Author Topic: World of Warships - Now Available  (Read 278229 times)

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Re: World of Warships - Now Available
Yes, I'm boring as f**k.

I still get this gem of a game. And then, I discover that the replay is corrupted and I'm like  :banghead:

Funny thing is, I'm still not sure how much I like the Akizuki. I've found that, as counter-intuitive as it may be, you must not go looking for enemy DDs early game. HE does no damage to them, because T8+ DD armor lolnopes the 4-incher HE, unless you hit the tiny superstructures and any angling defeats the AP.

Instead, you need to burn cruisers and BBs to the waterline with demo expert and AFT, because you can stealthfire from 9.7 km.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new HEAP ammo - it should turn the Aki into a veritable buzzsaw at close range, even vs higher-tier DDs. And if I have to sacrifice some fire chance to survive getting killed by a Tashkent while doing literally no damage in return, I'll take it.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:36:34 am by Enioch »
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The HEAP ammo is only going to be useful to the Mogami and Akizuki, according to a clan mate of mine who has done some extensive math on the matter.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Enioch

I believe him.

Superficial testing has indicated to me that HEAP will mostly affect 155s and below. I think IEarl did a quick thing where he gained like +100 average damage per shot (including fire damage) on the Cleveland, but actually lost effectiveness on higher-caliber ships.

And I remember Aerroon posting a video where he did consistent 4-5k damage salvoes with HEAP 155 Mogami vs a Donskoi.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

This poor enemy team.
13 v 8.  3AFKs and a team killer all in once. So this is the power of weekend potatoes.
It's amazing they lasted as long as they did.
Farmed 135k damage on those 3 AFK BBs since I had them all to myself somehow.
I need to take a shower.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Time to take the Twins out.

Gneis actually has been on the bench for quite a while due to not having a decent skipper available (her captains were poached for Bismarck twice)but the Christmas campaign gave me a spare 10 pointer for the SpeeWas a pretty fun match though I was verrrry close to the Karaken.

Also got this thing:

Boy does she makes the monies.  I find radar more team dependent than German Hydro.  When solo the consumable duration/RoF ratio only gives you one or two salvos to delete whatever you uncover while hydro gives you plenty of opportunity to gun them down and torpedo beat through any response.  That said if you have some competent CAs or DDs in company the extra range on the microwaves does pay off.

All and all I thinks she is a pretty good ship, the guns are very satisfying if you are accustomed to German Derpspersion and the arrangement suits her armor profile.  I personally do not care for stationary bow tanking meta so I try to plot out a course so I can advance without exposing her flanks.  The concealment is also pretty useful, I am still speccing out the skipper but already I can often leverage it to ambush the unwary and conduct any risky turns. The overall squishiness does limit your ability to extricate yourself from a failing situation or simply brawl through it like the FDG but hey, you can always just drive German.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I got the Spee through the Chistmas campaign. What upgrade/captain build suits her best... long range/accuracy or moar secondaries?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline crizza

Had a Mighty Mo in a battle yesterday.
He hid behind islands and got smoke by his DDs and a british cruiser... did him no good:

[attachment deleted by admin]

I got the Spee through the Chistmas campaign. What upgrade/captain build suits her best... long range/accuracy or moar secondaries?

Doesn't the Spee have like only three secondary guns? I'd say that since it's main advantage is the big cannons, and it's main weaknesses are it's speed and armor, focus on those.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Doesn't the Spee have like only three secondary guns? I'd say that since it's main advantage is the big cannons, and it's main weaknesses are it's speed and armor, focus on those.

It has a decent suite of secondary guns but the range isn't anything to write home about and she lacks the speed to force a secondary engagement with anything light enough for them to make a difference.  I would go for anything to wrangle better performance out of her derp guns and buff the concealment. 

For my 10-point Graf Spee commander, I chose: Basics of Survivability, Last Stand, Superintendent, and Demolition Expert. I'm kitting her out like a big destroyer gunboat that can heal itself. 5-point skill will definitely be Concealment Expert.

Offline Enioch

Uchuu Senkan etc etc </tired meme>

Holy crap she's amazing when you actually engage your brain. Also, there was a glorious moment where I fired at a broadside Montana with my forward turrets (3 citadels) and gave my rear turret to a broadside, reversing Iowa halfway across the map for another two citadels. :D

F**k it, I'm saying it:

Uchuu. Senkan. Yamato.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 06:37:43 am by Enioch »

Offline crizza

Everytime such results are posted I check if I'm part of the opposing team :D

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So I was trying out a new 6.0 captain build and...

I mean she makes money hand over fist in Randoms but breaking 700K in CoOp is just silly.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Noice!

I'll update to 6.0 later today, are there any obvious wrong choices in the new skills that I should avoid or must haves that I need to get?
Or can I roughly keep my captains trained in a similar manner?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'd do a little research first, its really not as cut and dry as it used to be.  In fact their are a few skills that really might influence the meta, but its a little early at this stage to get a clear view.  On the boats I am not sure of the build I am holding of for now.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Expert
Tail
Gunner

If you ever need to sum up how good wargaming is in game design, you can sum them up with that skill.
Urutorahappī!!

All right. I have enough XP for the New Orleans. Do I upgrade and sell the 'Cola? I've not particularly enjoyed the US CA line since the Cleveland, though I've rather come to appreciate the 'Cola. How does the New Orleans compare? Is it worth it from a 'fun' standpoint or damage potential?

EDIT: same question for the Independence/Ranger
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:21:56 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Enioch

Haven't played american cruisers, but I imagine the improved concealment and radar result in a much better ship. I know for a fact that I fear NOrleans a lot more thna the Pepsi.

Dunno how the different matchmaking affects things tho. NOrleans can see Yamatos.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Ditch the Independence. The Ranger is almost literally the same ship in playstyle, its often put into the same matchmaking bracket but it doesn't have torpedo bombers that drop at the slightest hint of AA fire.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Haven't played the NO since closed Beta, however, I do not recall it being terribly memorable.  Its certainly better than the Pepsi if only for not being the first thing lit every match to every battleship's delight.  If I recall its a bit tougher than the Pepsi and can fight at better angles due to the turret arrangement.  Radar is obviously useful in the anti destroyer role.

I will probably try and reacquire her at some point but that's mostly due to the historic achievements of the class and the San Francisco in particular.