Author Topic: Cutscene Upgrade Project  (Read 374715 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Cutscene Upgrade [RELEASE: Intro (FS1)]
If at all possible, record your playthrough and link it here so we can feast on your reactions.  :drevil:

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
That. Is. Awesome. 

I like how you worked in a bunch of original FS1 voice files.  The penciled drawings really add to the overall feel, too. :yes:

Agreed it really does visualize the storyboard well.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Vasuda Prime

Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

A pretty scene *saves*

But there are a lot of lights on the surface of Vasuda Prime. Unless Vasudans like very bright lights even at midnight, I'd doubt that such a large part of VP would be evenly populated. I always thought about VP being like Egypt, where according to Wikipedia population distribution is as following:

In Egypt about 99% of the population uses about 5.5% of the total land area. 98% live on 3% of the territory.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Seriously? We're complaining about the number of lights on a fictional civilized planet now? Ok I guess.

I mean, I guess I could tell you that I designed the light map focusing major populations around the large bodies of water on the official fanon vprime map or that I thought about how a space-faring species native to a desert planet probably conquered desert better than humans. I could also mention that there really is only one major area of population in the middle of the desert that's not near a large body of water and the rest just has small smatterings of lights here and there. But I won't... because what's most important is that what I always imagined isn't as good as what you always imagined.

I really hope I don't have to justify my all creative choices for my creative projects someday at HLP. Pretty scene... but you did it wrong.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:34:16 pm by mjn.mixael »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Holy ****, an advanced spacefaring species capable of building mammoth warships has too many settlements and a too-large populated area on a desert planet? SAY IT AINT SO!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I thought that it was kinda implied that they colonized space because their homeworld was uninhabitable. It's true, can't deny that. There's more than enough space on VP to house several times the current worlds population, and an advanced civilization could built cities wherever they want. But then why colonize space at all?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 06:31:13 am by Nightmare »

Because it's a cool SF thing. Otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point building anything beyond Sol itself.

Yeah I'm probably thinking just too much... :D

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Colonisation of other worlds, in the case of the Vasudans, was because Vasuda Prime was mostly uninhabitable.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Massive amounts of artificial lights on the surface of any planet is also a cool SF thing.

I considered this. Maybe the zods always have a trillion candles for their Emperor, or they're scared in the darkness.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It's all the baby zods on fire after the Lucy bombarded the planet.
#remembertheTVwar
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
A pretty scene, but the cables on the surface seem too thick imo.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I would imagine as their tech and available resources from other colonies increased, those would make it back to Vasuda Prime and the Desert would give way to city.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I just want to say that regardless of your opinion on the topic of teeny tiny details like that, Mjn has done a horrendous amount of work on these scenes and the effect of that is awesome for a single person working with very limited resources in his free time. I believe we, as in the whole Freespace community, owe him very, very much for all the work he has done already - not to mention how much more he decided to do. And, judging by his previous results, I would really support his decisions when it comes to all of this.

I also believe each one of us owes him a beer.

Oh, and I think you could throw in already remade cutscenes into your portfolio on your website, Mjn. :P
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 03:32:30 pm by MitoPL »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I just want to say that regardless of your opinion on the topic of teeny tiny details like that, Mjn has done a horrendous amount of work on these scenes and the effect of that is awesome for a single person working with very limited resources in his free time. I believe we, as in the whole Freespace community, owe him very, very much for all the work he has done already - not to mention how much more he decided to do. And, judging by his previous results, I would really support his decisions when it comes to all of this.

Absolutely. :)
I did not intended to have it look like I wouldn't be thankful for MJNs work, I'm sorry if it came across like that. Probably the reason why I sometimes note such things, is that I see these awesome works, and I immediately now that I would never get these kind of thing done in the way he does it, even if I tried a hundred years. But then there're these mini things - probably just 0.1% needed to 100% perfection; but me being a punished with the ability to have such things jumping into my face (or my mind this time) I'd just like to see whether these things might be edited before its finalized when it  takes only a small part of the total time put into these awesome works.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Your vision is not my vision... especially when it comes to new creative works (as opposed to remakes, but it applies there in some ways as well). My version of Vasuda is a perfect representation of how I always imagined it.

I have no intention to make arbitrary changes regardless of how much or little time you think they would take, either.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Plus it makes absolutely no sense that an interstellar civilization wouldn't be able to have cities on a planet just because it's a little hot.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
What about Earth?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...