Author Topic: PCS 2 UI Discussion  (Read 36258 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I updated my code right after that build I posted, I've been sort of busy with stuff, I hope to know exactly what I want to do by the time I get to work on this again, (I should have time tomorrow). Ill commit when I have something that can be used (when I get the tree's basic functionality done, which should not be too huge a task). this is why I asked for discusion on how exactly everyone wanted the tree to work. and I'm thinking as of right now that selecting an item in the tree will mearly load it's chunk editor and bring the item to focus, which is also a lot easier to code than the other method.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
I'm thinking as of right now that selecting an item in the tree will mearly load it's chunk editor and bring the item to focus, which is also a lot easier to code than the other method.

that's what i had in mind when i originally coded the tree
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
it woulf be cool if you could follow every branch down to the individual data types, which could then me edited by clicking on them in the tree.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, and the way I have it coded it wouldn't be obsenely hard to do, but the more I think about it the more I realse that as cool as that might be I don't think it would be very useful, how oftine do you need to edit just the radius of a thruster, usualy it's best to have all the information at hand. I think makeing it so that selecting a data element places the curser into the relivent control will have the same effect without hideing useful information from you, and the most important thing about the tree will be the drag and drop ability to move nodes around at will, and copy data of the same type.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
that seems like it might work. editing data directly in the tree may prove more difficult than just punching the data into the right box.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
About the chunk editor, would a MS word style table format be possible?

Almost like how modview does it:

Except that you could edit values directly into the table there and use the arrow keys or tab to move between cells. Something like that strikes me as the fastest way to edit most pof data, since you could do it pretty much entirely with the keyboard.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
new build
basic tree functionality is implemented, I will probably be committing soon if no major bugs are found.

next item on the list for the tree is drag and drop functionality, but I might work on integrating the 3d display a bit more first.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Topgun

is there any way we can tell the exact size of a model?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well in the header editor it will give you the max radius and bounding box for the model.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Topgun

the reason I am asking is because I am making a tie fighter for swtc fate of the galaxy and I want it to be perfectly scaled to cannon size.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
bounding box will probably be more useful to you then.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
while you all bug hunt, I'm going to wite the omnipoint code, it won't stop me from commiting because it won't be used untill after I commit. this will be the main method by which things will be edited in the 3d controls. it's basicly a 2d vector of points with a radius and normal that the editor makes and gives to the GL canvas, the GL canvas makes changes to it and sends it back to the editor, which applys these changes to it's copy of the data. flags tell the GL canvas how the data is to be used and displayed (if the normal and radius are to be used for instance). and three colors are provided for unselected items, items that are in the selected list and the selected item.

this is mostly a heads up for kazan, so he has some idea how I'm planning on going along with this sence he's probly going to have to write the low level code for this.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
that makes no sense - data should never be written to the GL canvas.. the GL canvas is not in any way part of the data storage - it's just displaying - consider all actions in relation to it const - i'm not sure what you're trying to describe or do there

any flags/bits of data you need to store for it should be stored as runtime-only variables inside the PCS file class, just like the variables that are already there.
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
I'm getting a crashes during load on a lot of models with this build that didn't happen before. A lot still work, but a lot will lock it up.

Some examples of retail models that freeze it:
- awacs2t-01
- BeamSaber
- bomber2t-01
- bomber2t-03
- bomber2v-02
- bomber04 up to bomber10

to name a few.

Also, clicking on the turrets item in the tree on a model that doesn't have any causes an instant CTD.

The tree itself looks great so far though. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

I just noticed something, maybe you already know it.  When load a model, it'll view very nicely, but if you maximize the window, it disappears.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
@VA: I still have a bit of buffer protection to implement, it's probly trying to read or write to something that doesn't exsist, which will crash it like that. if it crashes after the progress bar on the bottom fills all the way, then it's probly my fault.

@SD: the renderer doesn't seem to handle changeing aspect ratio's properly, try moveing the editor or tree panes to make the render window bigger (or smaller), that might help for the moment.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
As far as I can tell, it's crashing before the loading bar fills. It's a bit tricky to tell though, since it's so fast at loading. ;)

The "Loading Model" text down the bottom right appears, and it hangs there for a second or so with no apparent movement on the bar before the menu bar and tree view white out. After that point it just stays that way - there's no eror message of any kind.
Twisted Infinities

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
actualy looking at it, it seems to be crashing in SignalModelChange before hitting any of my code, around the multi-threaded stuff, so that's probly not my bug, see if the most recent build Kaz released does it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 12:37:38 am by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Oh....
Yeah it does happen in Kaz' latest build.

I guess I just didn't notice when testing that version, though I wonder how I could have missed something like that. :\
Twisted Infinities

I see the problem...

Load a model, it'll appear in the view,
now resize the toolbar (either one) and it'll get messed up. (the model gets distorted)

It looks like your trying to maintain the aspect ratio, when you should be maintaining model size.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"