Author Topic: Old Reviews and Feedback thread Episode 1  (Read 19999 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Old Reviews and Feedback thread Episode 1
Feel like giving your thoughts about WoD in a review form? Please leave it in this thread!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:37:05 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Re: Reviews and Feedback thread
Alright, just beat Episode 1 so I'll post my thoughts here. It was short but sweet, some of the engine-bending straight up blew my mind when I first saw it and the missions are pretty varied.

I might replay it later while using the dragonfly, but the Ray seems like by far the better option. It has great versatility and the ability to glide means you can take some power off the engines and into guns and shields. I did find the campaign a bit too easy, probably because it's the introduction campaign. Managed to beat it on insane without dying(although I did fail an objective a few times, and that Cyrvan assault ship got me down to like 3% hull). The multilock missiles are awesome just for what they do and how good they feel, even though dumbfires and guns are still the quickest way to blow stuff up.

One thing I didn't really like were the voice lines plucked from VNs. Random Japanese while everyone is supposed to be speaking "Terran basic" or Cyrvan just seemed weird. Though that's a nitpick, as you can easily just disable voices. I like anime, I just found it weird in this context.

The VN segments are straight up mindblowing. Sure, JAD 2.2 did something similar but this is a whole different level. The seamless transition between interior and exterior shots is pretty immersive and the artwork is nice too.

Spoiler:
Getting to shoot down some smug space elves felt great. That's what they get for messing with Alpha1 Dawn. Praise the almighty VK-0103N.

I was amazed how quickly I got attached to the Zephyr, this Episode felt like one of those "4 fighters and a corvette" campaigns, except you only get 2 fighters and a cruiser-sized ship.

Your cockpit cracking added some real stress when your shields were down, much more so than just watching a number on your HUD go down.

It might be short, but it's some of the most fun I've had flying in quite a while.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Well, I just finished it up.

I'm liking Dawn's new design, as well as Tempest's and Justice's retools. Gives them all more personality. Especially Tempest, she's easily my favorite character so far. Having Dawn as the protagonist also makes more sense story-wise, though I miss Misuzu.

The mission variety is excellent, and the conversation sections go a long way toward making this feel more like an inhabited universe.

I agree with FrikgFeek, though: the random Japanese sound bytes should go. They're out of place and jarring. (On the other hand, the Cyrvan language has me laughing when I look more closely at it. Are the not-Japanese words just gibberish or is there a method to the madness?)

I guess my impression is overall favorable. It's just too short at the moment and I want more story! :p
I'm hoping Episode 2 will come out soon-ish.

Spoilerrific stuff now:
Spoiler:
Such major changes in the setting's history were unexpected to me. Suddenly we're at the outbreak of the Cyrvan Invasion and the Battle Thralls are sniffing around a good deal earlier than in the old timeline. Tempest and Justice are mercenaries, not soldiers, and the  JGASF can't exist now because the Cyrvans are not allies. Part of me loves this new universe that has a greater amount of thought put into it. Part of me is disappointed that we're not expanding on the original. But, as this iteration of the story is still brand-new, judgment must be reserved until later.

Dawn's new plotline is so anime-cliche: the mysterious amnesiac girl with psychic powers. But hey, that's part of WoD's charm, I'm not complaining.  ;)

Please tell me Misuzu and the rest of the bunch make an appearance soon. I caught Crystal's... I'm guessing it's her father getting name-dropped, so I imagine she might show up soon, but I'd love seeing more of the old cast in their new roles.

Saw the new designs for the various species, and am slightly surprised that the Prometheus Frame is still around with all the other changes that have been made. I look forward to seeing them in action.

Also, an O'Neill Cylinder. An actual Island III space colony in the Freespace engine. The Gundam nerd in me was geeking the **** out during that mission.

I guess this also means it's time to give the TvTropes page an overhaul...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Thanks for the reviews!

Regarding the voice bytes; I personally like having them there, as it gives an impression on how I envisioned the characters sounding in my head. I liked it in Recettear, and that game isn't set in Japan either. But I understand what you guys are saying, it's a valid complaint.

And yes, the Cyrvan words are not just random gibberish, there is some method to the madness  :p

The Gundam nerd in me was geeking the **** out during that mission.
The Gundam nerd in me really wants to drop it onto something.  :D
Urutorahappī!!

If you look at the class descriptions in the F3 lab you'll see some of them are signed by Misuzu.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Flak

Let's see, now there are a lot more space for Elf-hater characters.

Offline Flak

Oh yeah, I forgot one more thing

Admiral Kalazonitov is badass

I really liked how narrow this episode's story was, placing it on a mercenary ship was a perfect idea for an introductory release.
There's nothing in here that could overwhelm new players: no huge info-dumps, no huge new-game-mechanics-dumps, no overly-complex missions. I know WoD was a popular mod, but i'm guessing there's still quite a few people who never completed it (i'm one of them), and this episode is perfect for bringing those people into the WoD universe. There's no excuse for not trying this out, especially considering the effort that was put into it, go play it!

One thing I didn't like was the total lack of faction/history data in the database; the info in the short conversation with justice and tempest as short and simple as it might have seemed was 100% abstract at the time, so i didn't really process it and suffered from wtf is this acronym syndrome later. I feel that a couple of short, one-paragraph entries in the database would help keep you on top of what's going on in the game.
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Offline LoneFan

Ok, played it and it was great, I enjoyed it more than any consumer product I have purchased in a very long time.

As a game, it is damn near perfect, the story is interesting and engaging, and the universe is very well fleshed out at this point, human factions are a little transparent but depth can come latter. This has the making of a true Sci-fi property and I don't want to see it go to waist. We need to get this out there.
Come on people, I want to see some fan art, and fanfics. Someone could publish a novel on this rich a story, there's so much to work with here. 
The only problem I have now, is that now, I want more, MORE!

The between mission story sequences were a little hard to figure out since I changed the controls.
I agree with FrikgFeek, though: the random Japanese sound bytes should go.

Yeah, that was a little painful to listen to.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:57:56 pm by LoneFan »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Just finished up. As expected from having played nothing but autoaim for years, I couldn't aim for ****, so that took some getting used to. The alternate control setup is actually pretty good (I daresay better than the default FreeSpace one if you can get over the force of habit).

Brief Thoughts

Amazing:
VN segments (that's impressive scripting :eek2: only thing missing is the number options actually working like having numbers for options would suggest haha)
The reworked universe - a lot more depth an thought put in, while still having the feel of the original
Title character being main character
2Fighters1Cruiser (and I like what you did to the Rhea design for the Zephyr)
Tempest
Last Inferno

Almost-amazing:
Colony (wasn't dropped onto anything :( )
Bombs-in-the-tunnel (amazing idea, if only the outcome was a bit more consistent)
Card Game (couldn't actually play it :( )
Felt like a demo/prequel (MOAAAAAR)

Not-so-amazing:
RiP Misuzu, Crystal, JGASF
Cliff hangar
Running out of ammo shooting at Winter/Autumn, realizing no support ship, and being stuck in endless dogfight where nobody could kill the other because they couldn't hit me and I couldn't outdamage their shield management/regen and hull regen (I get the story reasons for no support ship, but it opens up the possibility of being "stuck" until you give up and get shot down on purpose)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Woooh, thanks for the reviews and kind words!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Played it, loved it. :) Great work, really. The VN segments are really innovative, certainly more immersive than long Fiction Viewer monologues. The biggest problem with it is that it was too short. That's not to say it isn't impressive, just that it ended way too quickly. Oh, and I love the new mass driver, they Type 74. KA-BLAM! :) Makes Cyrvans feel a lot less powerful, you can really clean their clock with that gun if you have knack for aiming it. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Offline Veers

So when can we start taking Cyrvan 101 classes?
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Hail our new Cyrvan overlords!
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Darius

At first I was sad-faced, getting crashes when starting the game. Then I read how someone was getting them too and I followed the advice of disabling GLSL. It worked! excited3.gif

For some reason my lappy had switched to the intel GPU  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The most important part of any gaming experience to me, secondary to story, looks and audio (well, probably not audio) is that it's got to be fun to play. I enjoyed the first incarnation of WOD simply because it was unadulterated fun that wasn't emotionally or cognitively demanding. Happy to report that WoD2 is just as much fun and twice as charming.

I love the countermeasure graphical effect.
The visual novel format and anime style didn't detract as much from the experience as I expected.
Music still feels good to listen to. Sound perhaps lacks a bit of punch, especially with weapons.
Love the mercenary ship and the Firefly feel.
Still in early stages of the campaign but looking forward to seeing some capships in action later.

Offline Eratharon

• Cocky Pilot
Review Time! (So spoilers)

The moment I saw this I downloaded it then played it through. It was awesome.

This really looks like Wings of Dawn in a way that Dawn is the protagonist of the campaign. Well Episode one at least. The characters are loveable for me: I liked that their names represent them very well like how Justice is portrayed as a "goody two-shoes" guy and Tempest as a temperamental woman. I wonder who Swifty is though.

The storyline was interesting though certainly different from the original. I don't know which one I like more. I am leaning towards the original since it's a little more complete than this but that may very well change when this gets finished. I wonder what you'll make out of Dawn being a "Cosmic Horror" huehuehue. I would like to ask, will you bring back other characters from the original Wod?

The missions were good in a way that on normal it was challenging but not on a frustrating level. My favourite was when you mine the asteroids and detonate them on by one. What I really liked was that when you are choosing your weapons there are no weapon models but screenshots! I often forget the names of the weapons I use in user created campaigns and only remember how they look so this helped me lots! Macross Missile Massacre FTW!

The visual novel style worked for me because I read some of those already. It fleshes out the universe in a way that you don't have to go to the Techroom for info. Character interactions are done well also.

The ships look awesome and are distinct. The character portraits are also well done (though Justice is a little iffy :p). Soundtrack is very similar like the other WoD so no complaints there.

The only negative I could find was performance but I think it's more on my end than yours. I got only one crash when I watched the Human/Cyrvan battle feed but the second time I did it went through it without a hitch.

All in all I enjoyed it extremely. I would recommend this campaign to anyone. It is a bit on the short side but which good campaign is ever long enough when you want to play it forever.
-Woohoo new campaign! No time to play? ****!!

-Why in the bloody hell is command only giving Colossus ONE wing of bombers against the Sathanas?!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Cheers for the reviews :)
Urutorahappī!!

10/10 a masterpiece — PH, after getting to blow up cyrvans
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline LoneFan

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I hope Swifty and Axem survived that battle so they can be part of the triumphant return of the HARD LIGHT SQUADRON.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:42:24 pm by LoneFan »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Okay so I'm about to head up to Palomar for stuff, but I promised I'd babble about this, so babble I shall.

When naming a new pilot for Wings of Dawn, you must ask yourself one question: What Would Misuzu Do? And then you name yourself TheRedComet and put on your Earth Attack Force jacket.

OH GOD THERE'S A CUSTOM MAINHALL. I love you already, Spoon. And you've added a...custom feature to the custom mainhall? Ship logs? I shall have to investigate further when I return from the mountain.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story