Author Topic: BP: Age of Aquarius - The Director's Cut discussion  (Read 139774 times)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Re: BP: Age of Aquarius - The Director's Cut discussion
Not yet. I haven't had the time to go about patching my copy of BP:AoA:DC.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Qent

the Deimos now serves as the myrmidon of the GTVA
I looked at this for quite a few seconds like :wtf:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Believe it or not, 'myrmidon' means something other than semi-crappy space superiority fighter.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
Oh...I just took it to mean the "bread and butter" corvette of the GTVA, like the Myrm was supposed to be, in regards to Space Superiority.

It was amusing to see a fair amount of community sentiment echoed in the fighter/bomber entries(Boanerges).

I like that the Ares became a front-line design, and the Herc II was deemed more of a light assault fighter.

Lokis were sold into private hands instead of being made into target drones(unlike many of the other remaining GW-era fighters).

The Zeus was kept in production for a while as a Trebuchet boat.

Interesting conjecture on the idea that there are curious, seemingly self-imposed 'limiters' on Shivan fighter primaries(rather than handwaving it as 'game balance'). I would imagine it has something to do with the Shivans' assigned duty/service to the Council(also further suggesting that the Shivans may have actually been 'pulling their punches', so to speak, until their expulsion from the Council, with all the applicable menace that might imply if they do come back on their own).

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:17:39 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Nope. If there's one thing that should be absolutely clear, it's that in our interpretation there is literally no way in hell to beat the Shivans militarily.
Solving the puzzle that is the Shivans will not be done through a well-placed Helios in some exhaust pipe.

Face it, HM, we have our storyline pretty much mapped out, and there is literally nothing that we'd want to add to it. If we wanted, we could keep this going forever, but we feel that it's better to have a set goal that we can work towards, as it allows us to do some dramatic pacing work that otherwise would not be possible.

I will not discount the possibility of later additions to the BP universe, but the story Darius and the rest of the team wants to tell can and will be told in the three chapters we said we would do.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We're at about 500 downloads on the MediaFire site.

Let's try to keep this thread clear of BP3 discussion for the moment - I'd like to hear more about the AoA DC for now. Anyone have kind words for specific voice actors? Favorite missions?

Nope. If there's one thing that should be absolutely clear, it's that in our interpretation there is literally no way in hell to beat the Shivans militarily.
Solving the puzzle that is the Shivans will not be done through a well-placed Helios in some exhaust pipe.

Face it, HM, we have our storyline pretty much mapped out, and there is literally nothing that we'd want to add to it. If we wanted, we could keep this going forever, but we feel that it's better to have a set goal that we can work towards, as it allows us to do some dramatic pacing work that otherwise would not be possible.

I will not discount the possibility of later additions to the BP universe, but the story Darius and the rest of the team wants to tell can and will be told in the three chapters we said we would do.

That's really interesting you raise that point. And it's certainly a valid interpretation given what the first two games show us of Shivan capabilities. However, I think there should be some reward for players who have been duking it out with the Shivans for many campaigns, only to barely dent their strength.

To use another sci fi example. In Macross there are thousands of Zentradi fleets with millions of ships each. However, the human race, in part due to its bravery, uniqueness and partly due to working with its former enemies (similar to the Terrans and Vasudans) they're able to survive and cope with such insane odds, even though conventional military victory is inpossible.

At the very least, I'd like to see the GTVA hit the Shivans once where it really hurts. Like in the first two games, it may not win the war, but it may save the their races from extinction until another solution is found.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
All The_E has said is that victory is not likely to be achieved by blowing up every single Shivan ship, or by a daring strike on a 'hive' or 'weak point' for massive damage.

Don't read anything more into it than that.

Offline OllieG

Anyone have kind words for specific voice actors? Favorite missions?

Guess it's time to chime in - the directors cut version of this mod is one of the best campaigns I've played in any space-sim, Freespace or not.  It was all about the voice acting.  I played the old BP when it was first released and I liked it just fine (especially music), but the story didn't have the pop it needed because there was no voice.  With voice, the story takes on a life of its own and the campaign is just addictive - I ended up playing at 3am because I had to know what happened.  So thanks to the voice actors, you did a great job (especially the voices of Corey and Taylor, military sci-fi is what FS is all about and you guys got the "sidekick" roles perfect), and I can't wait to experience more of your work in War in Heaven. 

I'm hoping for more of the military sci-fi style in War in Heaven - while the mystical part of BP was interesting, my favorite part of the campaign was the persistent fleet and the way the capital ships worked like a real battle group in combat.  That large scale fleet combat is hard to pull off without BoE, but you guys did it very well, and it provided some of the best FS moments yet.  In that vein, Preserving the Balance was probably the best mission - I like Forced Entry as well, but it's so hard (on Hard difficulty anyway) that I can't really pause and enjoy the battle. 

Can't wait for War in Heaven.  Keep it up guys!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thanks very much for that. And I can guarantee that we're definitely going to have a way more MilSF-inspired campaign in WiH.

Including random bits of pilot slang and other assorted milspeak.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Really gotta agree here; the voice acting is what made the game for me.  Not flubbing on some obvious details (oxymoron?) such as the weak transmissions from Taylor and Corey from a light year away really helped. :yes:

And to whoever put in the line "And Dragons, ****ing Dragons!": that made my day. :p
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Which is why the GTVA trying to fight them with hard power is simply idiotic, and the war against the UEF is utterly pointless.

Considering how things went even when confronted by the Vishans about it, fighting them with soft power is equally pointless!

There is no victory condition hahaha screw you. (this is an awful story then)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh for goodness sake, you have no reason to believe that's true.

Although a story about how people reacted to inevitable extinction could be pretty awesome.

NGTM-1R did you read the new tech stuff yerself?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Oh for goodness sake, you have no reason to believe that's true.

Well, yeah, but I've got no reason to believe it's false either. :P The Shivans didn't seem very inclined to listen to reason in AoA and they appear to have reacted in fashion that's really only slightly less hostile than normal with Bosch.

Granted even I think it's pointless to attempt a full-scale war with the Shivans for at least the next hundred years after Capella, possibly ever. But you can probably nibble chunks off them by intelligent deployment of node collapsing-weapons to gain small bits of territory and trap limited numbers of Shivans for a set-piece battle.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I was mostly referring to the crack about there being no victory condition.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:21:59 pm by High Max »

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
We're at about 500 downloads on the MediaFire site.

Let's try to keep this thread clear of BP3 discussion for the moment - I'd like to hear more about the AoA DC for now. Anyone have kind words for specific voice actors? Favorite missions?

I have kind words for all the voice actors, except the one playing the GTT Cyrus: good job, everyone.

After playing the DC, I keep hearing the good Colonol's voice every time I take a shower in the morning.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:22:12 pm by High Max »

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Thanks very much for that. And I can guarantee that we're definitely going to have a way more MilSF-inspired campaign in WiH.

Including random bits of pilot slang and other assorted milspeak.
****in' A.