Author Topic: Big projecile Turret accuracy  (Read 2563 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Big projecile Turret accuracy
I noticed it is somewhat spastic. Ships have a tendency to fire 2-3 salvos perfectly accurate, then the next 2-3 are not even in the direction of the enemy.
Literally missing a stationary sathanas by a WIIIIIDE margin. And I mean completely. Think of a 2D plane then think of shooting 90° angle away from your target. That's how much the turrets sometimes miss. And it all seems completely random.

The biggest examples of it I've seen were in TBP and Exile (especially the last mission). I'm curious as to what could possibly be causing such turret behavior.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Big projecile Turret accuracy
The simplest explanation is that they're shooting at something else, for whatever reason.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The simplest explanation is that they're shooting at something else, for whatever reason.

There were no hostile capitals present. And the weapons were anti-capital only. Huge ass railguns and plasma cannons.

Offline CKid

Was their weapon subsystem knocked out? I seen the same thing in other mods when the capships main weapons were large blobs. They would have difficulty hitting the side of a destroyer.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah it's weapons subsystem damage.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
The biggest examples of it I've seen were in TBP and Exile (especially the last mission). I'm curious as to what could possibly be causing such turret behavior.
Actually not the last mission, cuz everything seems to be working fine there, but Day of Reckoning mission [M23] was a real pain in the ass in that case. There is Orion class destroyer there that aim perfectly until Moloch-class corvette appears. Orion is firing all around it no matter the fact that it's aiming properly to other targets in this mission... And it's aiming correctly to other Molochs in rest of the missions o__O.

I was thinking it's AI bug, but finally we never found a proper solution for this.

This is present in other mods too. Issue is occuring with mass-firing, anti-cap, swarm/salvo blob turrets. It looks like all big blobs are firing to one point outside of the ship, only to change it to another random, similar point half of a second later. This point is never on target anyway.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Is this only on multi-part turrets or is it any type.  If it is, here's a thought:

Turret has flag to only fire down normals.
Turret has flag to reset when idle.
Turret does not have flag to "fire on target"

Result, turret aims to fire on target for first salvo, due to a combination of fire-wait and any other factors that dictate turret fire rate, and whatever time factor it takes for the "reset when idle" flag to trigger, it resets to default.  Then the time to fire the next salvo comes around, but the turret is not aiming at the target... it's at its idle position, and since it is not told to wait until the barrels are pointed at the target, it fires off the next salvo, pointed at nothing in particular.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
In Exile, multiparts have all three, but I doubt if this is source of the problem. Turrets are not returning to default rotation between individual shots, and first shot is not aimed correctly. As I said, they are taking random point around it's target, fire one or two times, and change to another similar point.

Also I encountered problem you mentioned. If I remember correctly, in some dumped mod files. In that case, turrets were firing far from it's target. Mostly to empty space.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are you guys sure this isn’t weapons subsystem damage? We had this problem in BP on the Solaris and it was weapons subsystem damage.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Are you guys sure this isn’t weapons subsystem damage? We had this problem in BP on the Solaris and it was weapons subsystem damage.

Doubt it. IIRC, ships that warp in and are at 100% seem to miss too.

Then again, the last 2 tests I did with my own ships didn't exhibit this behavior.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Use an event to damage the weapons subsystem and see if it happens. This exact behavior is what we saw.

Or better yet if you've got a somewhat reliable test case, guardian your weapons subsystems & see if it still happen.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Should weapon subsystem damage really cause THAT big of a miss? Theres a difference between "less accurate" and "can't hit a planet from orbit".

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
To a human, it's obvious to be more realistic, but if the AI is programmed to miss, then that's what it will do.

It's almost like goofy wrote the code

... ah yuk....