Author Topic: About general discussion thread moderation  (Read 17536 times)

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
  • Current Project: Vasudan Imperium (\/) (;,;) (\/)
About general discussion thread moderation
I posted a thread in General Discussion moderated by Nuke and Dekker. And the subject... nuclear weapons. hmm maybe a mistake to put it in its proper place. Anyway it has a poll consisting of 5 answers. Over time the poll grew to include answers like nukes are sexy and I want to hump them, or something like save the whales, nuke japan.

I didn't put those answers up and I hate to jump to conclusions on these things, but I think it is pretty obvious that Nuke is modifying my poll. It is one thing for somebody to post a reply that is disrespectful to the topic and a completely different thing for a moderator to be disrespectful to a topic.

I did post a reply to the board complaining about sudden changes to the poll, but I didn't PM anybody about it.

I thought it was funny with one extra option, but the poll will be running for 2 weeks and I am worried that its initial purpose will be destroyed.

Is there a way to remove the added vote options without reseting all of the votes on the subject? If so please reset it to options 1-5. Thanks!  ;)
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: About general discussion thread moderation
I don't think you should expect any topic in GenDisc to go the way you like.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Between, Nuke, Dekker, TrashMan and iamzack...

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
I don't think you should expect any topic in GenDisc to go the way you like.

It's not a problem with an off topic discussion going off topic. This is about moderators using their powers to rape my poll. I feel that any silly or funny comments should be just that, a comment. There was no reason to **** with my poll. I reset all votes and put it back, so I lost votes just because somebody had to make FIVE funnies. That's right, I had to delete five junk poll options.

EDIT: Fixed a typo
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:55:54 pm by Redstreblo »
I, Aries one, have proved myself superior to the legendary Terran pilot Alpha one! Let the Vasudan people take pride in this accomplishment, and take the Parliamentary Vasudan Empire to victory over the inferior Galactic Terran Alliance! Long live the Emperor!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
My point is that I don't believe that General Discussion is a great place for serious serious threads.

People don't want to have serious discussions, because they tend to go horribly wrong, so they try to lighten the mood.

Between, Nuke, Dekker, TrashMan and iamzack...
I thought TrashMan was banned from GenDisc. :confused:

(Note that I'm not implying in any way that I agree or disagree with the ban).

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
but a topic about nuclear bombs blowing **** up doesn't fit in freespace discussion, or the Port or anywhere else. It is off topic and the other off topic boards don't make sense either.

Where would you put it?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
but a topic about nuclear bombs blowing **** up doesn't fit in freespace discussion, or the Port or anywhere else. It is off topic and the other off topic boards don't make sense either.

Where would you put it?

I think GB meant, that it's not good to post something serious at all, in GenDisc.
The discussions there start nicely and then the entire thread goes downwards very fast.

There are rarely threads about serious stuff, that doesn't get locked or someone gets banned.

Also, there is not a single Poll on this entire board, that doesn't has at least the Snuffleupagus option.
Most long time members include that in their options by default.

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
Well the gendisc needs a new set of moderators. Moderators who do their jobs right and don't nerf serious discussions. MY THREAD WAS FINE UNTIL A MODERATOR CHANGED IT. It is getting back on track now with a poll reset and so long as it's left alone it should stay that way. If everybody got used to the fact that nobody can do anything in gendisc then there is a problem and it should be fixed.

Sack the moderators that's what I think needs to happen. :nod:

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Well the gendisc needs a new set of moderators. Moderators who do their jobs right and don't nerf serious discussions. MY THREAD WAS FINE UNTIL A MODERATOR CHANGED IT. It is getting back on track now with a poll reset and so long as it's left alone it should stay that way. If everybody got used to the fact that nobody can do anything in gendisc then there is a problem and it should be fixed.

Actually, it's not because of the moderators.
In 99.9% of all cases, it's because of the "normal" members derailing the thread, or certain combinations of members diving to deep into the discussion and turning it into something that requires, either heavy moderation or a lock.
In some cases it's fun, in others it's not.

Personally, i think the moderation of GenDisc is fine.
You just happened to post a thread containing the word "nuke", which if you have noticed by now, leads to some "undesired" moderation by one or more moderators.  :lol:

Don't take it too personally or as a offense by the moderator/s there.
It guess it was meant as fun, or as a "preemptive" action, considering the "history of serious threads" in GenDisc.  :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Again, I think that any attempt to have a serious discussion in GenDisc is misguided. They turn into flamewars and really wreck the place.

Are you new around here? Believe me, Dekker and Nuke's antics are preferable to what we've had in the past. They keep things light.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
He's not really new.... He's Galemp's bro. :)

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster

Again, I think that any attempt to have a serious discussion in GenDisc is misguided. They turn into flamewars and really wreck the place.

Are you new around here? Believe me, Dekker and Nuke's antics are preferable to what we've had in the past. They keep things light.

I'm new to gendisc, didn't know about its issues...  :doubt:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Shall we make another attempt at starting a Meeting Hall forum?

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki

Lurk moar. :p

But yeah, the moderator shouldn't have done that.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
Shall we make another attempt at starting a Meeting Hall forum?

Just looked up what the meeting hall was and it's a place for debates?

I think yes, it should exist. This way people can have serious discussions about anything and gendisc can burn and be silly all it wants.

I just want a place to have serious discussions on off-topic general boards.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ugh, please no.  :(

There is zero chance it would not simply become what GenDisc has been at its worst.

Offline Redstreblo

• Darth Lobster
Ugh, please no.  :(

There is zero chance it would not simply become what GenDisc has been at its worst.

This is why we can't have nice things.  :P

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ugh, please no.  :(

It would need 24/7 moderation, and strict rules about offtopicness etc.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Shade

Whatever the sad status of Gen. Disc., Redstreblo does have a point. Just because many/most threads devolve into chaos quickly, I do not think attempts at a serious discussion should be deliberately discouraged or even outright prevented by the moderators. If they're doing that, they've missed the point of moderating.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.