Poll

Do you own retail freespace cds and which ones?

Descent: Freespace TGW
123 (31.8%)
Silent threat
72 (18.6%)
Freespace 2
131 (33.9%)
I just used the installer
19 (4.9%)
Freespace has cds?
12 (3.1%)
Snuffleupagus
30 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Author Topic: how many people own legit freespace cds?  (Read 20059 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: how many people own legit freespace cds?
'cause who'se gonna pay $80 for a ten year old game?  Heh, and none of that money goes to Interplay, they already got all their money they're gonna get from this unless they re-release it (unlikely, due to compatibility issues with XP)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
I have my old FreeSpace TGW DVD that came with an old IBM Desktop.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I have my old FreeSpace TGW DVD that came with an old IBM Desktop.

Lucky you. I came to know about FreeSpace 2 only because I got the initial release of Descent 3 with a Compaq desktop. That's computer, sadly, has snuffed it, but I still have the 2 CDs! :D

The second CD had the FS2 Trailer in it. ;)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
I used to have 3 copies, but I gave 1 away years ago.  FS2 Space Sim of the Year Edition + Original Edition, along with FreeSpace 1 and Silent Threat.  Somewhere in storage is a Silent Threat poster.
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles/VolitionWatch

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I used to have 3 copies, but I gave 1 away years ago.  FS2 Space Sim of the Year Edition + Original Edition, along with FreeSpace 1 and Silent Threat.  Somewhere in storage is a Silent Threat poster.

:eek2:

You have a Silent Threat POSTER?
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
A promo item?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Impact

i have 2 descent freespace boxes and one freespace 2 boxes simply because fs2 was sold with fs1 in bundle for about 5-10 euro.

i dont know why your copies are all so expensive. i look today on ebay and find fs1 and fs2 for 1-5 euros. but whats the point about this, just download it with fso. its not like the creator will get money for that, or the freespace god will be angry about you for downloading it and send the shivans after you.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Um. People here aren't scared to download it illegally. 90% of us got it that way. (not me ;7)
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur

Writing extensively for the Descent Chronicles/Volition Watch, reviewing missions and teaching FRED had some benefits.   :cool:

I picked up the poster when I had the privilege of seeing FreeSpace 2 in beta at Volition's offices -- my jaw dropped when I saw the beam weapons.  And then I had to sign a NDA and gag myself for a few months.   :(

I remember trying SquadWars for the first time and lining up for a choice shot at a Volition designer and...pop...someone triggered a collision bug.  The shot passed directly through him, and we started writing down what actions we had been taking at the time.  While there was another tweak to the code, I had the chance to see the Summoner demo which unfortunately crashed (not their day, it seemed).

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It happens. Murphy's Law probably chose them to lay waste on that particular day. :blah:
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Writing extensively for the Descent Chronicles/Volition Watch, reviewing missions and teaching FRED had some benefits.   :cool:
Picture.  ASAP.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It'll probably have a canonical high-res GTI logo on it. :(
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur

Picture.  ASAP.
I think I need to crawl through 10 years of debris in my attic to find it.  Give me some time. :)

I recall it being very similar to the GTD Orion image on the cover for the Silent Threat CD:

Offline Fenrir

• ?
its not like the creator will get money for that, or the freespace god will be angry about you for downloading it and send the shivans after you.

Play the Just Another Day campaigns and you`ll find how wrong you were... <_<

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I wonder why the Orion on Silent Threat's cover looks like its firing blue beams, when beams didn't exist then.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Deimos in the cinematic at the end of FS2 uses blue beams and blue lasers as well.
And has side turrets.

When clearly, its supposed to be green beams and green lasers.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
You know, I tried re-colouring the beams to become blue, but apparently I need to give them new textures or something too... Oh well.

Any word on that poster? I'm mildly interested, because tbh I've only ever seen a Descent box here in S'pore, and never any FS-related stuff.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline tifi

• GTF Apollo Fan Club
I have original CDs for both FS1 and 2, however I've managed to break CD1 for FS1.
The box has those stupid 5-way 'petal' things holding the CDs by the hole in the middle and it wouldn't let go of it and it snapped in half  :(

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken