Author Topic: Axem's Perfect FRED Tutorials - UPDATED In The Year of Our FRED 2014  (Read 29813 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Axem's Perfect FRED Tutorials - UPDATED November 5th
Fair enough, it's just that a tutorial is probably going to have to wait at least a couple of weeks before I have a PC I can actually run FRED on well enough to make one. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
And I'll thank YOU for not drawing attention to how its been over a year since the last update. :)

There's actually a good reason behind that. There's a pair of hud sexps that I found confusingly named and kind of backwards to use, and I wanted to wait until they were fixed (after the code freeze) before actually making up the tutorial, so there would be no confusion!

(But couldn't you come up with another subject?)

Maybe. Maybe...

I wish!  Once I've got the basics down THEN I'll see about suggesting new things to do :p

This tutorial is superb.

As an addendum to the in-mission jump, I worked out last night that instead of a force-jump SEXP I could keep track of how many tactical jumps they made via a variable, then once it hit above a certain value give back the player their subspace drive, and add allow-warp.

Thus, allow for a real jump-out.

This allows for silent external influence - eg if a specific objective is achieved the game can silently add to the variable, transforming ALT-J from a  tactical jump to a real exit. This feels a little more flexible,a s it allows the player to achieve the mission goal, yet keep playing and jump out at their leisure. The last work is to clean up the directive line.

Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( modify-variable @TacJump[0] 1 )
+Name: TAC JUMP - Add to Count
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1
+Chained: 0

$Formula: ( when
   ( > @TacJump[0] 0 )
   ( set-subspace-drive
      ( true )
      "Alpha 1"
   )
   ( allow-warp "Alpha 1" )
)
+Name: ALLOW REAL JUMP
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1

bh

Obviously I meant Jovian month.

LMAO.
I Love you, Axem, for that refenece alone.

Offline Axem

Re: Axem's Perfect FRED Tutorials - UPDATED In The Year of Our FRED 2014
Many Jovian months later, there is an update.

Mission Infrastructure and Checkpoints!

Next month: Cutscene SEXPS!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
When-stop
{ hammertime}
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline tmannon

I must be the biggest noob ever because I cannot for the life of me find out how to load my FRED missions to be able to play them. The tutorial says that when you start Diaspora go to Data Files -> Mission Simulator. Choose Single Missions.  But when I start the game I get the screen for profile management, Basic settings, Advanced settings and by this point you should know the screen I'm talking about (the picture is the screen im talking about) But nowhere on that page is there a Data Files section and when I press Play to start the actual game there is nowhere in the main menu of the game to start my mission either. Just need a little help on how to load my created missions. Quick help would be much appreciated!!!

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
You should find Data Files in the mainhall, once you've loaded the game and selected a pilot (I think.)
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline tmannon

You should find Data Files in the mainhall, once you've loaded the game and selected a pilot (I think.)
I meant the mainhall when I said main menu. It takes you to the Mainhall (main menu) after you select your pilot but at the main menu you have to choose between Briefing, Campaigns, Data Tech (Not the right place i checked), Options, Pilots, and exit. so I don't think its at the main menu.

Offline tmannon

I meant the mainhall when I said main menu. It takes you to the Mainhall (main menu) after you select your pilot but at the main menu you have to choose between Briefing, Campaigns, Data Tech (Not the right place i checked), Options, Pilots, and exit. so I don't think its at the main menu.
Nevermind found it. It was in the Data Tech section i just didnt look hard enough. Thanks for the tip.