Author Topic: Battlefleet Gothic: The RTS  (Read 36166 times)

Re: Battlefleet Gothic: The RTS
Story trailer? Story trailer.

<snip>

Plz note: Planet Killer. Activated Blackstone Fortresses.

:jaw:

This game had my curiosity. Now it has my attention.

Offline crizza

Truth be told?
The trailer is neat, I can't wait to blast the Planetkiller apart and so forth.
But the story, exactly what do we expect from a game like this? Fighting the amazing battles of the 12th Black Crusade :nod:

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
But the story, exactly what do we expect from a game like this? Fighting the amazing battles of the 12th Black Crusade :nod:

Sadly that means it will be an "Imperium is da greatest"-storyline since they appear to focus on a one faction campaign. But then again, how to you display the Imperium of Man as what it is in the fluff at the scale of warship battles?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline crizza

If they're willing, they could create a campaign which uses a corruption system so you could switch sides at some point.

Sadly that means it will be an "Imperium is da greatest"-storyline since they appear to focus on a one faction campaign. But then again, how to you display the Imperium of Man as what it is in the fluff at the scale of warship battles?

That's unsurprising given the Imperium is by far the most interesting faction in 40k.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Never played any GW games, but I've seen the ships at my Friendly Local Game Store and been horrified at the thought of modeling any of these. Glad to see someone was up to the task!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline 0rph3u5

That's unsurprising given the Imperium is by far the most interesting faction in 40k.

That depends ... considering a) most of the fluff is written with the intention to make your root for the Imperium of Man while often glossing over its more horrific aspects -all which are tolerated "because there worse out there" (most recently the Black Libary Trilogy "Priests/Lords/Gods of Mars" made a valient effort, and failed IMO to resolve that dualism) and b) there is barely any fluff written in which the other factions are protagonists (it turned a bit for my favorites the Eldar, who got a Craftworlder Trilogy - only the 3rd, Outcast/Corsair one is any good - and a Dark Eldar Trilogy - which is good)

I might be in the minority here but some of the best Warhammer 40k stories I read were not very friendly with the Imperium (e.g. "Lord of Night" had a superb subplot that showed that event the authority of the Inquisition doesn't help you if you are a psyker or a mutant, an angry mob will try to lynch all the same while Arbitres are content to watch)

EDIT: but besides that, what I really wonder is if they can manage to pull off the Paradox that is Abaddon the Despoiler - which might not be possible in an Imperium-centred campaign; for those not in the know: Abdaddon the Despoiler is the Warmaster of Chaos who has failed his way to victory for the 10.000 years in universe - his Black Crusades are all eventually defeated (except for the 13th one which is per decree from GW the next big thing to happen in-universe) but somehow he always come out of them with more followers and a little more of Imperium of Man corrupted in the long run
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:28:34 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
That depends

You've missed a key point. The Imperium is the most interesting precisely because it is the most-fluffed faction. The contradictions in Imperial culture and behavior and the sheer insanity of much of what goes on in any particular location or group give it an authenticity as a truly galactic civilization where no properly monolithic culture could ever work and where countless enclaves believe in things that no one else could ever take seriously; witness our own planet's variety. We know enough about the Imperium to find it interesting.

The Eldar, with their inbuilt strict monocultures (Craftworld and Dark both; yes, the Dark Eldar are in fact a strict monoculture, there's no cultural variation to them), are less interesting and less distinct inherently, and their lack of fluff doesn't help. The Tyranids are custom-built to be terrifying antagonists but could never make a good viewpoint; so were the Oldcrons. The Newcrons are trying to branch out but to date it's less convincing (probably the best of the Newcron fluff has been written by Fantasy Flight, no GW). The Tau could make an interesting faction, in time, given focus, but aside from an abortive period around Fire Warrior it hasn't come. Chaos is in an awkward place with only a few of its own factions actually able to pull off a believable portrayal of what it is, and some of the better "Chaos" portrayals like the Night Lords books are flat not actually that Chaos-y. (The HH books are doing better on this. Sometimes.) The attempted rehabilitation of Abaddon in the last few years as not the perpetual failure the fandom sees him as indicates the deeper problems, though.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I might be in the minority here but some of the best Warhammer 40k stories I read were not very friendly with the Imperium (e.g. "Lord of Night" had a superb subplot that showed that event the authority of the Inquisition doesn't help you if you are a psyker or a mutant, an angry mob will try to lynch all the same while Arbitres are content to watch)

Given that this is the franchise which invented the term 'grimdark' I don't think you're in the minority there; but the grimdark Imperium is far more characterful and fun than any of the grimdark other factions.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline crizza

Abaddons Black Crusades all failed eventualy but the 13th gave him a foothold on Cadia, while the Imperium retained it's naval supremacy.
Since Age of Sigmar happened, the rumormill is churning about the end times happening in 40k and Abaddon finishing what Horus started... at least that would drive the Tyranids away :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
From a lore perspective, can the nids actually threaten chaos? Or could they just hide inside the warp forever?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

The 'nids deaden the Warp wherever their fleets are so I guess if they got big enough they'd null out the whole thing.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Oh snap
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline crizza

This is not what I meant, if Abaddon takes Terra, he'll most certainly destroys the Astronomicon and it is this, what draws the Tyranids into our galaxy.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is not what I meant, if Abaddon takes Terra, he'll most certainly destroys the Astronomicon and it is this, what draws the Tyranids into our galaxy.

Except the Tyranids are already here or en route. There is no reason for them to stop just because that little beacon goes out.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 0rph3u5

The 'nids deaden the Warp wherever their fleets are so I guess if they got big enough they'd null out the whole thing.

The nids don't cancel out the warp, what is called the "Shadow in the Warp" and accompanies the approach of the Tyranids is the presence of the Hive Mind in the Warp - each psyker that tries to tap into the warp while in the reach of the Tyranid synapse has to push past this presence and defend against its attacks, which is why the psykers on worlds under attack die or go mad

The old Necron fluff was about calming and blocking out the Warp ... but that is no longer the chase since Necrons are now more then just the mindless armies of the C'Tan (and the C'Tan are funcionally dead)

From a lore perspective, can the nids actually threaten chaos? Or could they just hide inside the warp forever?

The power of the Chaos gods is derived from the existing mortal souls - since they can tap into all the expanse of humanity, they are as powerful as they are in 41st millenium ... killing off every mortal in the physical realm would greatly deminish their strength, if not threaten their existance

The problem if the followers of Chaos were hide in the warp the mortals would be drawn into the conflicts in the Realm of Chaos, which for one only has physical attributes when it has accomodate mortals - otherwise it is just "waves" of physic energy - and secondly would lead to them all dying in a conflict since in the Daemons are not as fragile as they are in the material universe . On top of that mortals would be exposed to the effects of the warp which lead them to be possessed, mutated and/or preyed upon my daemons for power which all in the end would find kill them... Chaos is not exactly a safe life choice unless you actually make it too daemonhood (become partial to one of Big Four, functional immortallity and health benefits included, until they are sick of you and reabsorb you)

Given that this is the franchise which invented the term 'grimdark' I don't think you're in the minority there; but the grimdark Imperium is far more characterful and fun than any of the grimdark other factions.

Because there is more there and what is there about xenos is usually functionally only to provide antagonists which show us the attributes of the Imperials...

The intersting part about e.g. the Eldar is hidden in the margins only by the want of space - the Craftworlds are not a single monoculture, thought the Path is a dominant neccesity (Eldar who are not on the Path cannot live on the Craftwolds because they could not comprehend the way the CW Eldar organize), and are different from each other:e.g. Biel-Tan is not ruled by the Farseers like the rest but the Court of Young King (the most powerful exarchs) shares equal power, Saim-Han is less a unified society but a bunch of clans who happen to have taken the same boat out of the old Eldar Empire, Iybraesil is a matriarchy as opposed to the -implied- gender neutral societies, Iyanden's Spiritseers are no longer able to put the dead eldar of their Craftworld (given new bodies as Wraithguard) to fully rest which leads to them "living" with their living kin etc. etc.. Even their goal are different by degree: e.g. Biel-Tan and Iyanden want to reclaim space for a new eldar empire, Lugganath would rather see the Eldar flee the material universe and hide in the webway (like the Harlequins, as well as most of the Corsairs and Dark Eldar)...

I could go on but since I don't have reprint of the Doom of Mymera, which revises the Corsair-fluff, I rather not
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 03:47:04 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline crizza

Except the Tyranids are already here or en route. There is no reason for them to stop just because that little beacon goes out.
Well, the Nids started moving towards the galaxy during the HH.
So, if the Astronomicon was snuffed out, they would loose their... fixpoint.

Offline 0rph3u5

Well, the Nids started moving towards the galaxy during the HH.
So, if the Astronomicon was snuffed out, they would loose their... fixpoint.

Tyranid advance elements have been in the Galaxy for some time ... at least M35, which is when the first genestealers have been reported in Imperial space (and Genestealer colonies act as psycic beacons to Tyranid fleets) - so they might have other beacons not just the Astronomicon to guide them into the Galaxy - but by the end of M41 the point is mute anyway since the first three Hive Fleets have already arrived

==================

Offline crizza

So the Genestealers took 4000 years to arrive in the galaxy... damn, they're slow.

Offline 0rph3u5

A new Chaos Trailer:

==================