Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2666317 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Tactical SSM errored out and created a ring of tiny gates.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That looks pretty as all Mother ****
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A bug introduced between Oct 16 and Oct 27 builds created it, so maybe we can figure out how to do it on purpose!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
yeah, that's definitely cool lookin.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Hmm...

Could either do a series of circular SSM strikes at slightly different angles, or adapt the code for the spherical strike to allow specifying the number of degrees it rotates the point around.

...In fact, could do that for circular, too, allowing "arc" SSM strikes.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
more testing with pbr stuff:
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Tactical SSM errored out and created a ring of tiny gates.

-snipped image-

Freelancer's jump hole effect.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

WHAT?!
... and we let this happen o__O

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

What is that on second pic? Some station?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm more interested in the second pic. If that's Scooby's Deimos, then I'm really impressed by your texturing skills. :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
What is that on second pic? Some station?
ORI Sky Garden

I'm more interested in the second pic. If that's Scooby's Deimos, then I'm really impressed by your texturing skills. :)
This is HTL of Scooby's Deimos called ORFg Vitalius in Mystery Project. As far as I remember, we were drunk modelling this :P. I mean me and Col.Hornet.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
I think I've got my PBR workflow down...

To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

:eek: I think I'm in love with that Morningstar.

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff
You mean the Stiletto? Because that's not a Morningstar.

My personal favourite is the Clydesdale.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).

You mean the Stiletto? Because that's not a Morningstar.

My personal favourite is the Clydesdale.

I was close. The've always looked pretty similar overall to me. My mind just went for the one I remembered better, but I still love that nice, shiny Stiletto.
But yeah, the Stilleto was pretty neat at the start of a mod set during WC2-3 that I played once. I remember it being really good to fly but it's weapons sucked. 

I was never a fan of ConFed Transports before WC3. Except the Free Trader and Belileu Wood classes.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I see that your specular maps reflecting nebulae from ship viewer. Try to incrase transparency a little bit. Your textures look great, even on low-poly models :yes:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
But yeah, the Stilleto was pretty neat at the start of a mod set during WC2-3 that I played once. I remember it being really good to fly but it's weapons sucked. 

Was the mod Standoff?  Using the Prophecy Special Ops engine?

I kinda thought that twin mass drivers were a pretty good armament, a bit short ranged but good refire rate & decent damage :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Talon 1024

• Mods, Games, and Stuff

I kinda thought that twin mass drivers were a pretty good armament, a bit short ranged but good refire rate & decent damage :)

I wonder what other mod that could be... ;)

When I was playing Standoff, I found the Stiletto's mass drivers very sluggish, to the point where I found it tricky to get hits on a target that I was tailing.

I see that your specular maps reflecting nebulae from ship viewer. Try to incrase transparency a little bit. Your textures look great, even on low-poly models :yes:

Well, those were PBR assets. I don't know what the physical properties of Durasteel are, but as far as I know, metallic materials should have a near-black diffuse map, and the reflection map should be what the non-PBR diffuse map was. The high glossiness of the metal material is why you see the nebulae being reflected.

I'm not sure if renders from the original models are credible at all, since the early Wing Commander games had cartoony graphics, although it was necessary, given the technology level for that day.

What I find interesting is that, if someone made a Steltek drone for FSO, they could probably use the same assets for both the PBR and non-PBR renderers. :)

BTW, those are the models from Standoff. I just converted them for FSO/WCAG, and made new textures for them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:18:08 pm by Talon 1024 »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

When I was playing Standoff, I found the Stiletto's mass drivers very sluggish, to the point where I found it tricky to get hits on a target that I was tailing.

I'm missing something here....  :confused:  ;)

Anyway, I found all the guns in Standoff to be really slow, you had to afterburn when firing, and be right on your targets tail, otherwise you couldn't hit squat.  I swear that the fighters were faster that the projectiles  :lol:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I'm missing something here....  :confused:  ;)

Anyway, I found all the guns in Standoff to be really slow, you had to afterburn when firing, and be right on your targets tail, otherwise you couldn't hit squat.  I swear that the fighters were faster that the projectiles  :lol:

Hehehe, Yeah. I also remember having to deal with basically 3 to 5 ai all dog piling me at once constantly. I never finished Standoff though. I got pretty far. Then I got a new PC and I couldn't get past the level where you take out that asteroid base. Because of the AI dog piling me.