Author Topic: [WiP] Diaspora_FA-C01M03  (Read 4577 times)

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
[WiP] Diaspora_FA-C01M03
Heya, this is my page for working on ma mission. Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6ymk78sik1o9jp/Diaspora_FA-C01M03.fs2
Only just got past the launch tubes, so there's quite a bit in the way of bugs, not much in the way of stuff to do and not much of anything happening yet. But I have plans, plans to make things do other things like awesome stuff.

Stuck on tube launches. Progress is complicated at the moment due to not being able to test. I've looked over it and over it, but this pair of eyes can't for the life of it see the difference between diaspora mission launch events and my ones.
Dropbox link is in flux: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6m2b7gj8nhhdu9l/Diaspora_FA-C01M03-WIP02.fs2
Attached link is fixed temporarily.

Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes can see it. Are there scripts or something messing with me?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:00:59 am by Killer Whale »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: [WiP] Diaspora_FA-C01M03
Did you follow the tutorial in the dev blog?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
I was trying to copy the events in the first mission of Diaspora and couldn't do it, I didn't realise that tutorial had actually come out, but yeah I went through it and it worked. Unfortunately, I didn't work out what I did wrong the first time so :no: for learning experiance.

Is the correct version linked in the OP?  'cause all I get when it starts is sliding sideways for a while and then my viper just kind of stops.
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
er... Now it is, I think. But I haven't quite got a grip on this dropbox thing, I think the link keeps changing when I reupload. So maybe using https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4z0q2o3e29o6o2r/a2c7SnpmPp and manually navigating to mission 3 would be more effective.
Why is everything in https? That makes it sound like you have to be logged in.
Easier option: http://pastebin.com/hzsurr5Z

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You guys should set up an SVN via Assembla. Easy, reliable, amazingly useful.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Maybe, at the moment I'd just like to FRED.

How do I do multi-line (training) messages? Like I want to say:
" 1. Board Freddie Wong
2. Board Queen Margaret
3. Board SGC-4083-MFT"
Just hitting enter at the end of a line seems to work a bit, and last time I checked it worked in-mission as well, but if I come back after a few moments the message window has jammed the lines back into one again:
"1. Board Freddie Wong2. Board Queen Margaret3. Board SGC-4083-MFT"
Is that just aesthetic in FRED and still works in-mission, or is there a "line-break" character, like $newline which ensures that the lines are seperate?

SOLVED: Their disappearance is indeed merely aesthetic. While you cannot see the line breaks in the message editing window, if you try and backspace text you'll pause for a moment at the line breaks.

Currently: Getting screwed over by an enormous embedded if-then-else chain, why did I decide to complicate things so much!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:19:06 am by Killer Whale »

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Well there's one particular short cut I can't take:

Even imgur knew it was horrible, it put "ew" in the image link.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Why would you crash when I click the save button? WHY!?! I was just fixing my events you... oh, it crashed immediately after I saved. False alarm guys. :nervous:
Anyway, I've learnt the joys of putting together hack-y SEXP code to suit my whims in inefficient ways. Turns out you can't activate several operations within the "then" part of an "if-then-else" statement, but you can in the else bit:
Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( if-then-else
   ( = ( variable-array-get 0 ) 1 )
   ( if-then-else
      ( false )
      ( do-nothing )
      ( add-goal
         "Shuttle 1"
         ( ai-dock
            "The Freddie Wong"
            "bottom dock"
            "rear hatch dock"
         )
      )
      ( modify-variable
         @FreddiewBoarded[0]
      )
   )
   ( if-then-else
      ( = ( variable-array-get 0 ) 2 )
      ( if-then-else
         ( false )
         ( do-nothing )
         ( add-goal
            "Shuttle 1"
            ( ai-dock
               "Queen Margaret"
               "bottom dock"
               "bottom nose right"
            )
         )
         ( modify-variable
            @MargaretBoarded[0]
         )
      )
      ( if-then-else
         ( = ( variable-array-get 0 ) 3 )
         ( if-then-else
            ( false )
            ( do-nothing )
            ( add-goal
               "Shuttle 1"
               ( ai-dock
                  "SGC-4083-MFT"
                  "bottom dock"
                  "top front dock"
               )
            )
            ( modify-variable @TankerBoarded[0] 1 )
         )
         ( training-msg "Oops" )
      )
   )
)
+Name: Send Shuttle
+Repeat Count: 1
+Interval: 1
+Chained: 0
In english, I embedded another if-then-else term within the "then" part of the statement, made it always false and put my operation in the "else" bit of it. Yay for clean SEXP-ing!!

As a side note, I tried initializing my array-variable so that all it's (important) values were set to 0. Broke everything. Got rid of the event, worked like a charm. Who knew? (Broke the launch sequence and gave control of my fighter to some AI dude, but the launch sequence never referred to the array)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:06:23 am by Killer Whale »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The crash on save isn't as bad as most people assume 90% of the time. What the game does is save the game and then immediately reload it so that it can run the mission through the parser and check for errors. This does mean that if your mission is corrupt you've just saved it (but the .bak file with the same name is safe) but also means that a lot of people assume the game crashed on save when it actually crashed on the reload.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
So you mean it could be corrupt? *eyes FRED suspiciously* But you're just a text file, how do you even

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If the mission loads, it's fine. I was just explaining what to look out for if you ever get a mission that won't load.

Despite what most people think, saving a mission in FRED only takes a second or two. The majority of the time spent after saving is actually the reload. As long as it doesn't crash during the first couple of seconds, it's almost certainly saved.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Goshdarn it. I thought I'd be able to quickly spit out a mission in the little-over-a-week break I had between exams, but my final exams are coming up over the next 3 weeks so progress is going to be (very) limited until they're over. Of course everyone is always free to look at (and do whatever with) my progress thus far on dropbox. Recently SEXPs are giving me a rather demoralising headache and looking at what I've been trying to do, it's easy to see why.

So, since I plan to ignore the real life things I have to do tomorrow (secret benefit of being aged and decrepit, right there) and should get the chance to look over the missions I've yet to, I have two questions: Is the file on the dropbox/linked in the first post your current version, and which sexps//events are giving you trouble?
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Yes the intial link still matches my latest (...8 day old  :doubt:) version.
Last thing I was doing was modifying my events to take into account that one of the options, send an EOD team to The Freddie Wong, should only be an option after the appropriate message requesting for one. This requires modification of events such as shuttle (3&4) display, and maybe the three or so events above them but I'm not sure on that. The thing is, there's a hell of a lot going on, so it's not any one event giving me trouble, it's the lot of them at different times.