Author Topic: Lorric asks about April Fools  (Read 3079 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Lorric asks about April Fools
I imagine they will arrive on their own here in time.

At the time the admins were claiming it was a joke. I am not sure I believe them.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm.  This may be how legends are formed. :)

Let's distinguish between an0n the person and an0n the account.  The admins used an0n's account as a sock puppet during April Fool's day, but at no time was an0n, the person, ever in control of HLP.  Nor did an0n, the person, have control of his account at any point during the day, although he added to the confusion by claiming on IRC that he really was taking over the boards.

The sequence of events was this:
1) The putative "April Fool's prank" was changing the forum to use the pirate filter.
2) Next, we pretended that an0n took advantage of the theme change to take over the forums.  This was the real April Fool's prank.
3) I caused the majority of the mayhem, including the deleting-all-the-boards incident.
4) Despite backing up the forums beforehand, we found that Gamespy's database restore was unavailable, and it remained unavailable for about a month.  During this month, the forums appeared as they did at the end of April Fool's Day.

#4 was the only part of it not planned.  The plan had been to restore the forums at the end of the day as if nothing had ever happened.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Huh! Gotcha, didn't know that.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nor did an0n, the person, have control of his account at any point during the day, although he added to the confusion by claiming on IRC that he really was taking over the boards.

He also made some (unsuccessful) attempts to take back his account though. Which furthered the confusion.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lorric

He shoots. He scores. :)

Really, I figured it all out in about five minutes. I'm really surprised you all believed something else happened.

I've saved you all from your wild fantasies. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, but not this time. ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Wait wait wait wait, what the ****? How did an0n end up dumping the admin forum for the public if you never made him an admin? That definitely happened.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That was a security breach. Which is what made the April Fools more believable. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]