Author Topic: Your opinion on D Programing Language?  (Read 4023 times)

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
Your opinion on D Programing Language?
http://dlang.org/

I came across it while torrenting a programming language library, it says is the next C, I don't know enough about programming languages or C/C++ to tell so I'd appreciate please the input of experienced/expert C++ programers.

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Your opinion on D Programing Language?
Of course it's the next C. I mean come on it's called D!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 So, anyone here like the D?

From what I've heard it doesn't really have a big enough advantage on C++ to justify its obscurity and apparently poor library and toolkit selection. Would not recommend.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
What do you mean by obscurity?

Well it... hasn't really caught on. For a language that's trying to fill the same niche as C++, that's a pretty big deal.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The idea of creating a better C++ is certainly appealing. Unfortunately, C++11 is already a huge improvement, and the people who really care about stuff like having a clean object-oriented language have Java and C# available. Add to that a huge bunch of common C++ libraries that are used everywhere with lots of easy-to-use c++ bindings, and you're competing against a huge ecosystem. New languages are rarely able to establish themselves against this ecosystem unless they have really compelling qualities that make the investment in terms of developer time (i.e. building compatibility layers, learning the language) worthwhile.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
Thanks for the feedback guys, I suspected something like that, that's why I'd liked to know how good it is compared to C++ but looks like nobody here has ever tried seriously, I guess is up to me then.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:13:15 am by technopredator »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Of course it's the next C. I mean come on it's called D!

Which surely means that E is even better. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Which in turn means ZPL is the ultimate language.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Which surely means that E is even better. :p

Quite.

(For reals: One of my first programming experiences was hacking around on the Amiga with a language called Amiga E back then, which was all sorts of awesome)

Is that Wouter as in Wouter "created FALSE, heralded the esolang age" van Oortmerssen?

Also: behold, the hierarchy of programming languages.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The very same. I hasten to add that AmigaE, despite the wording in the wiki article on Oortmerssen, is not an esolang.

Offline Luis Dias

I like the G one. Sounds sufficiently exciting :yes:

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
I remember back in '96 I made a search for those languages and all letters were defined on wikipedia, yes I checked all 26 of them, since then some have merged, morphed, or died, a few went from opensource to commercial, then I lost track after a while, the one that seemed to have big data structure handling was K, but its syntax was horrible and complicated but very short, I hope it has improved, I suggested K for POV-Ray and I got flamed by 1 of the devs of it no less, among others, when I tried to discuss the idea on their newgroup, damn that was a bad call, but I honestly thought it used a lot of data back then  :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:36:15 pm by technopredator »

the one that seemed to have big data structure handling was K, but its syntax was horrible and complicated but very short, I hope it has improved,

Well it's an APL derivative, and there's still a single-letter one of them; it's just called J now.