Author Topic: Gold Star Nominations?  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Lorric

Gold Star Nominations?
I just saw Goober give General Battuta a gold star for his fine work in helping the new Steam people get off the launching pad to join the rest of us here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=87499.msg1751797#msg1751797

And it got me to thinking. I've noticed Admins have been more willing to hand out the gold stars in recent times, and a few people now have them, and it gave me an idea.

Now if the Admins want to keep the handing out of gold stars just between themselves, I totally understand. It was the nature in which Battuta got his that gave me the idea, we could have a thread, perhaps a stickied thread, somewhat similar to the News Ticker Thread, in which people nominate other people for gold stars, and the Admins decide whether or not to hand one out. I'm sure plenty of good work goes unnoticed.

In addition, it would be great I think, whether this idea is taken up or not, for there to be a list of the people with gold stars and what they did to get them.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Gold Star Nominations?
Rules about gold starts

1) Dont Take them seriously
2) Like Classic Threads, Nominating people will almost guarantee they won't get one
3) There are no rules, like titles they get handed out for no reason
4) They are meaningless, they are just for run and one of the random things this community has developed in its long existence without memory wipes
5) They only started in the last year or 2 (iirc)
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lorric

Rules about gold starts
Good thing I'm talking about gold stars then. ;)

The gold stars were talked about here and there when I joined up, which was 2 and a half years ago, but no one actually had one. They were very real though, people knew about them, so some must have been handed out before then. In recent months a few have been handed out, and always as far as I've seen for doing something very good.

I think they expire after a time, but I haven't noticed one disappear yet.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
 :banghead:

lol
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Please don't turn the useless gold stars into a "thing" that people will then find reason to complain about.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Seriously.  They're just for fun when someone does something cool.  We don't need to create an actual process for them.

Offline Lorric

What about a list of people and why they got them?

I'm perfectly fine with leaving all as it was though. It was just an idea.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Battuta write my gold star application cover letter plz I'm disparate no one has to know

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Swash For Admin

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Lorric, you are taking this far, far too seriously.  Gold stars are just a thing that admins can give to other members.  There is no formal process and no change in forum functionality for having one.  It's only a small step above "here, have a cookie".  And every so often members are removed from the "Gold Star" membergroup anyway, which might be why you haven't noticed people with them before now.

This is meant to be spontaneous.  Turning it into something "official" would ruin it.  By starting this thread, you are effectively trying to let the air out of everybody's tires.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
So, any particular reason why his constant attempts at backseat moderation/adminage are still being tolerated? (other than no-one give a ****)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's because he really doesn't know any better, and since we are a friendly community, we try to set him straight each time he goofs up.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
So, any particular reason why his constant attempts at backseat moderation/adminage are still being tolerated? (other than no-one give a ****)

This right here? That's being a dick. Warning given.

[EDIT]To clarify, I'm sick of the idea that it's okay to constantly drag specific people through the mud, or bring up old grievances in utterly unrelated threads, just because they've had issues in the past, or there's a general perception that they're disliked or somehow "fair game". It shouldn't have been tolerated in the past, and it's not going to be tolerated in the future, particularly not when we're very possibly about to have an influx of new people who wont know our conventions and rules, and who very possibly may unintentionally fall foul of community expectations.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:09:46 am by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I fully support the right to remain angry about instances of blatant sexism, harassment, and other violations of the forum TOS. You should not be expected to forgive and forget misconduct. If you feel unsafe discussing these issues in public due to fear of rebuke, please contact me and I will serve as an advocate.

While BW raises many good points, we have lost too many members - and come close to losing many more - to a culture of permissivity towards the toxic. Speak up if you remain uncomfortable. You are not obliged to forget.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I fully support the right to remain angry about instances of blatant sexism, harassment, and other violations of the forum TOS. You should not be expected to forgive and forget misconduct. If you feel unsafe discussing these issues in public due to fear of rebuke, please contact me and I will serve as an advocate.

While BW raises many good points, we have lost too many members - and come close to losing many more - to a culture of permissivity towards the toxic. Speak up if you remain uncomfortable. You are not obliged to forget.

Obliged to forget? No, of course not. But this is unrelated to "instances of blatant sexism, harassment, and other violations of the forum TOS". What I'm trying to stamp out is the idea that any individual is okay to be harassed, and that includes repeated public appeals for admin/moderator action, which Lorric is subjected to on a regular basis. His is only the latest case of a long and unpleasant tradition of people on HLP being subjected to campaigns of persistent low-level harassment because they were perceived as "fair game".

It stops now. This is not negotiable.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Lorric

Thank you so, so much.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Obliged to forget? No, of course not. But this is unrelated to "instances of blatant sexism, harassment, and other violations of the forum TOS". What I'm trying to stamp out is the idea that any individual is okay to be harassed, and that includes repeated public appeals for admin/moderator action, which Lorric is subjected to on a regular basis. His is only the latest case of a long and unpleasant tradition of people on HLP being subjected to campaigns of persistent low-level harassment because they were perceived as "fair game".

It stops now. This is not negotiable.

Repeated misbehaviour by single persons should be called out. This is also non-negotiable.

Oh, and Lorric? If you read Battuta's post as a specific indictment of your behaviour, you're reading it wrong. There are several people who are or were active on this board to which it applies.

EDIT: And yes, you are among those people. Whether you like it or not, that is a historical fact.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:46:16 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Heeeey guys the sky is so blue out there ahhah... you know this thread is awesome I learned so much with it... why don't we lock it and go ... ahhh... play some game or do some other shi.... wait. I'm backseat moderating ain't I OH SHI

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I'm shifting this to PMs, this isn't a discussion that needs to be had publicly. And, given that the suggestion offered in the first post has been dealt with, this thread no longer serves a purpose.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What about a list of people and why they got them?

This isn't a bad idea. It would be nice to have a list of what behaviour got someone a gold star rather than having a different thread get derailed over why.

The other ideas were pants but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]