Author Topic: Welcome to the Rendering Engine Overhaul Project  (Read 118165 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Welcome to the Rendering Engine Overhaul Project
Sorted.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I've left the SCP and associated projects as of last week.
Chief1983 is now leading this project.

What happened? Don't tell me acrimony on he internet has claimed another victim? :(
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Catch someone on IRC sometime if you need to know.  This is about the Speedwagon (REO?  Get it?)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I just ran across one of my topics about upgrading the model format, as I've said a few times the graphics engine can't get much better than it is while we use the old model format.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,47751.0.html

i did a quick re-read through the thread. and was curious if we could have 4x4 transform matrices on a per subobject basis. subobjects would be stored in their local frame of reference and then transformed by the matrix for final positioning. this would also allow each subobject to be rendered and collided separately from the model. this matrix could be computed against the parents transform so that each subobject mey be handled as any other model, requiring only a single extra matrix multiply, which could be performed on the opengl matrix stack. this would solve problems with transparency on subobjects, speed up collision detection and would help make subobject animation much easier and allow translation.

another idea might be to embed idx files within the model format, so as to eliminate the need for freespace to generate them, as they would be pre-converted for the engine.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:55:39 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I've left the SCP and associated projects as of last week.
Chief1983 is now leading this project.

What happened? Don't tell me acrimony on he internet has claimed another victim? :(

Let's just say I've moved on to other projects and leave it at that.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
i did a quick re-read through the thread. and was curious if we could have 4x4 transform matrices on a per subobject basis. unfortunately FS uses a 3X3 matrix with an additional offset vector, and there is not really a way to change this

another idea might be to embed idx files within the model format, so as to eliminate the need for freespace to generate them, as they would be pre-converted for the engine.OH YES, ****ING TRUTH!

I think there was a thread or two in the internal where I had some slightly more detailed specifications listed out, but I can't check that obviously.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:24:18 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I guess I can do maths and coding.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
In response to some possibly sarcastic comments by chief1983 on IRC about me having been listed as a team member,

I have got a decent amount of programming experience, much of it with OpenGL. And although I can't dedicate much time, I can offer occasional 'freelance' stuff. And as much as people may be sick having me around as an ideas guy, I do know a thing or two about graphics programming and theory.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i did a quick re-read through the thread. and was curious if we could have 4x4 transform matrices on a per subobject basis. unfortunately FS uses a 3X3 matrix with an additional offset vector, and there is not really a way to change this

another idea might be to embed idx files within the model format, so as to eliminate the need for freespace to generate them, as they would be pre-converted for the engine.OH YES, ****ING TRUTH!

I think there was a thread or two in the internal where I had some slightly more detailed specifications listed out, but I can't check that obviously.

i think that the internal forum should at least be readable to everyone, even if only scp members are allowed to post. im sure there are some intresting reads in there.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also some interesting flames, unfortunately.  Probably why it's internal :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Also some interesting flames, unfortunately.  Probably why it's internal :)

Roger that.

I hope you guys do a good job with this product, but whatever you guys do, don't screw up anti-aliasing (*cough* post processing in 3.6.12 *cough*). There is no feature out there that is worth making the game an aliased, noisy mess to get, and if you're destroying a major image quality feature to implement a minor one, you're doing it wrong.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well post-processing is a major feature, but it still shouldn't have broken AA.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
_post processing_ dos NOT break AA.

Bloom on the other hand, breaks it quite happily. And that is one hell of an age old problem even for DX games. (Look at the chuck patch for Oblivion for ATI cards if you doubt).

However, there are ways to make bloom and AA somewhat co-operate with each other.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ok good to know.  I thought I'd heard something like that before, but also thought that for a while it actually had broken AA in other ways besides just having bloom enabled.

_post processing_ dos NOT break AA.

Bloom on the other hand, breaks it quite happily. And that is one hell of an age old problem even for DX games. (Look at the chuck patch for Oblivion for ATI cards if you doubt).

However, there are ways to make bloom and AA somewhat co-operate with each other.

That's good to hear. So how do I disable only bloom from the post processing effects?

Bloom breaking AA in commercial games used to be a problem a long time ago, nowadays pretty much all commercial games implement bloom in a way that doesn't break AA. That doesn't stop them from finding new features that do break AA (Unreal Engine 3 deferred shading is the biggie nowadays, although there are ways to code in workarounds (batman:AA), or do a more costly driver trick to get the same result). Nowadays many developers are going after consoles, where anti aliasing doesn't matter so much because of the greater distance away from the screen. On the PC though, aliasing and shimmering is very noticeable and is a huge factor. I try to use super sampling whenever I can.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Hery had working patch which allowed both PP/bloom and AA to be used together. Unfortunately Hery announced he is far too busy with his work and personal project to continue coding for FSO. However, we've sent a request he would at least send us diffs of the patches he worked on, including PP+AA patch.

This is not strictly a rendering engine related, but there should be increased focus to break the limits of being stuck to one CPU core. Every single new feature that gets added, slows the game down because not even the fastest CPU is enough for FSO as long as only one core is being utilized. To make things worse, GPU processing power is not used at all.

FSO would be incredible little beast if it could properly use GPU's and multi-threading. Of those two, GPU would give the largest performance boost I reckon.

Fury`: FSO can't be multithreaded without rewriting a fair portion of the engine.
The data structure just aren't right for multithreading, and it would not be a fun thing to debug.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
A man(or woman)/robot/zod can dream, can he/she not?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well... considering that even cell phones will have multicore processors, I'd say at one point we have to support them.

The per-core performance currently doesn't increase that much anymore, but the number of cores increases even more.

Intel will release a six core cpu this year. AMD already has a 12 core cpu. (http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-begins-shipment-of-12-core-magny-cours-cpu/8463.html) (Yeah, I know it's for server.)

When Intel releases a 12 core cpu with HTT, it will have 24 threads...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------