Author Topic: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)  (Read 84307 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)
I'd make an educated guess that as we have all the assets now,  any future campaign releases will have a significantly smaller release size without sacrificing quality.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Axem

Apologies for breaking things again, people with smaller resolutions!

Please put this png in something like solaris/data/interface if you get an error like

Code: [Select]
attempt to preform arithmetic on field 'w' (a nil value)
[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

The attachment is only visible for forum users.

Offline Darius

Uploaded the fix into Knossos.

With the fix the game now no longer quits to desktop after the first campaign cinematic but it does quit when I try to launch the first mission

Debug log?

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
I have to say, this is very good. I had some issues with audio static, but hell. *there are dialogues*. (it might had been some config problem on my end though)

All the ships are just a marvel work. so many so good.

The only con really is the length.... cant wait for more acts ^^

PS. I wonder, how did they replace the standard ship dying sequence with leaving the whole debris instead of the cap ship breaking apart. Unless this is SEXP magic with simple model replacements.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
There's a persistent debris flag/checkbox in Fred / one of the table files  :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Darius

https://fsnebula.org/log/5d0ff0dccb0d332f83b982fd

That is a bmpman assert, needs a full debug build to get more information about it.

Ships.tbl has amazing and wonderful options for debris including hitpoints, time before exploding, speed and rotation etc. I've been wanting to make big ship hulks for ages.

The idea with the ships basically becoming derelicts was really good, it feels so much more realistic than ships exploding like mad just because they took 1 hp too much. :nod:

Downloaded 1.0.7, still the same, log attached, crucial parts of it here:

Code: [Select]
  Requested SDL Pixel values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1, FSAA: 2
Could not create OpenGL Context: Could not create GL context: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Requested SDL Pixel values = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1, FSAA: 2
Could not create OpenGL Context: Could not create GL context: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Could not create OpenGL Context: Could not create GL context: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Actual SDL Video values    = R: 8, G: 8, B: 8, depth: 24, stencil: 8, double-buffer: 1, FSAA: 0
Wokka!  Error opening file (scripting.tbl)!
TABLES: Unable to parse 'scripting.tbl'!  Error message = Failed to open file.
SCRIPTING: Inititialization complete.
SCRIPTING: Splash screen overrides checked
SCRIPTING: Splash screen conditional hook has been run
Using high memory settings...
Wokka!  Error opening file (interface.tbl)!
WMCGUI: Unable to parse 'interface.tbl'!  Error message = Failed to open file.
Wokka!  Error opening file (armor.tbl)!
TABLES: Unable to parse 'armor.tbl'!  Error message = Failed to open file.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Hm... your problem is unrelated to Solaris since FSO only loaded retail files in the log you provided.
This seems to be a more general problem with FSO on Linux. Can you run in FSO in gdb and get a backtrace? Please start a new thread with that information. If you don't know how to use gdb, I can explain it there. Don't want to clutter this thread with unrelated problems...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
*inserts reminder for self to update main page announce slideshow*  Nice work!

You need to update the number of "Standalone Games" too! :D

https://fsnebula.org/log/5d0ff0dccb0d332f83b982fd

That is a bmpman assert, needs a full debug build to get more information about it.

How do I do that?

Offline Darius

Use this build and generate the log.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

You need to update the number of "Standalone Games" too! :D

Alright, I've added the Highlight, but I don't seem to have access to the /Projects section.  I'll PM Goober.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Played this through yesterday, and then played through half of it again today.

(video still uploading at time of post, should be up later)

Since I recently upgraded to an nVidia RTX 2070, this also happens to be my first full playthrough of a campaign in 4K. With engagement ranges as long as the ones in this mod, it really makes a difference.

I enjoyed Solaris, but I do not love Solaris, not like I was blown away by both installments of Blue Planet. It's technically quite masterful--the models look fantastic and have a singular, unifying aesthetic, the missions are tight, exciting, and well-paced, the text-to-speech sounds natural enough not to be annoying--how did you make it? Some of the TTS voices sound like Blue Planet actors. Is it some sort of algorithm that generates a voiceprint from recordings of somebody's voice? The fancy TTS is really cool and I would like to see its use spread.

Solaris has an aesthetic, and mission design, and production values, but it has no heart. What is this story even about? The three principal faction are complete ciphers--a "Federation" here, a "Commonwealth" there, and neither narrative nor tech room entries say anything about why this war is going on. There's a mention of a "conflict of ideologies" on display, but none of the three superpowers has any apparent ideology (aside from the Combine being portrayed as some sort of commu-nazi collectivist bogeyman...I'd very much like to hear their side of this war, especially since they had to live with the glassing of Earth). The intelligence operation subplot seems to come out of left field when it arrives, the attempt at character drama doesn't work because the characters are ciphers too, and even if they weren't the lack of real conflict in the overall story would undermine them anyway. The thing I loved most about Blue Planet was how realized the motivations, goals, and strategies of the combatants were, the sense of war as "politics by other means" as Clausewitz put it. Solaris has none of this. The white and blue ships are noble Space England, the red and black ships are evil communazis, and the gray and yellow ships are rowdy Space Americans. But there's nothing, nothing at all, beyond that surface level.

The all-kinetic weapon technology is trendy in the shadow of nBSG, but also IMO very limiting. You seem to be going for a bit of a "realistic" aesthetic with your ships and weapons, but in that case, why not pulse lasers, or Casaba howitzers (essentially a nuclear shaped charge whose explosion is fired out of a gun as a projectile) to spice things up? Even the gun types themselves seem to be shared among factions, making the fighters of the various factions seemingly interchangeable. What's special about a Combine fighter that a Federation fighter doesn't have? Are there any differences at all in the way these three empires wage war? Their lack of gameplay differentiation feeds back into their lack of story differentiation, making the three factions even more interchangeable.

I had fun shooting mans in space fighters, but I couldn't get invested in Solaris. It's got loads of promise, great models...but the ideas and characters that would turn this spectacle of spaceships blowing each other up into science fiction aren't there.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta