Author Topic: Ask a crew member  (Read 281688 times)

Offline -Norbert-

Considering they havn't done that yet, I guess they can't build shield breaking weapons of that scale yet. Though the existance of the VX-89E tachyon gun shows that at least the Humans are doing research on shield piercing weaonry and that such weapons are indeed possible, though I have no idea a tachyon beam is possible.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Considering they havn't done that yet, I guess they can't build shield breaking weapons of that scale yet. Though the existance of the VX-89E tachyon gun shows that at least the Humans are doing research on shield piercing weaonry and that such weapons are indeed possible, though I have no idea a tachyon beam is possible.

tachyon beams are a fairly old piece of techno babble
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

Applied Handwavium theory and copious amounts of Phlebotinum Isotope.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Applied Handwavium theory and copious amounts of Phlebotinum Isotope.

you forgot the wizard did it
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline -Norbert-

I know tachyon beams are old news in general sci-fi, I was talking about wether it's possible within WoD. After all they only have a blob version of it right now, and that is described as being extremely power hungry. I don't think it's easy to turn something that has immense powerdrain already into a beam.

What if you have Cyrvan antimatter reactors powering it, though?  Antimatter reactors power all sorts of exotic weapons.  Just look at Star Trek.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Kunoichi: Who's first against the wall when you decide to start whacking people (literally, not metaphorically) by stealth?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Kunoichi: Who's first against the wall when you decide to start whacking people (literally, not metaphorically) by stealth?

My mind instantly jumped towards the possible naughty meanings this statement has.... :drevil:

:eek2:

DAMN YOU DEKKER!!!  :mad:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

The Force shall free me.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
I don't know why are you so worried about Kunoichi flipping.
Yeah, there's the chance, but if it happens, in a twist of irony, it will happen quickly and silently. A slight noise, a bump on the back of your head... and off to the Pearly Gates.

The one you should be worried about is Misuzu. Genki girls aren't known for being tidy and swift, and that applies to them killing people as well.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Destiny

• Twintails are eternal!
The one you should be worried about is Misuzu. Genki girls aren't known for being tidy and swift, and that applies to them killing people as well.
Misuzu killed off the new Nodera fighter and it's pilot pretty quickly.

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Not before delivering a pre-mortem oneliner.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline qwadtep

Misuzu seems more like the latent yandere type to me. She'll only lose it if you kill Crystal or something.

Offline Lorric

Misuzu seems quite casual about killing to me.

Let's not forget even Kunoichi is a killer. Their job is to fight and kill.

Offline -Norbert-

On the other hand it's always easier to kill something that is not your own species (or looks almost exactly like you species in case of Cyrvans). And it's also easier to shoot down a vessel and only know intelectually that you just killed someone, rather than look that someone in the eye and still pull the trigger.

Besides I wouldn't use the word killer for them, even if they killed their enemies with swords, because of the reason behind the killing. They are protecting their people and nations from a hostile invasion. That isn't murder, it's self defense.

Offline Lorric

On the other hand it's always easier to kill something that is not your own species (or looks almost exactly like you species in case of Cyrvans). And it's also easier to shoot down a vessel and only know intelectually that you just killed someone, rather than look that someone in the eye and still pull the trigger.

Besides I wouldn't use the word killer for them, even if they killed their enemies with swords, because of the reason behind the killing. They are protecting their people and nations from a hostile invasion. That isn't murder, it's self defense.

Well I didn't mean it like that. I just meant it in the sense they're different from most people in that you wouldn't join the military if you didn't have the stomach to end lives. Remember, they joined in peacetime.

Tempest is a mercenary, Milkshake has major anger issues, and Misuzu is too genki to care about her foes.  You're surprised that these three don't care about the pile of bodies they leave behind them?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!

Well I didn't mean it like that. I just meant it in the sense they're different from most people in that you wouldn't join the military if you didn't have the stomach to end lives. Remember, they joined in peacetime.
Yeah they joined in peacetime, but it looks like they are doing well with killing aliens which obviously want to kill them. Remember, there were no diplomatic negotiations, they bumped in like the Shivans. I'm sure this made some pilots thinking that they are just monsters, not real individuals.
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
A simple solution to this conundrum!

To ALL pilots and crew: How do you deal with the knowledge that, with every ship destroyed, you are directly responsible or aiding in the deaths of sentient creatures ranging from one to a few thousand?

What about you, Crystal? You have possibly the highest bodycount, ranging in the thousands. Does it ever keep you up at night, knowing you silenced the voices of so many, only to hear their screams as they're engulfed in fire, whenever you close your eyes?
I'd imagine that it's different when commanding a warship, each crewmember sharing at least a little of the blame. But you? You pulled the trigger yourself. That must be a hefty burden to carry for the next few centuries, how do you cope with it?

The Force shall free me.

Offline qwadtep

I bet Empress Isa's ship has a neural interface so she can hear the screams directly through her ship's sensors.

(Also, now that we're on the subject of coping with taking lives, I cant help but imagine Misuzu constantly being egged on by her imaginary childhood friend Strike Freedom.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:20:28 pm by qwadtep »

Offline LunarNightmare

• ...what year is it?
    • Minecraft
Strike Freedom.

Mmmm... beam spam... glorious....

Moving on...

To anyone that's willing to respond: What's your favorite weapon?