Author Topic: PCS2 Insignia editor  (Read 12529 times)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Re: PCS2 Insignia editor
Remember that they're limited to 10 triangles in game.

Would everyone be happy with just the second option?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
As long as it works, . . . . It works :yes:

Now how does this work, is it a plugin or a new standalone build?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
The previous link has been updated with the changes. It's a new build; I guess it'll get merged into the main branch after a bit of testing.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
They used to be, back when they had no opacity. Now they're partially transparent, and they ought to be affected by mission lighting as normal.

except that has nothing to do with anything. insignia have normals defined on a per face basis, you need per vertex normals to allow anything other than flat shading. transparency has nothing to do with lighting. this is a data limitation, there is no way to fix it short of making a new separate insignia chunk.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
That's freaking brilliant man. :D Awesome job!

4 things:
1) Minor issue - when you hit 'project' the displayed insignia doesn't change/update until you get out of the insignia editor and then go back to it.
2) Can we place the 'position' via the ctrl+mouse click dragging system used everywhere else in PCS2? I expect that's already something you planned to do but just in case! It would make placement much quicker and easier. :)
3) If you open a model that already has an insignia and add another one, you get the project button appearing on the new one, but none of the vector entry text boxes appear, and the button itself doesn't do anything (kinda obviously).
4) The subdivision option looks like it can make an insignia that has way more faces than the game allows (which I thought was 8 but 10 is better! Lets go with 10) so would it be possible to build that limitation in?

Oh and some nice default values that get an insignia projection plane displaying as soon as you enter projection mode would be awesome. :) Ie: Position: 0:10:0, Projection Vector: 0:-1:0, and....a reasonable subdivision value

But seriously wow - you've gone above and beyond, and I'm very impressed!  :yes:
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
That's freaking brilliant man. :D Awesome job!

4 things:
1) Minor issue - when you hit 'project' the displayed insignia doesn't change/update until you get out of the insignia editor and then go back to it.
Changing the selected insignia/face/point should trigger an update. I may look into it at some point. The auto-generate paths buttons seems to work the same way.

2) Can we place the 'position' via the ctrl+mouse click dragging system used everywhere else in PCS2? I expect that's already something you planned to do but just in case! It would make placement much quicker and easier. :)
That should be doable, but getting everything to move with a centre point will take more digging.

3) If you open a model that already has an insignia and add another one, you get the project button appearing on the new one, but none of the vector entry text boxes appear, and the button itself doesn't do anything (kinda obviously).
Interesting; that doesn't happen for me. The button doesn't do anything if the values aren't valid.

4) The subdivision option looks like it can make an insignia that has way more faces than the game allows (which I thought was 8 but 10 is better! Lets go with 10) so would it be possible to build that limitation in?
The way it works is it more or less projects subdivision*subdivision (this probably needs renaming now) points inside the square onto the model and it includes all the first polygons hit, clipped to fit inside the square, and then shifted back by the back off value (in practice the polygons get projected onto the plane of the square but the result is equivalent). Changing the resolution will only change how likely it is to miss small polygons and how long it takes. The number of triangles is entirely dependent on the geometry so it's important to target well. A smallish bump in the limits would probably suffice for most cases.

Oh and some nice default values that get an insignia projection plane displaying as soon as you enter projection mode would be awesome. :) Ie: Position: 0:10:0, Projection Vector: 0:-1:0, and....a reasonable subdivision value
It's possible, but the default values would be completely arbitrary. The default subdivision value of 128 should work in essentially all circumstances where the insignia will fit into 10 or so triangles.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
1 and 2 are done/fixed. 3 has been worked around.

Are there any other comments?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:48:58 pm by Spicious »

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Ah so much better with the drag and drop positioning and instant feedback with the project button! Very very nice! :D

I'm still having trouble with the number of polygons it creates, but I can see how careful location selection would work. I just keep ending up with dozens and dozens of small triangles forming the overall insignia, even though the surface the insignia might be on is actually quite flat but has some extra edges (or worse, an unnecessary vert or two) across it.

Again though I'm so impressed by this. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I've got it merging approximately coplanar polygons with shared edges. The "approximately" may mean yet another fiddly option for picking the tolerance.

There would be pictures but the upload folder is full and I can't be bothered putting them somewhere else.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well this isn't good.  I just tried this out.  Opened first .dae model, tried global input from existing pof, and it just locks up reading objects.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Insignia build updated with the change mentioned above. Please try it out!

Well this isn't good.  I just tried this out.  Opened first .dae model, tried global input from existing pof, and it just locks up reading objects.
Does it still happen if you save it as say pmf first and then try the import? Can it load the existing pof normally?
I can take a look if you provide me with the files.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Not entirely sure of what behaviour I'm looking for sorry? Pics would definitely help! :p
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Before and after the change:

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Oh right! That would indeed be awesome - I shall test when I get home. :)
Twisted Infinities

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I've lost the link  :nervous:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How did you lose Spicious' sig?  :wtf:
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Last time i got this ist was in a post, i don't tend to re-read sigs in all honesty.

Thanks for the indirect hint though. Mwah x :yes:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Awesome - seems to work quite nicely! Well done indeed! :D

The insig poly limits in FSO do still need to be bumped though - I'm still getting quite high counts on relatively flat surfaces that would be ideal for insignia that would obviously crash if the 11 poly limit is still in place. Would a bump be possible?
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Merged into master.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Is it possible to add nameplates to big ships with this?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.