Author Topic: Why are the FS1 mission bugs not fixed?  (Read 11577 times)

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Why are the FS1 mission bugs not fixed?
Hiya.

Nu to the forum, 1st post. Thought I'd start off w/ some grievances. That's always a nice how-do-you-do, innit?

D/L'd the port. Nice work. Cheers. Immediately entered the FS1 campaign to check if my pet peeve(s) is(are) still there. Oh yeah, it/they is/are. Now yours truly is wundering why.

Lemme 'splain:

'The Hammer and the Anvil'
If the Omega wing Isis transports make it past the initial skirmish (god forbid), and somehow manage to chug along all the way to the Arcadia installation without being turned to vapor, all three of them will try to occupy the same pixel endlessly, instead of jumping out. The Andromeda behaves normally, if she by Divine Intervention™ makes it to the installation. A simple and very novice 'waypoints' versus 'waypoints-once' bug. The Isis's are hellbent on their quest for the sole pixel, and will intercollide until only one remains. With full time compression and strong drink, this Death Dance of theirs can be fun to watch. Nevertheless, it's still a bug. Of sorts.

'The Aftermath'
At the mission post mortem (for the uninitiated; the stuff that goes on after all the objectives are done) which happens after all the enemies have been obliterated, the various transports and stuff head off into seemingly oblivion, with the Pinnacle hot on their heels. The transports and stuff are heading for their departure points, and when they reach those points they stay put, waiting for the Pinnacle to reach her point. When all ships and wings and stuff have, they all happily warp out in unison (more or less). Thing is; after reaching the jump-out point, Sigma Wing does a 180-turn + heads back to from whence it started. Ramming the Pinnacle while at it. Another novice 'waypoints-once' thingie. They're all over the place.

Plus numerous others that I can't recall OTTOMH.

Are these going to be fixed? If so, when? Does anyone even care?:D

vateva
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 01:18:29 pm by 3106 »
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
"Something wrong with your jump drive, pilot?" :p

To be honest we hadn't noticed those when they were ported, as they occur after the mission objectives have been resolved and don't affect gameplay. But since you've brought them up, we'll tweak them for Release 3. Thanks!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nuclear1

Re: Why are the FS1 mission bugs not fixed?
Originally posted by Selectah
'The Hammer and the Anvil'
If the Omega wing Isis transports make it past the initial skirmish (god forbid), and somehow manage to chug along all the way to the Arcadia installation without being turned to vapor, all three of them will try to occupy the same pixel endlessly, instead of jumping out. The Andromeda behaves normally, if she by Divine Intervention™ makes it to the installation. A simple and very novice 'waypoints' versus 'waypoints-once' bug. The Isis's are hellbent on their quest for the sole pixel, and will intercollide until only one remains. With full time compression and strong drink, this Death Dance of theirs can be fun to watch. Nevertheless, it's still a bug. Of sorts.

:lol:

This sequence never truly bothered me in the original Freespace; instead, I found it amusing. And you, sir, just reminded me of why, just... worded differently. :lol:

Oh, and one more thing.

:welcome:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
It's not a pixel, it's a voxel. Three dimensions. :p
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Cheers for da welcome, NukeOne.

Well alrighty then, it's a voxel. Whilst in the spirit of nitpicking; is there some sure-fire way to get rid of all the reefer crazed Isis pilots?

Lemme 'splain, no?

'A failure to communicate'
When the Hope has reached the Communications Station, an Isis repair craft magically appears as if out of nowhere. Awlroit, it actually pops out of the Hope's docking bay, thar's no Blakk Magikk involved. Thing is, at times the docking bay from whence it emerges is located at the opposite side of the Hope, and thus the poor messed up drunkard that is piloting the Isis commences yet another suicide mission, slamming him/her/itself 'gainst the hull of the Hope, until her/his/its untimely death. I reckon the AI can not safely guide the NPS's towards a goal if there's an obstacle in their way, but can't the Hope be turned so that both the docking bay exits are in line with the Aquilae? Or whatever the station's called, can't remember.

'The Great Hunt'
I haven't checked due to lack of time, but does the Lucy have its' invulnerable flag raised in this mission? In other words, have you guys put it in? It feels kinda stupid to go through all the trouble of rubber-banding the trigger and full time compression and all, just to see the darn re-animated Lucy reappear in the next mission. I have a strange feeling that leaving the Lucy killable in this mission was merely an oversight of V, but it's still kinda weird. Lucy is unkillable in 'Doomsday', for instance. And 'Playing Judas', btw. Why is it not in this mission?

Other than that, thanks for leaving the GTFr Nelson 'as is' in the Aftermath mission. I'm refering, predictably, to the fact that players can order it to depart as soon as it arrives, leaving Vishnu wing as munchmeal for kill-hungry players.

EDIT: As kind of an afterthought due to lack of memory retention; I've noted that the Command Briefing cutscene simulation stuff thing gear in the Port is lacking the sound files from the original cutscenes. I guess it wouldn't present any kind a worry to add a tiny .wav file to the VP files. There are loads of MVE2AVI converters around. Why not rip the sound from the MVE's, and stick it to the Command Briefing cutscene stuff gear thing simulation vateva? A one minute 8-bit wav file at 11.025 kHz is only some 600K, anyways. Won't make any nevermind.

On behalf of FS Nitpickers, Inc.
-Da Selectah
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 05:28:26 am by 3106 »
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
EDIT: As kind of an afterthought due to lack of memory retention; I've noted that the Command Briefing cutscene simulation stuff thing gear in the Port is lacking the sound files from the original cutscenes. I guess it wouldn't present any kind a worry to add a tiny .wav file to the VP files. There are loads of MVE2AVI converters around. Why not rip the sound from the MVE's, and stick it to the Command Briefing cutscene stuff gear thing simulation vateva? A one minute 8-bit wav file at 11.025 kHz is only some 600K, anyways. Won't make any nevermind.
That's an intriguing idea.  I'll have to consult with Galemp.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I'd like to, but I'm not capable of doing such a thing.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If you have the AVI files (having downloaded them from GameWarden or whereever) you could simply open the movie in VirtualDub and extract the sound.  Easy.  I could do it myself if necessary.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you don't have the time, I'd be more than happy to extract the sound.  Selectah makes a good point; it'd make things a lot more immersive for people who haven't downloaded the cutscenes.  (Although I can't imagine anyone who'd willingly miss out on Hallfight. :p) I'm assuming he's just referring to the Ancients monologues, since, if my memory serves me, they're the only ones with the converted text in the briefings.

Offline Roanoke

Leave the bugs in, if only for nostalgia (sp?). :p

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Mongoose
If you don't have the time, I'd be more than happy to extract the sound.  Selectah makes a good point; it'd make things a lot more immersive for people who haven't downloaded the cutscenes.  (Although I can't imagine anyone who'd willingly miss out on Hallfight. :p) I'm assuming he's just referring to the Ancients monologues, since, if my memory serves me, they're the only ones with the converted text in the briefings.
Sure, that'd be appreciated. :) Just post them here when you're done.

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Heh,

Good ol' Selectah has the wav stuff on his trusty hard drive, in 8-bit 11.025 kHz format, no less. Had them for ages. Thing is; this hack of vBulletin won't allow me to post attachments.

What's a goil to do?
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
That's intentional.  HLP has enough space concerns to worry about without giving all of its users attachment capability.  If you can't find somewhere to upload them, e-mail works great.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Uaargh!! E-mail?!!

But... but.. then you can track my identity.. then you can spam my boxes into oblivion...

Hmm.. come to think of it; the admins/mods can do that already.. Okay, who's a goil to send the zip file to? 'Tis 2.4 MB, anyways.

Whilst searching thru me old FS archives, I also noticed that I have the fully-voiced and bug-corrected FS2 Demo Campaign as a 9 MB VP file quietly residing on an ancient CD, just to stick in the FS2 root + play. Ah, the good ol' times when I actually did some FS stuff.. Does any1 care about such a file?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 02:05:42 am by 3106 »
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
in 8-bit 11.025 kHz format
That's rather low, especially for cutscenes.  44,100 16-bit stereo would be better.

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Eh? That's the format of all the other audio in the game. An untrained ear won't really hear the difference, anyhoo. Plus, the MVE format only has 30kHz, 16bit stereo audio, making a 44.1 Khz resample operation extremely redundant and useless. I've my OE open w/ zip attached, jus' waiting for an e-address..

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 09:15:51 am by 3106 »
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Goober should IM you with his email address, I think. Besides, you can't add attachments with the board e-mail function.

And this is a completely random place to ask for this, but does anyone have the balanced single-player conversion of Operation Templar?

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Cheers for the vBulletin info, GalEmp.

Hey, is there some semi-official version of the Templar thingie floating around, or is it just, like, any TempCamp? I think I have an ancient VP somewhere on a CD. Anyhoo, IIRC it's was a really easy piecey to slap together. I did one for meself just for kicks. Y'guys can do it in ten minutes flat. Tops.
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Yeah, but at the moment it's balanced for FOUR pilots of Alpha One capability, making it really really hard to get anything done. There should be a fixed version floating around somewhere that's been properly adjusted, not just by setting the difficulty to Very Easy.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I, for one, would be interested in that demo VP, although it might be a little big to squeeze into an e-mail.  I know the two missions were included with at least one of the FS2 versions, but it wasn't nearly the same without voiceacting.  I only bought FS2 last year, when Interplay was having their 20th anniversary sale, but I played through that demo several times before that.  The graphics blew me away. :)