Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 14586 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii/user-reviews
While most of them seem to be hateful responses to blizzards apparant incompetence at preparing the servers for launch day.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I've heard similar reports, from what I understand this one wasn't developed by Blizzard North, who were the people who created Diablo 1 & 2, I've heard a few people say that it feels more like a 'generic Blizzard game' rather than a natural progression to the series, and that some of the enemies are too 'Warcrafty' to sit comfortably in the Diablo universe.

That said, I haven't actually played the game yet, so that is based entirely on hearsay.

The people who developed Diablo 2 have long since abandoned Blizzard.

The last game I've heard they made was the train wreck that is Hellgate: London.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I've heard similar reports, from what I understand this one wasn't developed by Blizzard North, who were the people who created Diablo 1 & 2, I've heard a few people say that it feels more like a 'generic Blizzard game' rather than a natural progression to the series, and that some of the enemies are too 'Warcrafty' to sit comfortably in the Diablo universe.

That said, I haven't actually played the game yet, so that is based entirely on hearsay.

The last game I've heard they made was the train wreck that is Hellgate: London.

And Torchlight, I believe. They went different ways.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

the people who created D2 are coming out with a new diablo-style game called Torchlight 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVcsv3XWIAg

Offline mxlm

I've heard vague talk that DRM issues aside this game is sort of shallow and unengaging, please abuse/disabuse me of this notion

D3's skill system is the best thing to happen to the genre since Diablo.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

It is actually very interesting.  Skills do damage as a percentage of the equipped weapon's damage so they all scale pretty well and the fact that they're all automatically unlocked prevents a player from permanently gimping their character through an accidental skill choice.  The rune system is very interesting allowing the same skill to have different passive effects applied to it, all altering the skill in a different way.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The percentage of weapon damage is probably the best mechanic they did. If Skyrim balanced magic and shouts using that it'd be very interesting. (even if using spells in both hands you'd have an "equipped" staff or weapon that gives base damage) It'd solve a lot of scaling issues in that game.

I also like how the rune system can drastically change abilities and the overall idea of having fewer but more flexible skills.

Unfortunately when it comes to things like art direction, plot, and enemies it's the same generic Blizzard game we've had since Warcraft III. I've already complained about some of the character design, and the point still stands.

It's odd in that the game mechanics, combat, etc. I like but the overall art direction and setting is such a rehash that I can't find myself to want to play after going through it once.

The odd choices on randomization also don't help, with overland areas having "chunks" randomized but not to the full extent to Diablo 2. There's also some set pieces that they don't randomize that probably should have been
Spoiler:
the areas leading up to Leoric for instance should probably be more randomized

Also by not really including bosses/quest objectives in sectioned off non-randomized chunks of the map you lose all of the fun that made certain things like the Butcher work in Diablo. The new event setup is nice, but it feels like they're few and far between when every level should probably have 1-3 events.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:05:36 pm by Ace »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
I actually like what they've done with Diablo 3.  I think it's the only series Blizzard hasn't ****ed up yet.

Yes, the gameplay has been "simplified" but it's more like it's been streamlined.  You don't get to pick your stats or your skill progression, but considering that you had little choice in stats in D2 (i.e. there is definitively a RIGHT and a WRONG build) and the skill progression in D2 forced you to be stuck with the same group of skills for a long time, the change to a variety of interchangeable abilities is actually rather fresh.  Even the shift to weapon-damage-determines-skill-damage makes a lot of sense from a balancing standpoint.  All-in-all, the improvements outweigh the increase in simplicity.

The graphics, while "simple", are crisp and run well on any modern machine.  The texture work is, as always, top-notch and the art direction is perfect.  Yeah, it looks "cartoonish" from a certain point of view, but only if the cartoon is a grimdark gritfest wherein everybody dies by being ripped apart from the inside by parasitic worms.

Explain to me how BLizzard ****ed up starcraft 2

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Explain to me how BLizzard ****ed up starcraft 2

The campaign story was the laziest piece of **** I have ever seen.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
I rather liked it for the most part except the end felt kind of  :doubt:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I rather liked it for the most part except the end felt kind of  :doubt:

You are the cancer that is killing storytelling.

I'm being generous here, too.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Played D3 for a while now, and my honest evaluation is, unless you got it as a Freebie, it's not really worth the hassle. The connection problems cause no end of trouble even re-entering a saved game, the server seems to be shut down for updates at least once a day which, if you are halfway through a dungeon, means you really have to hope you can complete it within the 15 minute restart warning.

Basically, whilst the game itself is passable, but nothing special, the online connection thing moves it down a league because the very least I expect from my games is to click 'Resume Game' and have it resume the game, rather than tell me "Error 300008 - Cannot create game".

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
You are the cancer that is killing storytelling.

I'm being generous here, too.

And I'm being generous with a mild warning. As stated, differences of opinion are all well and fine, but lets try and keep it civil please.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Blizzard is the malignant sarcoma that has disfigured storytelling, are you a tiny cell in its swollen corpus

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Blizzard is the malignant sarcoma that has disfigured storytelling, are you a tiny cell in its swollen corpus
  :lol:

I tried the demo version that a friend gave me, and to be honest I was bored to tears with D3.
I completed the game literally with one hand, cause all the input that the game requires of you is left click for walking and right click for killing everything. It's all I did, walk up to mob. Hold right mouse button to fire the same spell at them (and shoot bow/wand if mana was depleted) over and over again. If situation requires it, walk away and kite. Pick up loot. Walk to the next mob. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
The boss was exactly the same **** gameplay wise, but it occasionally required me to shift the fingers from my left hand out of my nose and onto the keyboard to press 1 and 2. I was bored all the way to the end of the demo and was glad that I could uninstall it. Never before have I seen a game which such hype and sales numbers that bored me so much. Afterwards I checked the diablo boss fight on youtube and witnessed that the witchdocter playing it did nothing but shoot his blowpipe at the big fearsome prime evil until it slowly died. SUCH DEEP GAMEPLAY.
I dare say that even a recent call of duty title, singleplayer would be more amusing than this drab.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

Please don't escalate, I know you're not quite saying what was said previously, but it's close enough to paraphrasing to make moderating it difficult. Consider this a request.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
  :lol:

I tried the demo version that a friend gave me, and to be honest I was bored to tears with D3.
I completed the game literally with one hand, cause all the input that the game requires of you is left click for walking and right click for killing everything. It's all I did, walk up to mob. Hold right mouse button to fire the same spell at them (and shoot bow/wand if mana was depleted) over and over again. If situation requires it, walk away and kite. Pick up loot. Walk to the next mob. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
The boss was exactly the same **** gameplay wise, but it occasionally required me to shift the fingers from my left hand out of my nose and onto the keyboard to press 1 and 2. I was bored all the way to the end of the demo and was glad that I could uninstall it. Never before have I seen a game which such hype and sales numbers that bored me so much. Afterwards I checked the diablo boss fight on youtube and witnessed that the witchdocter playing it did nothing but shoot his blowpipe at the big fearsome prime evil until it slowly died. SUCH DEEP GAMEPLAY.
I dare say that even a recent call of duty title, singleplayer would be more amusing than this drab.
It's Diablo.  You act like you were expecting T3H B3S73ST G4M3Z EV4R!  It's a dungeon crawler, that's all Diablo ever has been.  The fact that it has as much story in it as it does kind of gives credit to Blizzard.  It's not perfect, I would have changed a lot of things.  But it's a damn fine for being NOTHING MORE THAN A DUNGEON CRAWLER.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
As stated, differences of opinion are all well and fine, but lets try and keep it civil please.

I refer you to Battuta's, and my own, posts regarding the line-by-line objective rather the subjective qualities of SC2's writing over in Wings of Liberty thread, particularly when it's possible to do objective comparison via time invested in various themes and similar things with SC1.

We're a little beyond differences of opinion in this case. There is quantifiable bad stuff in the wings.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:24:04 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's Diablo.  You act like you were expecting T3H B3S73ST G4M3Z EV4R!  It's a dungeon crawler, that's all Diablo ever has been.  The fact that it has as much story in it as it does kind of gives credit to Blizzard.  It's not perfect, I would have changed a lot of things.  But it's a damn fine for being NOTHING MORE THAN A DUNGEON CRAWLER.
I act like I expected at least some degree of *fun* in the game, matey. There are apparantly millions (going by the sales numbers) that find fun in this game. I didn't see it.
I played a lot of ****ing stone soup, that's NOTHING MORE THAN A DUNGEON CRAWLER too. "cept it has very little in the way of graphics. But at least it has amusing gameplay. Something I cannot quite say about D3. 
Urutorahappī!!

Also worth noting that saying, "This entire sub-genre has sub-par writing and boring/repetitive gameplay," does not actually serve to mitigate the complaint that a particular entry in that sub-genre has sub-par writing and boring/repetitive gameplay.  You're just damning the rest of the sub-genre, not defending the game you set out to defend.