Author Topic: Any suggestions about the FRED portal?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Any suggestions about the FRED portal?
I've been trying to improve on the FRED portal by reorganizing and editing already existing articles, and added some new ones. Now, I have run out of ideas. I don't know what to write about.

Here is a full list of FRED-related articles.

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/List_of_FRED-related_topics

Can anyone give me some suggestions? I was trying to avoid writing about topics that are covered in the official FRED Manual (SEXPs, how to create directives, etc.).
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Any suggestions about the FRED portal?
I'd suggest a more detailed explanation of variables. That one often confuses people. I covered the subject in depth in my FAQ but even then some people still don't get it. So it might be worth having someone else explain in more detail so that there is more than one explanation for them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Some additions and alterations: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Variables

I will write a tutorial mission and submit it to complement this. Here it is: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Variables_example_mission I'm not sure it will use the most recently uploaded image, though. Please tell me if you see the right version; the one with the gray SEXP-explaining box cropped.

[EDIT]Taking a critical look at your variables tutorial in your FAQ, the "box" metaphor may cause some confusion. There's nothing else that could be a problem.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:57:00 am by TopAce »

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
A spelling error? "If you wanted Command to send a his message five" Sorry for bugging you if it isn't.
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
It would have read "If you wanted Command to send his message...", but I decided to change it "to send a message.", and left the possessive there. So, yes, it's my fault.

[EDIT]Fixed. Anything else, content-wise?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:50:49 am by TopAce »

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Reading "FRED portal" made me think instantly of Just Another Day 3.

Yeah.