Author Topic: OLD FreeSpace Open Installer  (Read 762635 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Re: FreeSpace Open Installer! Download it now!
Yeah, grab the windows version from the first post. It has a file select, and a basic GUI.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

All the way back there? Man this game isn't liek teh one I played back in the day, they clogged everything up with new stuff LOL, this place is sooooo better organized.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

You shouldn't need to download them again. The .oggs are there, they've just been packaged into a .vp file. If the intro movie plays, then they're there.

i checked the folders again
no more VPs to find then the normal ones, smarty, sparky, etc.
when i move the manual downloaded .oggs again there is no movie either (same with FSport)
but ok ... as i manually downloaded all the .oggs there is no problem

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hey, um... question, but it looks like the installer deletes the .zip files after install.  Could there be made an option to keep them?
And another option to do a local install from a user-specified directory, only downloading updated parts?
And, if so, then if when doing a local install and updated parts are found, ask if the local install dir should be updated, or if the updates should just be installed, but keep the local install dir the same.

(e.g., for burning a CD/DVD and installing from it 4 distribution to friends who don't have a high-speed internet connection.  Also, this would save some bandwidth for whoever is hosting the files possibly.)

Hey, um... question, but it looks like the installer deletes the .zip files after install.  Could there be made an option to keep them?

Just rezip them using either the windows archiver, winzip, winrar, or 7zip , it wont take but more then 3 minutes to do it. If you dont have any zip programs and dont know how to use windows as your zip program, right click on the file you want to zip, then goto the send to menu, and select compressed (zipped) folder. (I'm assuming you have XP)

And another option to do a local install from a user-specified directory, only downloading updated parts?
And, if so, then if when doing a local install and updated parts are found, ask if the local install dir should be updated, or if the updates should just be installed, but keep the local install dir the same.

If you used the installer to install it, you don't need to worry about the update stuff, it will have all that information saved, and only ask you if you want to update the outdated stuff.

(e.g., for burning a CD/DVD and installing from it 4 distribution to friends who don't have a high-speed internet connection.  Also, this would save some bandwidth for whoever is hosting the files possibly.)

I appreciate your kindness to keep my bandwidth down, but if you want to copy it to cd, you MUST zip the whole thing, you can just burn it directly to cd, or it will have read-only errors once u copy it to a hard drive (and if you play it off of the cd) which you will find fixing it out of the question.

Offline Steel01

but when the dos window disappeared there were neither the FS1 nor the FS2 .ogg files

You shouldn't need to download them again. The .oggs are there, they've just been packaged into a .vp file. If the intro movie plays, then they're there.

Ummm... Turey, I can comfirm that the .ogg cutscenes are not downloaded in your installer. Your installer points to:
http://www.fszmirror.com/files/FS1OGGcutscenepack.zip and
http://www.fszmirror.com/files/FS2MVEcutscenepack.zip
which are not there anymore. They are now at:
http://www.fszmirror.com/files/FS1OGGcutscenepack.vp
http://www.fszmirror.com/files/FS2OGGcutscenepack.vp

Steel01
Snips from Hackers Defend Liberty (Definitions for hacker):
But I like rescuing good words from sad bad fates, and so I cling to Eric Raymond's definition:
    "1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary...
    "7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

I also like tinkerer, as defined by Freedom to Tinker:
    "Your freedom to understand, discuss, repair, and modify the technological devices you own."

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Hunter answered everything satisfactorily, but there's some stuff I'd like to add.

Sure, I can do this. The question is, why?

I don't think I'm understanding this correctly. You want to have the Installer search for files, first from a local location, say D:\, and if it doesn't find them there, or if they're outdated, to get them from the web?

If I'm correct, why don't you just copy the files to the install directory, then run the Updater?

How to easily distribute FreeSpace Open using the Installer:
1. Run the Installer, give it an empty folder (say, C:\FreeSpace2 instead of C:\Games\FreeSpace2 ). Select the sections you want to include in your distribution.
2. Once it finishes, copy the Updater exe and the "rt" folder to C:\FreeSpace2\Installer
3. Zip up the entire C:\FreeSpace2 folder.
4. Create a readme file that says:
Code: [Select]
Steps to Install FreeSpace Open:
1. Unzip the zipped folder to C:\Games\, so that the included folder is at C:\Games\FreeSpace2
2. Make sure you're connected to the Internet.
3. Run C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Installer\FreeSpaceOpenUpdater.exe
4. Follow the prompts, and it will make sure that your install is up-to-date.
5. Run C:\Games\FreeSpace2\Launcher.exe
6. Make sure that OpenGL is selected on the Video tab.
7. Make sure that the box on the Mod tab says mediavps
8. Go to the Features tab, and select the options you want. Double-click an option to find out more about it.
9. Hit Apply, then Run.
10. Have Fun!
11. If you have problems, visit www.hard-light.net
5. Burn the readme file and the zipped folder to a disc.
6. Give it to people.

but when the dos window disappeared there were neither the FS1 nor the FS2 .ogg files

Ummm... Turey, I can comfirm that the .ogg cutscenes are not downloaded in your installer. Your installer points to:
http://www.fszmirror.com/files/FS1OGGcutscenepack.zip and
http://www.fszmirror.com/files/FS2MVEcutscenepack.zip
which are not there anymore. They are now at:
http://www.fszmirror.com/files/FS1OGGcutscenepack.vp
http://www.fszmirror.com/files/FS2OGGcutscenepack.vp

Steel01

Yeah, I know. That changed this morning, and I'll fix it now.

EDIT: Should be fixed now. Tell me if there's any more problems.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 12:12:19 pm by Turey »
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Steel01

Yeah, I know. That changed this morning, and I'll fix it now.

EDIT: Should be fixed now. Tell me if there's any more problems.
Works great now, thanks.

Steel01
Snips from Hackers Defend Liberty (Definitions for hacker):
But I like rescuing good words from sad bad fates, and so I cling to Eric Raymond's definition:
    "1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary...
    "7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

I also like tinkerer, as defined by Freedom to Tinker:
    "Your freedom to understand, discuss, repair, and modify the technological devices you own."

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
idk about everyone else, but i was able to download the ogg cutscenes just fine with the installer.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

idk about everyone else, but i was able to download the ogg cutscenes just fine with the installer.

Yea me too, I have all of them, so far anyway LOL.
All vista problems can be corrected, by upgrading to XP

A thousand apologies for being too lazy to read the thread, tho im sure it probably isnt listed.

But does FS Open allow you to install FS1 as well? I downloaded FSO, but it didnt come with a Freespace 1 install.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE PUT A STICKY UP SAYING WHERE AND HOW TO GET FREESPACE 1 !!!!!  :hopping:

Offline Munuxi

I used the latest installer and apparently it comes with an option to install an SCP-enhanced version of the Demo. However, I canĀ“t seem to get it to work right. The files I got were FS2Demo media vp and a notepad file. I took out the root file and renamed the FS2Demo file to root_fs2. All that did was crash the game whenever I selected the ready room.

Any ideas?

Yikes!
I took out the root file and renamed the FS2Demo file to root_fs2.
You definitely don't want to do that! How did you get the idea?

You don't change anything:

You run it as a mod.
You need FS2 installed normally, then select the FS2 demo folder in the mod tab of the launcher.

Then from the campaign room

Select it
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 02:27:24 pm by Huggybaby »

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
A thousand apologies for being too lazy to read the thread, tho im sure it probably isnt listed.

But does FS Open allow you to install FS1 as well? I downloaded FSO, but it didnt come with a Freespace 1 install.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE PUT A STICKY UP SAYING WHERE AND HOW TO GET FREESPACE 1 !!!!!  :hopping:

The installer let me install the fs1 port even with the ogg cutscenes for it, it probably can for you.
Congrats to turey. This thing ran absolutely perfectly and did what it was supposed to perfectly? How many other people had problems? It's probably based on installer updating, now that i think about it. I downloaded the installer on sunday and let it run for the day for it to grab everything (i grabbed the installer on a good release of it).
The installer is great is you want a fresh new install of fs with all of the new ****. I mean after the installer was done, yes the file tree for fs2 was quite different than installing from the cds and applying vp's and stuff myself, one such thing to note upon was the lack of unnecessary **** that installs with the cds (stuff like idk, advertisement **** from 1999 and other crap). It's only the fs2 core directories now.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Effective now, I'll be taking a break from actively coding for the Installer. I'll still be on Hard Light, and I'll still help people out.

I've got two more features I'd like to put in (multi-line descriptions, and the merging of the Installer and Updater), then there will be no new features for a while (I don't know how long.).

Coding for the Installer has become more of a chore than a joy, and I know from experience that if I don't take a break now, I'll lose all interest in this and it will be discontinued.

The Installer will still be updated with the latest files, you just won't get any more features for a while.

Sorry about this, but I'm sure you'd rather wait for new features than have the Installer removed altogether.

Expect to see the last two features appear sometime today.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 07:04:00 pm by Turey »

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Installer Updated, changelog to follow.

The Installer and Updater have been merged. Simply run the Installer again to update it.

Descriptions can now have multiple lines.

You find any bugs, report them. I'll fix bugs, but I won't add any features.

Just to re-iterate:

People who have mods included in the Installer:

With the exception of Axem, who's already done this, you all need to go to http://www.fsoinstaller.com/files/installer/java/ , find the text file that contains your mod, mirror it somewhere, and post a link to it. If you want to change the contents, go ahead, but I will still need the link.

People who have mods but haven't included them in the Installer:

Make a text file that will download your mod by following the instructions here, then post a link. The Installer is run over 100 times a day, and that's HUGE exposure for your mod.

Thanks Turey!

My freespace directory was screwed, so i had to delete the whole thing and re-install it.

I downloaded this installer, but when i tried running it, it brought up a command prompt file, asking for Freespace 2 Directory.

I gave it one, but then it quickly closed, and opened up an internet explorer window, saying '404 file not found' , or some crap like that....

any suggestions?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
Try downloading again. It sounds like you've got an old version.