Author Topic: DEFCON! Global thermonuclear M.A.D. in glorious retro wireframe graphics  (Read 7424 times)

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
DEFCON! Global thermonuclear M.A.D. in glorious retro wireframe graphics
It's That Bit In Wargames, You Know After The Machine Plays Tic-Tac-Toe With Itself, When Old-Skool Graphics Of Nuclear Armageddon Flash Forth And Phrases Like Turkish Thrust Are Emblazoned Across The Screen And The World Ends One Hundred Times A Second Until The Computer Realises That War Is Bad And No-one Can Win But Hell! At Least It Looks Good, Oh Yeah, That Bit... but a game.
(Heh, actual description in an interview.)

So, I've been looking forward to this game DEFCON ever since I heard about it.  It's by the same guys who did Uplink and Darwinia.  The graphics are simple but the gameplay sounds like it will be awesome.  Even the website domain name oozes cool -- everybody-dies.com ...because in mutually assured destruction, everybody dies ... but maybe you can die the least :drevil:

I'm looking forward to some multiplayer games of this, and I thought I'd check if anyone else in here was planning to play (or, if there were some that did not know of the game but might be interested after hearing about it).  The best part: it's only $15!  $10 if you preorder with Steam -- and it comes out tomorrow!

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Re: DEFCON! Global thermonuclear M.A.D. in glorious retro wireframe graphics
Yeah, I been keeping a lazy eye on this game too. I quite liked Uplink. Nice different kind of game. Small, simple, and laughs at the resource hog dooms and such. Unfortunatley I found out that I'm not much of a hacker. :nervous:

Anyway. First I'm going to bomb Sweden. Then it's the states. And then Russia (not that I have anything against russians, I just wan't know how many nukes it takes). :D
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Bah, nickel for every time I ended the world in Harpoon...

Nuclear release and then it's party time! Nuclear depth bombs all over the place, great fun. Just dump them with a few miles of a sub and you'll get him. Takes all the frustration out of ASW.

At least until the nuclear SS-N-12s through SS-N-21s start flying in response. Then you have problems. Hopefully you'll get all the Shipwreck/Sandbox/Sturgeon/Sampson launch platforms, but there's always that one that gets away...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 01:58:59 am by ngtm1r »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This game promises to be simple tactical fun, I am getting it regardless................ :pimp:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
actually, it comes out today. and I've already preordered it. T minus 6 hours...
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I miss Harpoon. This Defcon game looks fun though.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Theres an old game called GTNW i had on dos, cant find it though, it was mode 7 vga............. :lol:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
So did this game turn out to be any good then?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
yeah, decently.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Can you be more specific. I like the look of this game. it's ultra stylish, but does it actually play like a game or do you feel like you're watching an interactive demo?

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
try the demo, whydon'tcha?

and it plays like a game.
the first thing you do, at defcon 5, is placing your units (battleships, carriers and subs) as well radar stations, airbases and silos/air defence. then at defcon 3, I think it is, you can start moving your air and sea units (getting your fighters to recon the enemy is a good idea as you can find their installations and thusly fire nukes at those when defcon 1 is reached.
defcon 1, yes. that's when you can fire le missles. and get fired at. lots of explosions. boom!!!
- Ambrose Bierce
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Cyker

Haven't tried this yet, but it sounds a lot like a game called (I think) M.A.D. by Smallrockets...

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Just got the demo some hours ago and played against a mate a few times, and i've just got to say MAD makes for damned good watching. You really have to be careful when launching your missiles at Defcon 1, as silos serve as your primary anti-missile defense system as well as dolling out radioactive death, so when you launch ICBMs the silos, you can't intercept any missiles with that particlar silo for 120 seconds. Honestly, there's something sadistically fantastic about catching your opponent launching a massive strike with all his silos leaving himself completely defenseless, and watching him type profanities into the chat window when you surface your two submarine fleets just off his coastline and let fly with 6 volleys of 12 nukes apiece. Tens of millions perish, and your score skyrockets. Good times to be had by all. :D

I strongly recommend you at least try the demo, as it's only a 5 minute download over Steam and good for a tutorial and a two-player game online or with a CPU. :yes:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 08:12:32 am by Mefustae »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The Demo seems pretty comprehensive, albeit I've not had the chance to give it more than a cursory glance.  Interesting game - lovely graphical style too - although i'm not sure it'll usurp Mario Kart DS in this office.....

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
With the full version, it gives you an ultra-slow version, the idea being that you have a game in the office that lasts the entire day. Interoffice politics can get a lot more interesting when you're pointing nuclear arsenals at each other. :D

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I think I'm gonna buy this.  :D
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
Anyone more than me up for a game some time? I'm itching to be able to connect to another human...

only, when I did so last, I got an error and a CTD. I'll have to try again and make sure it wasn't too coincidential with me connecting to someone.
- Ambrose Bierce
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
*Raises hand* I'm always on the lookout for another person to do battle with.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I'm an american, and there's just something imensely satisfying about seeing "Moscow hit, 16.5M dead."
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Fragrag

With the full version, it gives you an ultra-slow version, the idea being that you have a game in the office that lasts the entire day. Interoffice politics can get a lot more interesting when you're pointing nuclear arsenals at each other. :D

Wasn't there an article when some newspaper bought USB controlled rocket launchers and their offices were launched into a Cold War?
"On this day...my pants are filled....with joy" -Singh, doing the pants game
My blog, with 'gorillarape' in the url, who wouldn't visit it?!