Author Topic: Fenris cruisers  (Read 83578 times)

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
And how much do pilots get paid compared to other crew members? 4000 people is still significant over 3 years.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
It may not make sense, it may well be a mistake, it way may well be simply ludicrous to abide by that piece of information. But it's what we're given, so we've got to adhere to it. If we just assumed that bit was just a 'mistake', then maybe the Sathani jumping out after Capella goes supernova was a mistake too, just a little bit of coolness added by the animators that [V] didn't want in there. It's only seen once and never mentioned in gameplay, so what's the problem with admitting it's simply a drunken mistake? What? That makes just as much sense as what you're proposing... :rolleyes:

Just live with it for chrissakes, it's not that big an issue!

hi,
i doesnt will yes or no over the 6000 crewmember on the sobek.
but thats can be a typo error.
there are nothing other informations and you can fast make a typing error.
if you take the numberpad for the number maybe he would hit the 3, but instead hit the 6.

i have often so errors too, and i dont see this errors sometimes.

what i will say it: its possible that the number is a typing error and he hit the wrong key, the 6 instead the 3.
but we will it never know.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep! Could not of said it better mi self. Il stick to mi personal opinion that it is a mistake of some sort and that the number must be significantly lower then that.

Oh and so that i dont forget I have a question: Would it be fesable to mount a mixture of Kaisers and/or Maxims on a warship for pointdefense duties? I'm asking this because I believe that it may be a good adition to the AAAf defence screans on cruisers and larger warships not to mention freighters, gas miners, etc.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
hi,
i doesnt will yes or no over the 6000 crewmember on the sobek.
but thats can be a typo error.
there are nothing other informations and you can fast make a typing error.
if you take the numberpad for the number maybe he would hit the 3, but instead hit the 6.

i have often so errors too, and i dont see this errors sometimes.

what i will say it: its possible that the number is a typing error and he hit the wrong key, the 6 instead the 3.
but we will it never know.

Mehrpack

Now why? If an Orion is so empty to have 10,000 (a number continuosly supported by canon fact) why is 6,000 so hard to belive, how do we know the larger part of the crew on an Orion works with fighters? Considering how many more fighters a Hecate has in comparision, if that were true that the majority of the crew works with fighters, the Hecate would have a bigger crew, but it doesn't

Yep! Could not of said it better mi self. Il stick to mi personal opinion that it is a mistake of some sort and that the number must be significantly lower then that.

Oh and so that i dont forget I have a question: Would it be fesable to mount a mixture of Kaisers and/or Maxims on a warship for pointdefense duties? I'm asking this because I believe that it may be a good adition to the AAAf defence screans on cruisers and larger warships not to mention freighters, gas miners, etc.

It may be feasible but it's rarely done, the Aten has two Subach turrets, the Mentu has one Subach turret, but other than that most warships mount warship cannons, however comparitively weak they may be.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 01:52:14 pm by Mars »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
In the absence of a game event -such as a message (although even that is arguable) - contradicting the 6000 value, it remains firm canon.  You can't just chalk up everything you disagree with as non-canon by claiming 'oh, it could be a mistake'.

It's the probability of a mistake that bothers me here......

A probability you're inventing to satisfy yourself, it would seem.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title

Instead of that, the easiest way to add to the defence of warships would be to increase the rate of fire of those laser turrets, just look at that Revenge campaign, those things make your life hell if you try to strike a warship.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It may not make sense, it may well be a mistake, it way may well be simply ludicrous to abide by that piece of information. But it's what we're given, so we've got to adhere to it. If we just assumed that bit was just a 'mistake', then maybe the Sathani jumping out after Capella goes supernova was a mistake too, just a little bit of coolness added by the animators that [V] didn't want in there. It's only seen once and never mentioned in gameplay, so what's the problem with admitting it's simply a drunken mistake? What? That makes just as much sense as what you're proposing... :rolleyes:

There's a big difference tehre. Tehre's nothing solid to go against the Sath part, but with crew numbers there is.

I want ot ask you something.. What if in hte debrief the number was 6000000? Would you still want us to blindly cling to it WITHOUT QUESTIONING It?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Now why? If an Orion is so empty to have 10,000 (a number continuosly supported by canon fact) why is 6,000 so hard to belive, how do we know the larger part of the crew on an Orion works with fighters? Considering how many more fighters a Hecate has in comparision, if that were true that the majority of the crew works with fighters, the Hecate would have a bigger crew, but it doesn't

Well, the Orion is a front-line destroyer that is more of a up-close and personal. Could be that becouse of it it has more repair crew (as it's more likely to get damaged than a Hecate). I really don't think [V] spared any thoughs on hte logic of ship crews and just typed in some numbers.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I can't believe this thread is still going.......
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
[...]

hi,
i doesnt say thats it hard to believe or that i believe the number.

the only thing that i say, thats possible this is maybe a typo.
not more and not less.

i think, if you make a discussion over so a number, you have to take a look to the fallibility of humans.

but if you ask me if i believe it?
dont know, i mean to say how many crewman a ship needed, we doesnt have really enought informations about the ships internals.
how big are the weapons, magazins, reactors, cooling system, tanks for fuel - water, store for food, quarters, stores for repairparts and so on.
maybe theres enaught room for 6000 people, maybe they need 6000, maybe not.
dont know it.

Mehrpack
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 05:44:03 pm by Mehrpack »
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
There's a big difference tehre. Tehre's nothing solid to go against the Sath part, but with crew numbers there is.

I want ot ask you something.. What if in hte debrief the number was 6000000? Would you still want us to blindly cling to it WITHOUT QUESTIONING It?

But that's hardley belivable, whereas 6,000 if slightly higher or lower than expected, is well within reason

I can't believe this thread is still going.......

I can't either to be honest.

[...]

hi,
i doesnt say thats it hard to believe or that i believe the number.

the only thing that i say, thats possible this is maybe a typo.
not more and not less.

i think, if you make a discussion over so a number, you have to take a look to the fallibility of humans.

but if you ask me if i believe it?
dont know, i mean to say how many crewman a ship needed, we doesnt have really enought informations about the ships internals.
how big are the weapons, magazins, reactors, cooling system, tanks for fuel - water, store for food, quarters, stores for repairparts and so on.
maybe theres enaught room for 6000 people, maybe they need 6000, maybe not.
dont know it.

Mehrpack

Yes, and considering that 6,000 is the canon number, I think we should go with that.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
But that's hardley belivable, whereas 6,000 if slightly higher or lower than expected, is well within reason

For you maby.. I find it on the very outmost possible edge of being within reason. 
When looking at a 700m ship and 6000 crew it is within reason, but wehn compared to other Fs2 ship it stands out painfully.

Yes, and considering that 6,000 is the canon number, I think we should go with that.

So you go boy. Nobody is stoping you. I'm taking the right not to.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

What if it was 1000, would you still want us to blindly cling to it WITHOUT QUESTIONING It?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Trashman, why don't you just make your own Freespace game where all of the ships have giant beam cannons 50 crewmembers? I personally like the game the way it is, and if I ever manage to FRED decently, I plan to stick, as much as possible, to canon information. You can do whatever you want, however, it is a FACT, that 6,000 is the canon number for the number of Vasudans on a Sobek, deal with it however you like.

(I'm not kidding BTW, we need more total conversions.)

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What if it was 1000, would you still want us to blindly cling to it WITHOUT QUESTIONING It?

Nope. A good debate never hurts and all the prons and cons could be weighed and the possibiltiy of a mistake asessed. 1000 also sound a bit off, alltough I find it more probable than 6000.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Nope. A good debate never hurts and all the prons and cons could be weighed and the possibiltiy of a mistake asessed. 1000 also sound a bit off, alltough I find it more probable than 6000.

I don't, ergo it must be a mistake.

Que pas?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This thread is awesome. I should have looked in here much earlier. :D

Is this about the Sobek 6000 thing? One of my missions actually requires this number to make sense and after thinking about it for a while, I eventually decided to go with 1000 in that. If anyone objects, I can make up some reason why that particular Sobek has fewer zods than all the others. It all works out nicely. :D

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Just explain to me why 6,000 doesn't make sense. It shouldn't need that many in FS2's day and age? Maybe the systems are more complex. It isn't consistant with other crew numbers. Well of course not it's a Vasudan ship. I see no possible reason why it shouldn't make sense.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Just explain to me why 6,000 doesn't make sense. It shouldn't need that many in FS2's day and age? Maybe the systems are more complex. It isn't consistant with other crew numbers. Well of course not it's a Vasudan ship. I see no possible reason why it shouldn't make sense.

Because it'd strongly indicate that destroyers don't have vastly large crews due to fighter support, and that'd royally screw up Trashmans entire justification (no fighters, no crew, can be loaded with stuff) for the uber-battleship class he usually punts in these types of discussion.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well like the guis said its your mission and posibly your campaign so you can do whatever you want with it. You can even have zods and sjivans having a picnic with the main course beeing fish and human brains . Also I alwais considered that the AAAF defences were centered too much around large powerfull weapons. I mean if missile launchers are that hungry for space then by all means just go with a maxim and a circe or dual kaisers. I'm actualy tring to work on a ship about 1,6 km long . It uses around 15 dual turrets. (maxims coupled with some good shield depleting weapong). they ae used for keeping fighters at bay and for protection against bommbers. But it also has 5 AAAf beams 6 flack's and 8 misile launchers. Coupled this with 3 beam cannons and a 90 spacecraft fighterbay.

At least that is what I inted to do but then agin i bareli managed to get a rough shape of it's frons portion let alone the whole ship.

Yeah I know its offtopic just wanted to brag. :D

Man i really must be more carefull this post is for CP5670
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!