Author Topic: Tip for Training missions  (Read 885 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Tip for Training missions
I found out recently that training missions have an odd quirk.  When the "Skip Training" button is pressed, FSO will mark all the mission goals as complete, and all the mission events as incomplete. Therefore if your campaign file next-mission-sexp uses events to determine progression then they will always be false when evaluated when "Skip Training" is pressed, which will result in "Skip Mission" returning to the same mission instead of the next mission. Kinda confusing & frustrating to players ;)

To get around this, use goals instead of events (e.g. is-previous-goal-false instead of is-previous-event-false) in the next-mission-sexp.

Hope this helps someone else!
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Tip for Training missions
This is really good to know ... For Of Shivans and Men I was toying with idea of having training missions for the Laertis (which by design should encourage a non-combat appraoch) and the Pythia (which was some quicky weapons) in order to familiarize players with what they are going to experience; but the consideration that people will just skip over them made effort not worth it...

With the information that the mission events are considered incomplete I acutally can now go ahead and make some SEXPs in existing missions that trigger promts about the new stuff ONLY for those who skipped training - I just have to remember to do it :)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."