Author Topic: How do I run my MOD using Knossos?  (Read 2946 times)

How do I run my MOD using Knossos?
I am working on Japanese localization mod but I can't get it working with Knossos.

1. How do I use test builds (and debug builds) with Knossos? I need newer builds which supports Unicode text and SRT subtitles.

2. How do I add my mod to Knossos launcher? It consists of mission files, table files and mod.ini.

Japanese localization mod is almost finished, and now I am writing a tutorial on how to install FSO.
I've been using FSO installer and wxLauncher but I don't know much about Knossos.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: How do I run my MOD using Knossos?
Use the "Development" tab in Knossos to create mods and custom builds that can be selected in the "Home" tab. I recommend first playing around with the development tab. It's pretty user friendly, just click 'Create' then name your mod, make a package and then put the necessary files in that package.

On a broader note, I think these translation packages should be available somewhere else, too. If English ins't your first language (or you're barely able to read it), you probably won't look first on a installer like Knossos for something that helps you.
That you're writing an install tutorial is a good thing, anyway. :)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
To install nightlies, go to your settings (cog icon in the upper-right corner) select Nightlies as your preferred stability, save, go to the explore tab, and either install FSO from there (if you don't see an install button, go to the details page). After that you should be able to select the nightly build you just installed on the dev tab on the "FSO Settings" tab or by opening a mod's "FSO Settings" window from the context menu on the Home tab.

With a bit of additional work we could probably localize Knossos but I currently lack the time necessary for this. You'd need someone with Python and JavaScript experience for this.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd still rather see other languages folded into Freespace via the actual localisation features the game has rather than in separate language mods. What exactly prevented you from doing that Nikogori? Maybe we can fix it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Use the "Development" tab in Knossos to create mods and custom builds that can be selected in the "Home" tab. I recommend first playing around with the development tab. It's pretty user friendly, just click 'Create' then name your mod, make a package and then put the necessary files in that package.

To install nightlies, go to your settings (cog icon in the upper-right corner) select Nightlies as your preferred stability, save, go to the explore tab, and either install FSO from there (if you don't see an install button, go to the details page). After that you should be able to select the nightly build you just installed on the dev tab on the "FSO Settings" tab or by opening a mod's "FSO Settings" window from the context menu on the Home tab.

Thank you. It took me a while (I didn't know what "package" means) but now everything works fine.

I'd still rather see other languages folded into Freespace via the actual localisation features the game has rather than in separate language mods. What exactly prevented you from doing that Nikogori? Maybe we can fix it.

Because it was originally made as an independent project. Actually my localization mod is based on old Japanese Localization Patch, which doesn't require SCP builds. It was created 9 years ago and I wasn't there.
I asked project lead (komet) and he gave me permission to modify it so that it can be used with latest SCP and MediaVPs.

It would be nice if Japanese translation is integrated into FS2 Open, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that. Both I and komet don't know how to get in touch with other contributors.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That sort of highlights the point I've made multiple times about licensing mods. The whole problem could have been avoided if the creators had simply slapped a CC license on their work. Does the patch do anything other than translating the game? Cause I can't see why the creators would be upset about you changing things to use tables rather than missions, it's not like you're altering any of the core parts of their work, just simply moving it somewhere so that all Freespace mods can make use of Japanese.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]