Author Topic: Best Controller/Joystick?  (Read 5407 times)

Offline K515

Re: Best Controller/Joystick?
What do you think of the Genius MaxFighter F-23U? I now have this and it worked just swell on Independence War (Particle Systems). I have yet to try it out on FS/FS2/ST Reborn (after getting all these downloads in working order) with the cheat codes after I get my new omputer next month.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
And you still have to look for buttons if you don't have your layout memorized. :P

Well, I think the keyboard is better than any other controller at the moment. Your mileage may vary, which is understandable if you've been using something else since 1995. :)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Trackball mouse will beat a joystick in a turn intensive fight.
I've had several people wonder if I hack... but it's my mouse to their stick that's a good part of it.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I use my stick for dogfighting, and a G5 mouse for precision (i.e. hitting turrets/Maxim sniping). The EVO isn't a high-end stick by far, but it's the best value, and awesome quality.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Ole

Using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Guess it's gonna fall apart some day, but I got used to it, not to mention the cheap price (about 25 €, probably cheaper now).

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force. It's a really great joystick; it's got a a rudder, POV controller, and a throttle, not to mention ample buttons for any player. I'd recommend it if not for the somewhat shoddy power supply they send with it. Course, that might just be me, so whoever is buying might want to take a look at the stick.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
BS. It's all preference.
For me Keyboard > any joystick. I have 1000% more control with it.
Your opinion =/= fact
A keyboard does have one inherent shortcoming versus a joystick in that it's a strictly binary input system; you're either activating a particular control, or you're not.  A keyboard doesn't allow for any fine control over the amount of input, instead (possibly) relying on some degree of ramping to convey different input levels.  I'm not saying that a long-time keyboard user wouldn't be able to overcome that obstacle, but it exists nonetheless.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Yes, that is occasionally a huge problem, especially in racing games such as Daytona USA, where full turn converts into a powerslide.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo Force. It's a really great joystick; it's got a a rudder, POV controller, and a throttle, not to mention ample buttons for any player. I'd recommend it if not for the somewhat shoddy power supply they send with it. Course, that might just be me, so whoever is buying might want to take a look at the stick.
Never had a problem with mine. When'd you buy yours? Have you had a problem with the throttle?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Zantor

• Zantor Zenodex
    • My LiveJournal: A Zenodexan's Log
I use the Saitek Cyborg Evo with my Saitek Eclipse keyboard; it works well for me. The problem I run into with some games (such as X2 The Threat) is the throttle is too sensitive, and the gimbal mechanism could use a bit of improvement in the manufacturing quality. Overall though it has tons of buttons, an 8-direction hat, is durable, and is great value for money.

Here's a pic (it's really crappy tho cuz I took it with my cell phone):

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss217/zantor64/0410091231a.jpg (1600x1200)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 09:27:06 pm by Zantor »
"We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." --Thomas Jefferson

"If the American people ever allow the banks to control the issuance of their currency... the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property, until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." --Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." --Thomas Jefferson

"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing." --Thomas Jefferson

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Never had a problem with mine. When'd you buy yours? Have you had a problem with the throttle?

It was years ago; at least 3 or so. I haven't really had a problem with the throttle. I did have some issues with the force feedback, but a drive update fixed that.