Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.4.4 (launcher / mod installer)  (Read 44102 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.4.4 (launcher / mod installer)
I was wondering if your develop branch on github is up to date with the latest changes from Mjn & yourself? I tried running it last night and got the new background colours + icons, but no mods showed up.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@mjn: Thanks, I'll work on that but it might take a while (RL is keeping me busy).

@AdmiralRalwood: Sorry, should be fixed now. I made a mistake while adding the new fields.
@niffiwan: It is. How did you try to run it and what did it print to the console?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
@mjn: Thanks, I'll work on that but it might take a while (RL is keeping me busy).

No worries. I know I tend to move pretty quickly on projects when I'm motivated and have inspiration. (What else am I supposed to do when the kids are in bed and my wife's at work?)

You keep making awesome with this thing and I'll keep working on the UI as you get features added.

I should get a build environment setup for this. Might need to ping niffiwan on IRC for help on that. :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Hellzed

@ngld: I have cloned the repository for hlp-nebula, but I'm running into an issue while trying to dump the assets with Assetic:

Code: [Select]
$ php app/console assetic:dump

[RuntimeException]                             
  Path to node executable could not be resolved.

I have added this to add/config/config.yml
# Assetic Configuration
assetic:
    node: /usr/bin/node
(I checked, the binary is there)

Any idea what's wrong here ?

Also, I may be missing the appropriate node modules, which ones do I need, and does Assetic play better with globally or locally installed modules?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You also need /usr/bin/uglifyjs and /usr/bin/lessc. Both can be installed through packages (nodejs-less and uglify-js for Arch Linux) or npm (use -g to install globally).

I just installed the latest version and ran it. It has a button to Select FS2 directory but that does not seem to do anything. I don't want a fresh install so how do I tell it where I have FSO already installed using the Installer app?

Offline Hellzed

@ngld: The resources are now ok, but not loaded by the browser, because somehow /js/b60b8a8.js redirects to http://localhost:8080/js/b60b8a8.js/workshop (which contains the full HTML for the home page).
Something I'm forgetting with security, maybe?

EDIT: Sorry, my bad! It all works fine! (I was trying to run Symfony like Silex - I've been working with Silex for the past few days, got mixed up)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:09:33 pm by Hellzed »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
OverDhill, can you please go to Settings > Game settings and set your FS2 path there?
The button is broken and won't be fixed because we're working on the new UI. I've added a note to the first post in case anyone else runs into this problem.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
@niffiwan: It is. How did you try to run it and what did it print to the console?

I ran "make run"; I'll have to get you a copy of the console output when I'm back home.

edit: and here is it

$ make run
/usr/bin/python3.5 knossos/__main__.py
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.5.0-dev on PyQt5.
ERROR:MainThread:api.enable_raven: Failed to import raven!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mememe/src/knossos/knossos/api.py", line 558, in enable_raven
    from raven import Client
ImportError: No module named 'raven'
ERROR:MainThread:integration.init: Failed to specify Unity version.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/mememe/src/knossos/knossos/integration.py", line 218, in init
    gi.require_version('Unity', '6.0')
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 102, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available' % namespace)
ValueError: Namespace Unity not available
INFO:MainThread:integration.init: Activating generic Linux integration...
QXcbWindow: Unhandled client message: "_GTK_LOAD_ICONTHEMES"

And a pic!

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:59:15 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
re: possible future bandwidth issues (flashback to FSO Installer being down due to overloaded server bandwidth for the month), is it remotely feasible to back any of the larger bits with P2P (specifically, bittorrent protocol) and have that as an option for users to enable / disable?  I know Blizzard installers, and heck, even the Windows update service use some variant of the same idea.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
re: possible future bandwidth issues (flashback to FSO Installer being down due to overloaded server bandwidth for the month), is it remotely feasible to back any of the larger bits with P2P (specifically, bittorrent protocol) and have that as an option for users to enable / disable?  I know Blizzard installers, and heck, even the Windows update service use some variant of the same idea.

If you're referring to the actual mod files, those don't have to be hosted on Nebula. Nebula keeps a record of URLS and mirrors which is the better way to handle this.

Also, side note. NGLD, we'll need to create a nice user-interface (probably in the Details area) for installed mods and the ability to add/remove Recommended or Optional files. Also, Delete Mod should be in there, too.

I'm also starting to think that for Mod Installations, it would be better to have it go from Explore > Details (as the ONLY option) > Install. In the details section, near the Install button would be the checklist of what mod packages to install. This removes a popup or transition to a third screen for users, hopefully to keep things simple. It does mean that Explore > Details needs to be a different page than Home > Details. What do you think?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

If you're referring to the actual mod files, those don't have to be hosted on Nebula. Nebula keeps a record of URLS and mirrors which is the better way to handle this.

A list of server URLs and mirrors to other server URLs will still quickly run over capacity if we get popular again.  I remember us literally telling people to wait a few weeks for the end of the month to roll around back when Turey came out with the original Installer.  I don't want to see that happen again as I'm pretty sure most don't bother posting to see what the problem is, they just go play more (insert popular AAA title here).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
well - in theory anything is possible with code; a bittorrent client could be added, it's simply a matter of time & priority. And probably motivation...
----
----

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's really going to depend on the mod and it's popularity. IMO, if a mod is popular enough to run out of bandwidth in 2017... then we can bother with it, but I really don't see that happening. For one, we just aren't popular enough and that's not going to happen overnight. And for another, it's 2017. Bandwidth is just not the problem it used to be.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
It's really going to depend on the mod and it's popularity. IMO, if a mod is popular enough to run out of bandwidth in 2017... then we can bother with it, but I really don't see that happening. For one, we just aren't popular enough and that's not going to happen overnight. And for another, it's 2017. Bandwidth is just not the problem it used to be.

I do hope so, for our sake.  I mean, I suppose if it came down to that we could all chip in for more bandwidth.  Why didn't we do that before?  I can't remember.  Long time ago. (ish)

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
If bandwidth is an issue, use FreeSpace Files for mirroring. It doesn't have any limits and you can use all the bandwidth you like. DL speed might not be great if 100x people are using at once, but that's not very often. The private accounts are always fairly active and use a ton of traffic.
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@niffiwan: That's not an error, what you're seeing are the remains of the "Last Played" page. Did you try to click on "Home" or "Explore"?
@jr2: I'd love to integrate something like that but I simply don't have the time. To make P2P work you have to solve the following problems: You'd need a tracker (either use an open tracker or we could setup a tracker on fsnebula.org which would be limited to uploaded content). You need to integrate a BitTorrent client into Knossos and finally: It should work without having to setup port forwarding. The last one seems to be the biggest obstacle to me.

I agree. Also, all uploaded mods are mirrored on dl.fsnebula.org which has a 1 Gbit/s uplink and has a quota of about 30 TB per month. If we ever reach that limit, I can still increase it.

Also, side note. NGLD, we'll need to create a nice user-interface (probably in the Details area) for installed mods and the ability to add/remove Recommended or Optional files. Also, Delete Mod should be in there, too.
In the old UI I displayed a checkbox for every package and a button "Apply" which would then uninstall or install the packages according to the users selection. Maybe we could do something like that?

I'm also starting to think that for Mod Installations, it would be better to have it go from Explore > Details (as the ONLY option) > Install. In the details section, near the Install button would be the checklist of what mod packages to install. This removes a popup or transition to a third screen for users, hopefully to keep things simple. It does mean that Explore > Details needs to be a different page than Home > Details. What do you think?
Can we use the checklist for both installed and available mods? That would solve both problems at once and it should make it easier to understand.

If bandwidth is an issue, use FreeSpace Files for mirroring. It doesn't have any limits and you can use all the bandwidth you like. DL speed might not be great if 100x people are using at once, but that's not very often. The private accounts are always fairly active and use a ton of traffic.
Thanks for the offer! Would you mind if I automatically mirror every uploaded mod? (Whenever a user adds a new mod, I would upload the files to FSFiles and link them in addition to dl.fsnebula.org and the links the user entered?)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
In the old UI I displayed a checkbox for every package and a button "Apply" which would then uninstall or install the packages according to the users selection. Maybe we could do something like that?

Can we use the checklist for both installed and available mods? That would solve both problems at once and it should make it easier to understand.

Yeah, I would definitely do something like that. I'll poke around with some visual ideas applied to the Details page and see what I come up with. :yes:

Offline m!m

@ngld IIRC, we discussed randomly selecting a mirror at some point since that should ensure that the server load is distributed evenly across all available mirrors. Would that be a suitable strategy for managing server load balancing?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Short of an actual API to track mirror load, I'm not sure what else you could do.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays