Author Topic: Crashing at debriefing?  (Read 5041 times)

Crashing at debriefing?
I thought I'd give the port a try, and I love what I've seen so far.  I think I have everything working except for one thing.  For some reason, mission 3 crashes whenever I jump out.  It looks like it's trying to load the debriefing, but whether I complete or fail the mission, it still crashes.  I could just skip the mission, but this will probably happen in other missions too.

I'm using the 3.6.9 build and the 3.0.4 mod.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Crashing at debriefing?
Are you using the HTL Apollo?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I don't think so.  The rest of the models did seem to be the HTL ones.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
The HTL Apollo isn't in the Media VPs, so unless you've deliberately installed it (or used ShivanSPS's new installer) you won't have it.

So, if I get the Apollo, that will fix this problem?  :wtf:

Where can I get it?  And it just goes in \data\models right?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Actually, I was asking because I used to experience some crashes with the HTL Apollo that occurred when warping out, dying, or switching to an external view.  Odd thing was, it didn't start until about the 6th mission.  Switching to the Valkyrie on those missions prevented the crash.  I then removed the HTL Apollo and everything ran fine.  I've since extracted a slightly modified HTL Apollo from Inferno:Alliance, (which had no such problems in said mod), so that might work for me.  In any case, since you don't have the HTL Apollo installed, that obviously can't be the cause of your problems, so we're back to your first post.

Does anyone have any ideas?  This is after I just did a fresh install of Freespace and SCP a few days ago.  Should I try a different build?

*Update* - I tried the most recent CVS build, and it still crashed.

All I have in the mod folder is the fsport and missions VPs.  Then I have the voice files, movies, and animations in their respective \data folders.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:57:01 pm by NeoBasilisk »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Have you tried a debug build?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Mission 3?  That would be the one where you attack the Vasudan cargo depot, right?

Yeah, that's the mission.

I tried the debug build, and I got a little different result.  Near the end of the mission, possibly right before the cruiser jumped in, I got this error message:

Warning: Couldn't fix up turret indices in spline path

Model: cruiser01.pof
Path: $path02
Vertex: 1
Turret model id:13

This probably means that the turret was not specified in the ship table(s).
File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\ship\Ship.cpp
Line: 8737
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    parse_create_object_sub()    parse_create_object()    mission_did_ship_arrive()    mission_maybe_make_ship_arrive()    mission_eval_arrivals()    mission_parse_eval_stuff()    game_simulation_frame()    game_frame()    game_do_frame()    game_do_state()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Try running without the mediaVPs.

When I removed the standard SCP media VPs I got this message while loading the mission, but it let me continue:
---------------------------
Warning!
Warning: Can't open model file <starfield.pof>

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp

Line: 1904

[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:

model_load()    stars_set_background_model()    stars_post_level_init()    game_post_level_init()    game_start_mission()    game_enter_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 7c816fd7()

[ This info is in the clipboard so you can paste it somewhere now ]

Use Yes to break into Debugger, No to continue.

and Cancel to Quit
Yes   No   Cancel   

I was able to play the mission through until the end, then it crashed when I jumped out.  It didn't have any debug information.  It just said "Freespace 2 has encountered a problem..." or whatever it usually says.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What are your command line options?  What are your system specs?

System specs:
P4 2.8 GHz
Radeon 9700
1 GB RAM

Here's what I've been launching it with:
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_9.exe -mod Freespace 1 -spec -glow -env -jpgtga -mipmap -nomotiondebris -2d_poof -missile_lighting

And I'm running it with OpenGL at 640 x 480 if that matters.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
-mod Freespace 1

Could this be the problem?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Isn't that just telling it to use the mod in that folder?  Am I doing something wrong with that?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Isn't that just telling it to use the mod in that folder?  Am I doing something wrong with that?

I'm not sure if spaces are allowed in the mod folder names, which could mean it is looking for a folder named freespace, which would explain why it's not loading some stuff.
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Yeah, I had thought of that before you replied again and tried changing it to Freespace1, but it still crashed. 
Maybe there's a character limit for the file names...?  *runs off to check*

*edit* Nope.....

I'm really in the mood for some FS1 right now, but I don't want to install the original right now.  The updated graphics are really nice.   :confused:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 08:02:09 pm by NeoBasilisk »

Is this something that should be reported on Mantis?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Is this something that should be reported on Mantis?

Probably not, but it should be moved to the SCP forum, as it's probably more of a SCP problem.