Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2672102 times)

Offline Luis Dias

Re: A celebration of Freespace
I knew there was a page I was missing. Read the FAQs and so on and didn't find that chapter.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I knew there was a page I was missing. Read the FAQs and so on and didn't find that chapter.
There's only one FAQ page. It's under the "Legal & EULA FAQ" section.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

yeah I can't read. I'm so tired today my eyes are burning. But it sorta is interesting. Gotta check if it's easy to port more architectural stuff into this SDK. I tried to do this with UE3 and it sucked so big time that I quit the first day. Then, we got to play with Lumion - which obviously uses the CryEngine 3 engine - and it's such a marvel to play with. But it's ****ing costly. To bring this price down to 19$ per month would be really cool. But I fear there's like zero features in there from the get go and use this in our pipeline seems far fetched....

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I wish The E the best of luck with his project. While UE4 does have paid subscription, there are many advantages with having UE4 engine as an alternative development platform.

While SCP has done stellar job with upgrading the FSO engine and associated tools, they come with decades old codebase and no amount of effort is going to fix all problems short of complete rewrite. UE4 engine and its associated tools are developed by Epic and contributors, who far outnumber our measly number of SCP coders. Meaning The E and anyone else willing to join his project can instead focus on meshing UE4 into a space sim platform we have always dreamed of.

Game engines are an outlet of our imagination and whichever offers the best productivity usually wins in the long run, unless money is an issue. And with those low subscription prices ($19 for UE4 and $9.9 for CryEngine) I doubt its going to be. If Star Citizen succeeds, then it means we'd have three platforms to produce whatever our imagination conjures up.

Also, let's not forget that nobody outside of FS community gives two ****s about FSO. If The E's project succeeds, that means we'd have the entire UE4 developer community at our fingertips. And those people would be certain to notice if we contribute our improvements back, making it even easier for other people to create space games on UE4. It would not be far fetched to imagine that it takes one small, dedicated community to build entire space sim platform around UE4, make it freely available to everyone and resurrect space game era. Assuming Star Citizen, EVE Valkyrie or another game doesn't do it first.

And if you doubt UE4 will ever make a good space sim platform, the folks behind EVE Online are building another game called EVE Valkyrie that uses UE4 and is a multiplayer dogfighting space sim. http://youtu.be/XkzdpW5pfSs (It's pre-alpha footage if you can't see those cat sized letters on the video)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:49:57 pm by Fury »

Offline Lorric

You certainly know how to make me feel excited Fury. :)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Battlestations: Midway IN SPAAAAACE.

yesplz
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Battlestations: Midway IN SPAAAAACE.

11/10 would buy

Meanwhile I took The Daggers lovely new Vasudan model and made it more orange...

In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline roman14

What do you think?  :D

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Heresy!
Why isn't she blowing up that star?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
She probably has her sights set on another.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
That is really pretty.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Rainbow swarm missiles! (aka $Substitute is glorious, if a bit picky)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:01:05 am by DahBlount »
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
Poor Nehru didn't realize that Admiral Bei disowned his son because he kept breaking comms silence with bursts of Erasure.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And now there are three:

Full-resolution download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/88p8ro18z74zuf5/HighresScreenshot00023.png?dl=0
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Is it still under Unreal Engine 4 ? or it comes from FSO ?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
There is still not enough utility ship models here.

So soon I will give you the Pluto gas tanker :). SolCommand is such a great guy.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Quoted from the Screenshot Contest thread, since I didn't want to clog it up with conversation.
It occurred to me that the sun is out of position based on how the Earth and Moon are illuminated.  Obviously, if they had been actual models, the shading would be accurate.  I wonder how many campaigns have lighting goofs like this.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
I'd say that kind of minor error falls under "cut the FREDder a break, they had fifty million other things to think about and let a minor graphical bug slip through" territory. I suppose standards would be higher for screenshots, but still . . .
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Mmm. Also it's using a near side of the moon texture, on the far side of the moon.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
There is no dark side of the moon.  Matter of fact it's all dark.

...wait no wrong concept