Author Topic: Fenris cruisers  (Read 83578 times)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Its terran, vasudan or both?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I think the Terrans were the ones to take the biggest economic hit, so I'll give it to them.

Not that I know how I'm gonna make this, but it's summer, I'll give it a shot.

Funny how this went from a possible future of cruisers disscussion to a hypothetical mod, oh well, maybe it's time to officially retire this thread.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Well, I think there's nothing more to discuss so I agree.

Offline Kernal

Before we close this one. Going back to how many crewmembers on a freespace ship. Didn`t the stargate ship.... I want to say Pegusos, Have only about 30 crew members? Wasn`t it the size of a cruiser? I find it a little strange a freespace cruiser with a Thousand crew.
“I am mighty!  I have a glow you cannot see.  I have a heart as big as the moon!  As warm as bath water!  We are superheroes, men; we don't have time to be charming!  The boots of evil are made for walkin'!  We're watching the big picture friend!  We know the score!  We are a public service, not glamour boys! Yeah! Not captains of industry, not makers of things, keep your vulgar monies! We are a justice sandwich, no toppings necessary. Living rooms of America, do you catch my drift? Do you dig?”- The Tick

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The Prometheus or X-303 had a crew compliment of over 115, but could be piloted by one, so I don't really think that that's a valid argument. It was from a completely different universe, and I wouldn't take anything from one to another, don't try comparing a Sathanas and a Star Destroyer, it's like comparing apples and artichokes.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Slap twin AAAs, some engiens, and a remote control/robotics thingomabober and you've got an easily mass producable anti-fighter crap wagon. I'm not sure if these would cost more than a fighter, but you could certanly build them faster (no need to train/hire piolts, but it dosen't look like the GTVA has a shortage of those.).

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Slap twin AAAs, some engiens, and a remote control/robotics thingomabober and you've got an easily mass producable anti-fighter crap wagon. I'm not sure if these would cost more than a fighter, but you could certanly build them faster (no need to train/hire piolts, but it dosen't look like the GTVA has a shortage of those.).

Even better, built a fighter with twin AAAs, some good armor and real speed because the real strength of the GTVA is its fighter pilots.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
This is inane.  If the canon says Earth is red or the Orion is the biggest ship in the game, it's WRONG.  Of course, in this case we have only speculation and I have no problem with accepting the number.  Simply saying 'lolz canon is teh rightzor allah time' is bollocks.

Hardly. It's canonical. There's a reason why it's called canon, you know. For better or worse that's God's (or :V:'s) truth so far as FS is concerned. Anything else, even if widely accepted, doesn't carry the same weight. They could say Earth was red, and that would mean Earth was red in FS, if they wanted to do that. That's why it's science fiction.

I have this sneaky suspicion that corvettes, intended to be the main offensive platforms of the GTVA (and with their surprising resiliency) are delibrately overcrewed. Extra replacement crew members for combat casualities and extra damage control people.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Fragrag

I think it's possible to fit 6000 people on a Sobek, but just how many Vasudans are needed to man it? That's the real question I think
"On this day...my pants are filled....with joy" -Singh, doing the pants game
My blog, with 'gorillarape' in the url, who wouldn't visit it?!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
I think it's possible to fit 6000 people on a Sobek, but just how many Vasudans are needed to man it? That's the real question I think

The game says: it says 6,000 Vasudans man it typically  :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:37:55 am by Mars »

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
to post capella cruisers.

a insane idea: why put not 2 fenris/levitans together use duct tape and you have a new small cruiser for low cost :D.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I want ot ask you something.. What if in hte debrief the number was 6000000? Would you still want us to blindly cling to it WITHOUT QUESTIONING It?

Yes.

It's canonical. Canon trumps all. it really is that simple, if you're making something claiming to be Freespace.

This is inane.  If the canon says Earth is red or the Orion is the biggest ship in the game, it's WRONG.  Of course, in this case we have only speculation and I have no problem with accepting the number.  Simply saying 'lolz canon is teh rightzor allah time' is bollocks.

Really, I think the issue is size and not capability.  Corvettes are nearly destroyers-without-fighterbays, but are much, much smaller.  4,000 extra guys isn't too strange for the destroyer fighterwing, but it seems wrong to us because an Orion is many times larger than a corvette.  The Sobek is pretty damn small, but without contrary evidence we can't really just ignore it.  Unless someone wants to scale it and reveal it would be physically impossible to fit 6000 men in there or something.  :)

Stop picking stawman arguements, you just look inane.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
hi,
to post capella cruisers.

a insane idea: why put not 2 fenris/levitans together use duct tape and you have a new small cruiser for low cost :D.

Mehrpack

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I'm thinking of somthing maybe 150m long and maybe 2 AAA turrets and 4 flak guns, maybe with a rockeye launcher thrown in

We have something very similar in TI - the Harpy Gunship. It's about 85m long, 3 AAAf, 2 Flak launchers and a pair of blob turrets (I think they're prometheus S). There are pics of the HTL model on the forum at the moment.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
I'm thinking of somthing maybe 150m long and maybe 2 AAA turrets and 4 flak guns, maybe with a rockeye launcher thrown in

We have something very similar in TI - the Harpy Gunship. It's about 85m long, 3 AAAf, 2 Flak launchers and a pair of blob turrets (I think they're prometheus S). There are pics of the HTL model on the forum at the moment.

Just saw the ship, its impressive  :yes:. A side question, has no one tried to make the laser turrets fire faster on the main campaign, something like on Revenge?

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hi,
 :D
ok i write it really funny, but that was serious.

i had think about it a few months ago and i remember me that in Star Trek Deep Space 9 the federation use parts of destoryed or old ships and put they together to new recyeled ships.

and i have think: why not a levithan/fenris.

the model is good to put them together and with little modification you have for low coast and low resource a new stronger ship, they can refill the holes in the fleet for keep police action and repacify the sectors of the NTF.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
It would be better to build more Aelous cruisers since they're overall better, the remaining Fenris and Leviathan could be just on the idea that AlphaOne gave, as modified transports.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Just explain to me why 6,000 doesn't make sense. It shouldn't need that many in FS2's day and age? Maybe the systems are more complex. It isn't consistant with other crew numbers. Well of course not it's a Vasudan ship. I see no possible reason why it shouldn't make sense.

Because it'd strongly indicate that destroyers don't have vastly large crews due to fighter support, and that'd royally screw up Trashmans entire justification (no fighters, no crew, can be loaded with stuff) for the uber-battleship class he usually punts in these types of discussion.

Suggest whatever you want. If it doesn't make sense then it doesn't make sense. And all your suggestions won't give a even a microscopic bit more.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Suggest whatever you want. If it doesn't make sense then it doesn't make sense. And all your suggestions won't give a even a microscopic bit more.

Give a even a microscopic bit more?

Strangely, you're the one saying 'it doesn't make sense' with absolutely no backup to that.  I, however, can always point out that it's part of the game and written by people who did know what made sense, and that it's more likely their best value for a corvette crew rather than, say, someone having a bizarre fit that resulted in them writing all the FS2 debriefings.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well I agree while cruisers are severely outgunned and outperformed as warships by the corvettes they are however at laest for the time an important part in the GTVA fleets. On the Other hand to simply retire such a class would be even more stupid then retiring the Orion or begining to retire the Orion with no ship to fill its shoes. At least not one as powerfull as the Orion.

I think the Aeoulous in one form or another will be around for at least another decade if not replaced by a joint endevour of the GTVA to create a better cruiser class.

As for the whole 6000 crewmne on a Sobek while i still find it very very very hard to accept it even if cannon I do not believe that is the actual number of zods it requires to actuali function. Remember that they work in shifts so you mai have like 3 shifts or something like that.

But still the number is outrageus.

also regarding the ship spec i gave I wanted to make it into sort of a smaller destroyer with a smaller fighterbay obviusly then normal ones but with increased speed manouverabilaty and HP.

If you think its insane just look at the Deimos its less then half the size of a destroyer yet has 80% of a Hecates HP.

Basicly the ship sacrificed some of its beam cannons and fighterbay in order to be able to manouver faster travel faster and have higher HP. I dont know if this cand actualy be one but i'm feeling optimistic. I mean it has to have at least 130.000 HP like the Hatshepsut yet it has about half its fighterbay size yet be more manouverable and faster then a Hatshepsut. I was thinking something like 70% Vasudan 30% terran. A joint endeavour.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!