Author Topic: FS1 Media Availability  (Read 9113 times)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
FS1 Media Availability
Allow me, Galactic Emperor.

To answer any and all future posts about the Port.

The Team has not(correct me if I'm wrong, Galactic Emperor) and will not make ANY media(cinematics, music, ect.) available.  If you have FS1 and want to go to the trouble of extracting all the aforementioned media, knock yourself out, but the amount of media exceeds 650mb and is impractical to download even with a broadband connection.

So don't ask.:headz:

p.s. GE you can make this a sticky post if you want.:yes:
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hehe, well said, Liberator. Posting said media for download would be illegal and immoral. I encourage all of you to go out and buy FS1 to get the full experience.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, so the only question is: If I have FS1 (which I do), what files do I need to copy to where in order to get the full multimedia experience?

EDIT: Never mind - stupid of me not to do a search. :p

EDIT 2: After actually reading the instructions posted elsewhere on getting the media working, I realize that I need more info.

I have FS1 and ST. What file(s) do I copy from which disc(s) to what folder(s)? Also, how about the MVE's? Can I copy them to the FS2\data\movies\ folder to get them to play?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2002, 05:16:44 pm by 214 »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Watch this space. I finally have some time this week to get extraction information posted. Movies: I have no idea if what you said would work.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
Watch this space. I finally have some time this week to get extraction information posted. Movies: I have no idea if what you said would work.

Ok, I decided heck with it and put things where I thoguht they should go. I think I got everything working except for FS1 music, which I didn't try. Here's what I have:

FS2\data\cbanim.vp (from the FS1 CD)
FS2\data\interface\cb_*.ani (extracted from the ST MDISK.VP)
FS2\data\movies\*.mve (from both FS1 CD's)
FS2\data\tables\weapons.tbl (from the FS1 Port website where it says "Download Weapons- This includes all the Freespace 1 weapons and animations.")

Ok, here you have to pay attention. Make sure to spell the directories correctly, including having the letter "S" at the end or not. Capitalization is not essential, though.

FS2\data\voice\briefing
FS2\data\voice\command_briefings
FS2\data\voice\debriefing
FS2\data\voice\personas
FS2\data\voice\special

In each of those directories, put the corresponding files from any and all of the FS1 .VP files that you find.

That's it. To test the voice files, extract a FS1 mission from the fs1port.vp file into the FS2\data\missions directory, open it up in FRED2, and try playing sound files from: command briefing, mission briefing, in-game chatter (events), and the debriefing. If it plays a sound file in each of those, you got it right. :D

Oh, yeah - guess what! When you extract all the FS1 movies into the data\movies dir, the good old FS1 intro plays when you load up FS2! Nice! :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2002, 03:30:57 am by 214 »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Originally posted by sandwich
Oh, yeah - guess what! When you extract all the FS1 movies into the data\movies dir, the good old FS1 intro plays when you load up FS2! Nice! :)

Hooray! I'm not sure whether to edit the campaign to include the cutscenes... it would be unfair on those without 100 gb hard drives. Plus non-FS1 owners would miss out on the Ancients readings. I think I'll throw in the Command Briefing cutscene, the shield one, and the Hall Fight, though.

Sandvich- tell me, if the campaign looks for a movie and doesn't find it, does it give you an error message? And if you have FS2 disc 2 in your CD drive as well as the FS1 intro in the movies folder, which one does it play?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

Hooray! I'm not sure whether to edit the campaign to include the cutscenes... it would be unfair on those without 100 gb hard drives. Plus non-FS1 owners would miss out on the Ancients readings. I think I'll throw in the Command Briefing cutscene, the shield one, and the Hall Fight, though.

Sandvich- tell me, if the campaign looks for a movie and doesn't find it, does it give you an error message? And if you have FS2 disc 2 in your CD drive as well as the FS1 intro in the movies folder, which one does it play?

First of all, supply 2 versions of the campaign file. The one in the .VP with references to the cutscenes, and a downloadable pack for those without FS1, which will include whatever replacement media you have in mind for the cutscenes (hint hint). :D

As for error messages, uhm... tell me where  should expect the first tween-missions movie and I'll tell you when I get there. :D

I forget the exact heirarchy, but the games first uses loose (non-.VP'ed) files, then files in .VPs, then files on CD, IIRC. So I had the FS2 disc in the drive, but it played the FS1 intro movie from the data\movies folder - you can do it yoursself even. Just copy the intro.mve file into that dir and run FS2. :)

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Hall fight! Wooohooooo!!

Ever notice how the FS1 intro seems less..mmh, pixelly than the FS2 intro?
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Alikchi
Hall fight! Wooohooooo!!

Ever notice how the FS1 intro seems less..mmh, pixelly than the FS2 intro?

Yeah!:confused:   It's probably because they compressed it more than the first one.  Another thing, the FS2 intro doesn't leave doin' :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :jaw: :jaw:
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Overall I liked the FS1 movies much better than the FS2 ones. I remember the day when I first installed FS1. I had this 2-piece Yamaha speaker set, YST-M10, without a woofer (they were just becoming popular, but they were still expensive). I played and replayed that intro movie with the lights out and the sound pumped up.... *pauses to let slight shudder pass* :D :p ;)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Man, I gotta get this working... :)

My FS2 CD2 is completely dead... :(
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Setekh
My FS2 CD2 is completely dead... :(

:( What happened?

Can't wait to try getting FS1 movie to replace my FS2 intro. I had a question though. Can you make custom scenes? I would like to use teh avi's I captured for the RobotechMod to use for main Command briefings.. Ideas?
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Star Dragon
Can't wait to try getting FS1 movie to replace my FS2 intro. I had a question though. Can you make custom scenes? I would like to use teh avi's I captured for the RobotechMod to use for main Command briefings.. Ideas?

As far as I know you can send to :V: a movie in a ccertain format which they will convert to FS's .MVE format for you.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I asked Adam ~ a month or two ago and he said he didn't have the time... :(
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

Also, on cutscenes: if you don't have the disk space, just copy FS1's cutscenes.tbl from root.vp...it works perfectly, just like Freespace 1! :D
GE, I'd suggest making two packs-one for owners of FS1, and another for non-owners, so that you can make it compatible for both peoples. The FS1-owner copy could include cutscenes.tbl and have the default pilot messages ready, etc etc, while the non-fs1 one would have the CB cutscenes etc. :nod: :D
-C

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I've tried to make the current version compatible for both those with and without FS1. Sandwich has posted instructions for extraction, so that's OK. I'll need to look into the cutscenes.tbl- what does it contain?

Offline WMCoolmon

Cutscene name, filename, description, disk. :D It also makes it so that the FS1 cds are required rather than the FS2 ones :nod:
-C

I think that's gong to be hard
--- none ---

Offline WMCoolmon

Making it compatible for both? yeah... :doubt:
-C