Author Topic: Fenris cruisers  (Read 83578 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
The Ulysses was the first step, the Colossus and the Deimos were further steps in this joint endeavour and possibly, in my opinion, the actual future of the GTVA fleet, the combination of the best of both, everyone knows that the Ulysses was a sucess and more are likely to come. Really, did nobody ever designed a vasudan capital ship?

That and the Hecate... and we all know the Hecate is the ultimate in **** ups. So why weren't any of the Zod ships constructed with the help of Terrans?

Because its a process that its only starting to take off now, so its quite possible that the next vasudan capital will be made with terran help.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Vasudans have done pretty well all by themselves, look at the Hecate compared to the Hatshepsut, as for Zod capital ships, go to Hades Combine

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Not that Deimos is a anomaly but that it was designed in conjuction with the vasudans, it uses they reactor design so possibly its structure is hybrid as to support the both types of thecnologies. It really is true when its said that this type of ship is the foundation of tomorrow's fleet (by type I mean ships designed in conjuction by both species).

It's anomolous in the sense of using Vasudan reactors whilst having Terran beams.  Otherwise I'd suggest it was just down to reactor power or somesuch, but clearly it's a concious design choice for some reason or t'other.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well vasudan designs in FS 2 at least in capital sjip terms tend to be somewhat better. Although they tend to screw up with the cruisers.

But they have very good corvettes and they destroyer is actualy superior in many wais to the terran Hecate. More HP, more powerefull beams good AAAF defences you name it. I would much rather go into battle with a Hatsheepsut then a Hecate. It just makes me feel more secure about its chances of surviving an actual engangement with shivan warships. Cant say the same about the Hecate.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The tech description clearly mentions anti-cap beams on the Mentz.. why they were removed is anyones gus...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
The Vasudans have done pretty well all by themselves, look at the Hecate compared to the Hatshepsut, as for Zod capital ships
But they have very good corvettes and they destroyer is actualy superior in many wais to the terran Hecate. More HP, more powerefull beams good AAAF defences you name it. I would much rather go into battle with a Hatsheepsut then a Hecate. It just makes me feel more secure about its chances of surviving an actual engangement with shivan warships. Cant say the same about the Hecate.
You do realise that the Hecate is obviously not meant as a ship of the line? In spite what the database says [which is hazy to say the least], the Hecate is closer to an aircraft carrier than a battleship, moving away from the duel role of the Orion and focussing on the ability to project its firepower across a system. The term 'flagship' does not instantly denote the ability to go toe-to-toe with modern Shivan warships, but rather to hold the commanding officer and serve as the central part of a given fleet.

The feeling I get, is that while Vasudans are preferring to stick closely to the old style of Fleet composure we have seen since Freespace 1, centered by a large ship somewhere between Carrier and Battleship, the Terrans have instead begun to create ships more suited to singular tasks, rather than being a jack of all trades, master of none. The Hecate gives up brute force for more fighters and C&C Components, leaving the brute anti-cap force to the ageing Orion, soon to be replaced by the pocket-battleship that is the Deimos.

Just because the Hecate can't go up against a Shivan warship with the same voracity that a Hatshepsut can bring to bear, doesn't necissarily mean the design is a failure, and to think so is to simply be presumptuous.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is an idea regarding the cruisrs in fs era. I mean could you posibly convert them into armed supply transports i mean how much supplyes would a fenris or whatever be able to carry and stilll retain its guns well maibe not the slasher in the front but the other ones.

Also what about a sobek or a Deimos??

Edit:

Well I never said it was a failure as a carrier I just said it was a failure as a "Destroyer" The Hecate should really be put in a category of its own with the Orion and the Hatsheepsut as the fron line destroyers.

Also the Deimos is a lon way away from actualy beeing called a pocket battleship because it has no real puch to its weapons.

Not of if the DEimos had at least one BG mounted on it then it would of been superb for the role altough I much more prefere the Deimos with 2 BG.

The best ships suited for the role of pocket battleship would be the Iceni. But that was a one thing build.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 06:03:42 am by AlphaOne »
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
You may as well just dock to TC-Tris to the Fenithans "Nose-Docks".
It would look VVV Stoopid but it could work. Hmmmmmm

Actually, i could make modular weapon pods for those nose-docks..

You heard nothing PEOPLE !!
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amm work on what exactely cargo carring?? Well yeah it could probably work but the again I was talking about more like internal storage rather then outside atachements or cargo containers!
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
It must have stores to supply a crew of however many, I'd assume you could scrap some intermnal areas, but why would you want a cruiser to ferry cargo?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The tech description clearly mentions anti-cap beams on the Mentz.. why they were removed is anyones gus...

Balancing, probably.

Amm work on what exactely cargo carring?? Well yeah it could probably work but the again I was talking about more like internal storage rather then outside atachements or cargo containers!

Presumably, a fair wodge of internal space is required for having it, well, armed.  They wouldn't make it bigger than it needed to be, would they?

(also, you'd probably need to completely redesign the interior to have a configuration for taking in, storing, and sending out cargo crates)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cuz it's beeing replaced gradualy by newer designs and why throw away a perfectly good cruiser when you can actualy reasign it to other duties. Amm the internal compartments hjom much would it be gained in terms of internal space if you were to remove the missile launcher and the beam cannon? I mean the missile laucher must be using a supply of missiles which could be used for storing cargo instead.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Arguably, you could use the freed up space from reducing the crew memberrs (quarters, food stores etc) that are trained in firing said weapons and replacing them with some sort of AI / Batch file (Batch file wtf was i thinking there?)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have no ideea ! Perhaps you could elaborate!
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
On second thoughts, theres ,most likely a gunnery control station, as mention in camp mission 1. Dangit just get GTDHL to do all the deliveries  :P
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
cuz it's beeing replaced gradualy by newer designs and why throw away a perfectly good cruiser when you can actualy reasign it to other duties. Amm the internal compartments hjom much would it be gained in terms of internal space if you were to remove the missile launcher and the beam cannon? I mean the missile laucher must be using a supply of missiles which could be used for storing cargo instead.

Quite a lot of space presumably, otherwise Tritons woud have them.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hmm that would make the Fenris capable of cariing a decent load of suplyes. Cool Then This is definetly one of the reasons for the Fenris to be converted to a cargo ship. at least some of them.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
(not having a go) They're not reasons why, this is speculation as to how.......
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
hmm that would make the Fenris capable of cariing a decent load of suplyes. Cool Then This is definetly one of the reasons for the Fenris to be converted to a cargo ship. at least some of them.

Eh?  Spending a big wodge of cash gutting an old ship to do a job the likes of the Argo and Triton can already do about just as well?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
leaving the brute anti-cap force to the ageing Orion, soon to be replaced by the pocket-battleship that is the Deimos.

I'm not totally convinced the Orion was intended to be totally replaced by the Deimos. It does say in the techroom that it was supposed to replace the Fenris and Leviathan classes. Why they would want to do that is anyone's guess, then again this IS Command that we are talking about.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key