noticed that there are Starfury Thunderbolts that have their wings outwards while the ones I see in game have their wings inward. Is there a thunderbolt model where the wings face outwards from the ship? Or if such model is in the works?

[attachment deleted to save space]

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Re: Thunderbolt model with wings outwards?
As I recall, those outward flaps are retractable and deployable in-universe for spaceflight maneuvering and atmospheric maneuvering respectively.

As for whether they can be changed in-game, I have no idea, but it would be awesome if they did. As for whether that would be practical... *shrug*
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It should be possible to get those parts to partially rotate depending on the model. What would be the point given that all the missions with it are most likely in space, is a little harder to justify.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
What would be the point given that all the missions with it are most likely in space, is a little harder to justify.

Well, that is just a failure of imagination :D

Actually, taking a page out of the book of Darius' Solaris and Twisted Infinities it shouldn't be too hard to mechanically fix up high altitude and low altitude combat scenarios for an experienced FREDer. Might be a good candidate to test some navigation mechanics as well (maybe some Ghost of Tsushima-style particle shenigans instead a HUD gauge /just musing)...

... tempting ...

*remembers all the legitimate combat scenarios you could get out of the Earth Alliance Civil War*

... so tempting ...

... but no time.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:01:53 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline emark4

As I recall, those outward flaps are retractable and deployable in-universe for spaceflight maneuvering and atmospheric maneuvering respectively.

As for whether they can be changed in-game, I have no idea, but it would be awesome if they did. As for whether that would be practical... *shrug*
Oh, I see, so its for atmosperic reasons. A shame, it looks so cool with its wings out. Regardless if its practical or not, I really dont mind.

It should be possible to get those parts to partially rotate depending on the model. What would be the point given that all the missions with it are most likely in space, is a little harder to justify.

If I were to do it myself in blender, how would I do that? (I have some experience in blender but only editing the modles, but its been a long time since I used that program)

Offline emark4

Actually, I am going to try to do it myself. However, I am stumped on reapplying the textures since i have to convert the original pof file into a .dae file. I am trying to use blender for this. What should I do regarding textures?

I think I can help out with this, and I have an idea.  Editing the model I have to rotate the atmo wings 180 degrees shouldn't be too hard.  I'll try to get that done soon.

In some of my Diaspora missions I used a model of an ejected pilot in his seat.  I had written a Fred even in the mission where it's monitoring for a keyboard press representing "EJECT" in that case.  And when pressed it would cause an explosion, black the screen for a second and change the player ship model to that of the ejected pilot.  Without any ability to move at that point of course.

I could do something similar with two different Thunderbolt models, one with wings retracted and one extended.

If it can be done in FRED it should be scriptable too.  So I was thinking of a script that does this:

Monitors for keypress "ALT A" or something unused.  And checks if Thunderbolt change to Thunderbolt_Atmo, if Thunderbolt_Atmo change to Thunderbolt.

It wouldn't actually rotate the sections and you wouldn't be able to see that from outside, but it would allow you to toggle them after a fashion.

Offline emark4

I think I can help out with this, and I have an idea.  Editing the model I have to rotate the atmo wings 180 degrees shouldn't be too hard.  I'll try to get that done soon.

In some of my Diaspora missions I used a model of an ejected pilot in his seat.  I had written a Fred even in the mission where it's monitoring for a keyboard press representing "EJECT" in that case.  And when pressed it would cause an explosion, black the screen for a second and change the player ship model to that of the ejected pilot.  Without any ability to move at that point of course.

I could do something similar with two different Thunderbolt models, one with wings retracted and one extended.

If it can be done in FRED it should be scriptable too.  So I was thinking of a script that does this:

Monitors for keypress "ALT A" or something unused.  And checks if Thunderbolt change to Thunderbolt_Atmo, if Thunderbolt_Atmo change to Thunderbolt.

It wouldn't actually rotate the sections and you wouldn't be able to see that from outside, but it would allow you to toggle them after a fashion.

I managed to edit the thunderbolt model with the wings outwards actually. Had to relearn blender and all the other procedures to make this work. Currently using it for myself (Obviously its canon breaking but... eh... rule of cool)

Nice work.    I did it today as well and incorporated them as two new fighters with a #Atmo in the name for the standard and PSI version.  Everything else is the same.  I made a ship.tbm file for these two as they are new ships that did not exist previously.  They use the same textures and the same cockpit.

I'll put together a download package shortly.

For some reason I can't attach a screenshot.  They are well within the limits.  Either way, I have them in game and working.

Offline emark4

Nice work.    I did it today as well and incorporated them as two new fighters with a #Atmo in the name for the standard and PSI version.  Everything else is the same.  I made a ship.tbm file for these two as they are new ships that did not exist previously.  They use the same textures and the same cockpit.

I'll put together a download package shortly.

For some reason I can't attach a screenshot.  They are well within the limits.  Either way, I have them in game and working.

Ahh sweet! I'll definetly give that a download! Thanks!

I updated my EA Fighters mod with the additions and changes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhxddh8e7hrc76c/EA_Fighters_Update.zip?dl=0

Offline wesp5

So is anybody integrating this into the Knossos release or do I need to update my patch again so that people will find this without searching through the board? OverDhill? Karajorma?

I updated it again today to include two bomber versions with the wings deployed as well.  In case anyone wants to bomb the Mars colony.  All tables updated.  No changes between bomber version and wings deployed bomber version.  So that makes eight versions in total, four regular military and four PSI Crops.

Offline emark4

I updated it again today to include two bomber versions with the wings deployed as well.  In case anyone wants to bomb the Mars colony.  All tables updated.  No changes between bomber version and wings deployed bomber version.  So that makes eight versions in total, four regular military and four PSI Crops.

Once again, I must thank you for doing this. Downloading now!

No problem, I like them too.

You might want to download the package again ;)  I just finished making some changes.  I think I'm done. :)

I added some grebblies to the back of the TBolt fuselage.  It seemed too plain to me.  I did some research looking for pictures of the back and even the PTN schematic / profile picture doesn't show anything but black.  So....I decided to use details similar to that on the back of the Aurora.  After all, makes sense to me.  So all eight versions have been updated with those details.

Also, I did a separate cockpit for the Bomber and PSI Corps versions so that if you look out the windows you actually see the correct colored engine nacelles and wing to go along with the default versions of those craft.

The main download has been updated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhxddh8e7hrc76c/EA_Fighters_Update.zip?dl=0