Author Topic: PCS 2 UI Discussion  (Read 36250 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
is the pof file specs up somewhere I forget which int relates to which movement type.

[edit]nevermind, I found it on the net archives, and they don't tell me what I want to know. :(

figured it out using a hex editor and the source.[/edit]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 04:54:38 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/pcs2.zip

ok, I've got the basics working for submodels, I'll get the rest of them working later. I _am_ slowly progressing on this. I still have some work to do with the way the control panel is managed, currently it is always deleted and as a result there is a somewhat noticeable flicker when you switch submodels, it might be worth the effort to either have all the controls in exsistance but only one visible, but each control holds a temporary copy of it's data so I doubt it (we'd be effectively doubling our memory usage).

we may want to consider auto-applying data when you switch data items (raqther than adding a nag), that is one thing that always pissed me off about modelview's editor.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
PCSHandler.h should have #defines for which movement type is which.. and commit your changes to cvs!
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It's looking good. :D
Not entirely sure if you want bug reports yet, but just in case:

1) The textures seem to be reading the UV map upside down. At least, that's what it looks like on all the models I've tried (you'll need to test on UV mapped ships rather than tiled ones for obvious reasons though.)
2) Loading any model with a nameplate immediately crashes PCS (fenris, hecate, deimos etc). The little status bar down the bottom left freezes at 'nameplate'.
3) Turret bases or rotating things like radar dishes don't seem to display their axis of rotation. The arms of the same turrets do though.
4) Not really a bug, but could the controls for the roll axis and the zoom get switched around? Most other 3d model windows do this, so it gets kinda awkward using one that doesn't. ;)

Can't wait to see this finished.  :yes:
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
1) he hasn't updated from CVS in a while it seems :D
2) noted, will investigate once he commits cvs updates and cvs commits
3) elaborate

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
3) Upon opening any ship with multipart turrets and/or radar dishes, say the orion, selecting SubObjects>detail-0>turret01a will select the base of that turret. All the properties display correctly, but the axis is "none" for all rotating bases. In fact, I just then noticed that the non rotating turrets actually have the X axis defined, though they're set to No Movement.

Essentially, in the second level of heirarchy (the turrets), stuff that is supposed to rotate is set to Movement Type -> Rotate but the axis is set to None. Stuff that isn't supposed to rotate is set to No Movement, but they have the X Axis defined as the Axis of rotation. This same case applies to non moving stuff like the LODs and debris.

Meanwhile the third level of heirarchy (the turret arms) are fine on both accounts.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
a lot of stuf that has no movement type will have an axis set, most model editors just blanked that out if there was no movement type so you wouldn't see it, with turrets, rotation information is sort of optional, I'm fairly sure what it is showing is what is in the file, nothing raised any red flags for me anyway.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Both PCS1 and modelview show that the orions turret01a has an axis defined for the base, though modview muddled up which one.

While I don't know if FS bothers at all with the axis defined for the turret bases, I do know it needs to be set correctly for radar dishes - currently PCS2 is displaying 'None' there as well on the orion and fenris (loading the original models).
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ok, so I need you people to do some actual discussion about something here, what would you prefer in the tree when you select an item, it shows only that item or it brings up the item's chunk with it selected?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i cant seem to get into any of the other editors. i cant load a cob. and it srews up the uv of any pofs it loads. but the tree looks nice. :D
it will be hard to judge the interface for real until its at least a little more complete and i actually have to process a model through it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 01:38:55 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
none of the other editors have been implemented yet, as I have not decided on how to implement them, hence me asking for oppionions on the matter.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i was under the impression you had. ideally id like all functionality to be preasent in the tree and on the control panels. the tree should then be set up for fast editing by advanced users who know what they are doing and want to do it as quickly as possible. the panes should be layed out for the les skilled, with more information about what everything does. also it helps advanced users quickly see any mistakes they may have made.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I think it would depend on the thing being selected.

Ie, for engine glow points assuming the tree looks like this:

Engines
|-- Thruster01
|   |--GlowPoint01
|   |--GlowPoint02
|
|-- Thruster02
    |--GlowPoint01

Selecting GlowPoint02 in the Thruster01 group for example should display in the pane what we currently see in the "Thruster" box in PCS 1.
That is:
1) The GlowPoint count of the Thruster01 group (and the add/copy/remove buttons)
2) The properties of the Thruster01 group
3) A list of the GlowPoints positions and radii present in the Thruster01, kinda like how modview displays it, with GlowPoint02 highlighted.

Selecting either of the Thruster## groups or the Engines root should display in the pane a list of the all the Thruster groups in the model along with the usual add/copy/remove buttons, as well as the Import Data button.

About 3) - best idea here I think would be a sort of mini table thing as you might have in MS Word - so the cursor can be moved around with tab or arrow keys to enable you to quickly edit any values you need to.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
can it be possible to say drag and drop a thruster glowpoint from one thruster to another, or rearange thrusters in a group via drag+drop. and when you get down to the low level bits of data like normals, position vectors, and other vars, make them interchangeable as well (so long as the data/object type is compatable).

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
i thought I fixed the UV issues in HEAD

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Just checked, and they were present in the 20070507b build.

Or do you mean what's in CVS at the moment? Ie, later stuff than that build?
Twisted Infinities

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
yes i belive so

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
can it be possible to say drag and drop a thruster glowpoint from one thruster to another, or rearange thrusters in a group via drag+drop. and when you get down to the low level bits of data like normals, position vectors, and other vars, make them interchangeable as well (so long as the data/object type is compatable).

I would very much like to do this.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
feel free to implement awesome features

*cough*cvs commit*cough*i haven't seen any commit emails*cough*

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yea get your code synced up so we can provide more useful test data.

Nuke's Scripting SVN