Poll

Do you own retail freespace cds and which ones?

Descent: Freespace TGW
123 (31.8%)
Silent threat
72 (18.6%)
Freespace 2
131 (33.9%)
I just used the installer
19 (4.9%)
Freespace has cds?
12 (3.1%)
Snuffleupagus
30 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Author Topic: how many people own legit freespace cds?  (Read 20058 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: how many people own legit freespace cds?
I have the retail FS1, ST and retail FS2 CDs. I got each one basically when it came out. I've got the manuals and reference cards somewhere too, along with the FS2 strategy guide.

Not only do I still have working FS2 original CDs but these as well:

What is that? It looks like an enlarged and color version of the FS2 reference card.

Although these reference cards generally aren't useful to me since I always remap most of the keys in my games, and FS2 is no exception. :p

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Keyboard overlay
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Never actually tried it.  I just stuck it in a drawer with the manual and a cigar for some reason.  Actually those fell behind the drawer where they were found about 2 years ago.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i used to save all my video game packaging at one point, but i put them in a closet for storage and there were some leaky pipes that destroyed all that stuff. but that was around 2000. after that i said **** it and got me a 72 disc cd case (which is now entirely full).
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
I got the retail fs2 version free with my PC. Then i used turey's installer to get the port and the rest. Only disc and manuals. If i ever saw it in the store and hadn't heard of it before, i would go, pfff!! I'm not paying that much for a blimmin' game!!

I got the ol' FS1 from a game magazine and i got hooked on it. a friend of my father gave me the fs1 strategy book  for xmas. i was a happy little fella.
it took me years to find out that there was a sequel.
and 3 years ago i found u all and i lurked around a long time.

and now all my fs cds are scratched beyond use. ... happend when i lended the cds to someone... 3 horrible days without freespace.

yeah ... they are still around somewhere in my room. just for the nostalgic feeling.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
For all of you who have discs that are scratched, may I recommend the Disc / DVD / Game / Skip DR device... it actually works when used as directed.  I've had two of them so far; they're excellent.  Just don't let the discs get dry when you're resurfacing them, that's bad.  And sometimes you might have to resurface them several times if the scratches are deep.  Oh, and if there are label-side scratches (scratches that make a hole so you can see straight through the disc) then you're toast if it's in the data area.  http://www.digitalinnovations.com/  (heh, watch the vid - funny!)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
For all of you who have discs that are scratched, may I recommend the Disc / DVD / Game / Skip DR device... it actually works when used as directed.  I've had two of them so far; they're excellent.  Just don't let the discs get dry when you're resurfacing them, that's bad.  And sometimes you might have to resurface them several times if the scratches are deep.  Oh, and if there are label-side scratches (scratches that make a hole so you can see straight through the disc) then you're toast if it's in the data area.  http://www.digitalinnovations.com/  (heh, watch the vid - funny!)
QFT. And don't listen to the bull about how if it doesn't work after two tries it's worthless. I had to use it three or four with some discs.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if their still good just rip em to image files and mount em with daemon tools. that way you never have to de-case the cds. ive virtualized most of my old windows games. newer ones with uncracked copy protection and some old dos games (which wont let you install from windows) i just flip the discs. frankly i wonder why we even still use cds. they are ****ing obsolete, and dvds are just as bad. we have the tech to make a higher capacity drive capable of taking up only a 3.5" bay, and i wish someone would come up with a standard that would do that.

on the other hand, since the internets are getting bigger tubes, i really don't see why we cant just download everything. or at least have a game download kiosk at the game store, stick in your flash chip, pick a game, pay, and it gets copied over.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
if their still good just rip em to image files and mount em with daemon tools. that way you never have to de-case the cds. ive virtualized most of my old windows games. newer ones with uncracked copy protection and some old dos games (which wont let you install from windows) i just flip the discs. frankly i wonder why we even still use cds. they are ****ing obsolete, and dvds are just as bad. we have the tech to make a higher capacity drive capable of taking up only a 3.5" bay, and i wish someone would come up with a standard that would do that.

on the other hand, since the internets are getting bigger tubes, i really don't see why we cant just download everything. or at least have a game download kiosk at the game store, stick in your flash chip, pick a game, pay, and it gets copied over.
Then do it. You could be the next NetFlix, and you have the technical knowhow to do it. (I think) Of course, there wouldn't be much draw for it in Alaska...

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its already been done, just not on as big a scale. and it would suffer the same problems as online music sales, that is there would be so much of a fuss over copy proofing it that it would pretty much discourage users from buying it, and screw anyone out of their purchase that did.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I distinctly recall seeing both Freespace: TGW and Freespace 2 on the shelves, but I'm ashamed to admit that the thought of buying either never crossed my mind at the time.  7 years later a friend introduced me to his copy of FS2, and I promptly found HLP and the SCP.  I've searched high and low for an old copy in a bargain bin somewhere but it seems that few copies even found their way to Canada.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I distinctly recall seeing both Freespace: TGW and Freespace 2 on the shelves, but I'm ashamed to admit that the thought of buying either never crossed my mind at the time.  7 years later a friend introduced me to his copy of FS2, and I promptly found HLP and the SCP.  I've searched high and low for an old copy in a bargain bin somewhere but it seems that few copies even found their way to Canada.
I remember my dad brought the game home, he got it from an American coworker, I believe.

I got all three CDs, the second one for FS2's a little shakey but the rest are fine. I bought FS2 after playing the Demo and then later on bought the FS1/ST bundle. Though I do remember seeing the original FS1 ad in CGW magazine.

Offline Agent_Koopa

• These words make the page load that much slower.
I only ever had FreeSpace 2: Colossus. I was too young at the time to fully understand how to play well/correctly, but I loved it for its atmosphere. The only other computer game I'd played back then was Rogue Squadron, which is nowhere near as awesome.
Interestingly enough, this signature is none of the following:
A witty remark on whatever sad state of affairs the world may or may not be in
A series of localized forum in-jokes
A clever and self-referential comment on the nature of signatures themselves.

Hobo Queens are Crowned, but Hobo Kings are Found.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
I bought all three from my local game store. Then the installer of course.

I also 'liberated' 6 complete copies of FS2 that were slated for the Disk Shredder at work like around 2002ish...

I only got 6 disc ones, 14 disc twos, and 27 disc threes that day (posted a pic of them spread on my bed) He he.

;7
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I only ever had FreeSpace 2: Colossus. I was too young at the time to fully understand how to play well/correctly, but I loved it for its atmosphere. The only other computer game I'd played back then was Rogue Squadron, which is nowhere near as awesome.
That's exactly what I did. Exactly. Coincidentaly, the joystick I bought to play Rogue Squad came with FS2:C.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I got my mom to buy me FS1 when I was 6 and it came with ST. They are all scratched to the gates of Hell and beyond and I still have my legit FS2 disk in good condition.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

I have the original Conflict: Freespace, a second copy which included Silent Threat, and have somehow ended up with two copies of Freespace 2 (came back from a Lan party and found my copy had multiplied, quite odd really as we hadn't even got round to playing it - never did find out whose copy I had acquired - don't feel too bad since the FSO installer arrived)

Unfortunately I no longer have the boxes or manuals for them, but still have the jewel cases