Author Topic: RELEASE: wxLauncher 0.10.1 beta [Updated 2015/09/26]  (Read 671025 times)

Offline kkmic

Re: [Updated Feb 6, 2010] Announcing wxLauncher 0.7.1 public alpha
The easyflags droplist has ATM the same options as the old launcher. We'll consider adding the recommended  values to a new entry in the easyflags, since the easyflags list will get a _major_ overhaul.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments will be lost in time... like... tears... in rain. (pause) Time... to die.

wxLauncher 0.9.4 Beta | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
A minimize button.

And I'm probably the only one to encounter this, but I have an application called WinRoll that allows me to "window shade" rollup windows,

If I "roll up" the wxLanucher, the "Advanced Settings" feature list then completely fills the window on roll down and nothing else is available, necessitating a restart.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:55:55 pm by Zacam »
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too

I have not looked at the source but from what I see in the executable you need to use sizers, it will make your interface a lot cleaner and dynamic.

also make the play button a lot bigger and prominent.
We are using sizers (everywhere actually) , which is why some of the elements are so flattened against each other as the sizers do not have any boarders set.  What specifically were you thinking was not done with sizers?

well the layout seems static, for one thing the border isn't resizeable, for another thing the controls aren't distributed evenly. I supposed this could just be because it's an early build, but that's normally the first thing I fix with interface code, before I even make the interface functional. but I suppose that's just the way I do it.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
A minimize button.
Windows does not allow having the context help question mark and a minimize/maximize box on the title bar at one time. That being said we are going to have to do something so that there is a context help button on linux and OSX as they do not provide those as options.

I have not looked at the source but from what I see in the executable you need to use sizers, it will make your interface a lot cleaner and dynamic.

also make the play button a lot bigger and prominent.
We are using sizers (everywhere actually) , which is why some of the elements are so flattened against each other as the sizers do not have any boarders set.  What specifically were you thinking was not done with sizers?

well the layout seems static, for one thing the border isn't resizeable, for another thing the controls aren't distributed evenly. I supposed this could just be because it's an early build, but that's normally the first thing I fix with interface code, before I even make the interface functional. but I suppose that's just the way I do it.
So far we have not had any reason to make the interface move controls around that is why they are "static".  As for the window not being re-sizable, it is consciously that way because as with moving the controls we have not seen the point.  That is, all of the controls and the layout are designed to be more or less the same size no matter the resolution.

As for the controls not being spaced correctly, that is more to do with that we have not finalized what controls and there respective sizes well be (actually we have yet to move some controls to a different tab all together).  Because of this, I have not spent the time to fiddle to make the controls look decently spaced.

That being said, this is the time to get your 2 cents in about the layout of the launcher, like Karajorma, The_E and Zacam have already. So if there is some design pattern that you think would work better we would be happy to hear it.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
having a resizeable frame and have all the controls inside adjust properly should be trivial to implement if your using sizers. resizeable dialogs are generally preferred in most of the HCI guidelines I recall reading, though I can't think up a specific pattern off the top of my head.

similarly with the location, sizers don't usually lend themselves to some of the odd uneven distributions, like what you see in the basic settings tab for example. I would have expected all those high level group boxes to have been even with each other, and filled the available horizontal space.

but it's WIP, very early alpha, so what eva.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
A minimize button.

And I'm probably the only one to encounter this, but I have an application called WinRoll that allows me to "window shade" rollup windows,

If I "roll up" the wxLanucher, the "Advanced Settings" feature list then completely fills the window on roll down and nothing else is available, necessitating a restart.

Replicated it. I had in rolled up, and focused, and used the mouse scroll wheel and then unrolled it.

"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline kkmic

Re: [Updated Feb 10, 2010] Announcing wxLauncher 0.7.2 public alpha
 :bump:

Feb 10 Update. Check the first post for details.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments will be lost in time... like... tears... in rain. (pause) Time... to die.

What are profiles btw?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
What are profiles btw?

Glad you asked, to steal the explanation directly from the (incomplete) wxLauncher help manual:
Quote from: Help > wxLauncher Overview > Profiles
Profiles are one of the biggest features introduced by wxLauncher. It allows you to save various "snapshots" of the launcher settings, for ease of access. Think of them like the "save" feature in the modern games. You can save your current settings and restore them later.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 04:53:23 pm by Iss Mneur »
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: [Updated Feb 12, 2010] Announcing wxLauncher 0.7.3 public alpha
wxLauncher 0.7.3 public alpha released
0.7.3 fixes:
  • [multimod] commands that include single backslashes are interpreted correctly and not mangled
  • The links in the mod info windows now open in an external browser correctly.

:bump:

Offline kkmic

What are profiles btw?

Just like each user on a computer has it's own settings, files, etc., a wxLauncher profile stores the state of each game option available. That means that you can save the settings required for a particular  MOD/TC in a profile, and later, when you want to play that MOD again with the same settings, you need just to select your previously saved profile, and voila!, everything is set for that MOD. You just need to hit "Play" afterward.

Another example:
Just like each pilot file stores the internal settings of FSO (controls, hud colors, etc), each profile stores the external settings (launch options).

Profiles ARE NOT a replacement for pilots! They are completely unrelated!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
could it be possible to share profiles? so if I tweak my lighting settings and whatnot, someone wants the save settings as me I can just post a profile file?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Actually it'd be pretty damn nice idea if mods and mediavps could ship their own profile in .vp files and launcher could read it. Then user can simply choose this profile in launcher if he/she wants.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I wouldn't mind "recommended" profiles, but packing them inside a vp is not a good idea, IMHO.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Eh. It's the only reasonable place to store them if they are to be packaged at all.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In my opinion, those things should be treated like mod.inis. What if a user wants to edit the recommended profile? I am not feeling comfortable with the idea of editing files in a vp. If they are not in the vp, you can edit them easily, and you don't need to bother with any override checks (as in, checking to see if there is a copy of the file outside of the vp that supercedes the one packed away).
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
A recommended profile isn't supposed to be edited, it's what's _recommended_ by the mod.  The mod.ini serves a completely different purpose.  However, if this is specific to this particular launcher I don't think keeping it with the mod is a good idea either, unless this is some sort of standard format of generic settings that could be utilized by any launcher down the road.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Set a "Profile" group in said mod.ini (or whatever) that suggests recommended settings for the mod that they can play with, or they can select their own profile.

Problems: solved.

¤[D+¬>

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Set a "Profile" group in said mod.ini (or whatever) that suggests recommended settings for the mod that they can play with, or they can select their own profile.

Problems: solved.

This is our kkmic's and my preferred solution as we outlined in our proposed Mod.ini, though we call them flagsets.  They are to work more or less the same way the easy flags that FSO provides do right now.  They are going to appear above the easy flag sets in the same list in the launcher. [flagsetideal] will be the set that causes the "recommended" image to appear in the flag list (currently it appears for all).

See http://code.google.com/p/wxlauncher/wiki/ModIniOptions#%5Bflagsetideal%5D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:00:42 pm by Iss Mneur »

Do you think it's possible to implement a "multi mode" button?  I have a number of things for testing inside my data folder (because I use them with other mods) and thus have a separate folder that I rename to "data" whenever I try multiplayer in order to get it clean.  Something like that would be nice.

Anyone with ideas about how that ought to work?