Author Topic: Error 0xc000007b - Launching from Knossos  (Read 1686 times)

Error 0xc000007b - Launching from Knossos
I am finally getting around to play Diaspora and I keep running into this error

fs2_open_3_8_1_20171118_dfdfd59_x64_sse2.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start Correctly (0xc000007b).
Click Okay to close the Application

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=90891.msg1802575#msg1802575

Talks about it very briefly and mostly just sounds like a shrug, But that thread is 6 years old.. I am hoping there is a proper workaround to fix this by now?

I installed Knossos about 6 months ago wanting to play Diaspora, and this happened then...   so I gave up and on a whim tried to launch the game a couple of months ago and it just worked with no explanation.
I recently re-installed Windows, and now it doesn't work again.

the thread says "google stuff and tell us if it works"   ... well nothing google tells me works... Either its a problem between 32 and 64 bit windows, or its a C++ Redistributable issue, or its a Direct X runtime issue.... Nothing has fixed it.

Surely by now somebody has a solution?  That would be really great.  This doesn't happen with any other game I try to launch from Knossos, only Diaspora.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Re: Error 0xc000007b - Launching from Knossos
If you're running a 32-bit version of Windows, you'll have to run a 32-bit FSO build; 64-bit builds won't run on 32-bit operating systems.

You might also try running a more recent version of FSO, as that particular build looks to be about four years old.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Is there an option to run 64 bit version of FSO / Knossos?  I just downloaded the file that was available.  I'm running Windows 11 64-bit...  had the same problem running Windows 10 64-bit.

I enabled some settings in graphics options and that got it running without crashing. I was getting the same error previously