Author Topic: Halo Prime  (Read 8156 times)

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Quote from: Wikipedia
The story of Halo 4 will be focused less on the Halo series' traditional straightforward first person shooter genre, instead relying more on mystery, exploration and discovery.

Halo going Metroid?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:27:33 pm by FlamingMamba »

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
The story of Halo 4 will be focused less on the Halo series' traditional straightforward first person shooter genre, instead relying more on mystery, exploration and discovery.

Halo going Metroid?

Sounds a bit more like Marathon or System Shock 2, tbqh
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
hopefully, would be a good direction for the series to go

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)

If it's more like those I cited, yes. If it's like the Bioshock series? **** no.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Reminds me partially how Halo Combat Evolved plays out, I'm thinking, and actually hoping, that it'll be a good mix between Halo Combat Evolved and System Shock 2.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Halo going Metroid?

Sounds a bit more like Marathon or System Shock 2, tbqh

**** yeah! :yes:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
What's wrong with the fashion of which Bioshock played out?
"No"

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie

The whole games was more linear than the Chuo Shinkansen and was spoon-feeding stuff to the player like a baby.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft

The whole games was more linear than the Chuo Shinkansen and was spoon-feeding stuff to the player like a baby.

So basically, it being similar to countless other FPS makes it wrong? I still don't understand the reasoning
It's linear
So is Dead Space, CoD, Battlefield Bad Company, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye

As for spoon feeding, an example would be nice
"No"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Didn't you notice how the fact that the player does not have a choice in what he does is a major plot point in BioShock?

Didn't you notice how the game blocked off access to areas immediately after you were done with whatever it was you were supposed to be doing there?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline FlamingCobra

This is kind of like how I thought halo 4 would be.

When I started thinking up ideas for Halo 4 a while back, I was like

Master chief explores mysterious forerunner ruins and solves Metroid-Prime like puzzles to advance while simultaneously fighting the Flood.
Brutes get pissed (they're sore losers) and want revenge; another invasion of Earth. With Chief gone, humanity's last hope is their Sangheili allies. The Arbiter and the Elites help defend Earth.

And you switch off between the Arbiter and the Chief like in Halo 2.

For better or for worse, it looks like Halo 4 is going to focus only on Chief and the forerunners.

I've got mixed feelings about this.

I personally think a really good direction for the series to go would be 150,000 years into the past, during the Human-Forerunner War.
That way, it will be much easier to flesh out the Forerunners, mostly because there will be living Forerunners. We can also get a feel for humanity's more advanced technology during that time. But most of all, we can return to the classic Halo formula:
Humans. Aliens. Flood.

I would center the Humans around magnetic-based weaponry (gauss carbine, railgun-type sniper rifle, etc) for aesthetic reasons and because.... well..... its a different direction. It's more advanced that chemical-based firearms, and less alien-looking than plasma and light-based weaponry. It's very futuristic, but still has a distinctly human feel.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Didn't you notice how the game blocked off access to areas immediately after you were done with whatever it was you were supposed to be doing there?

That was only BioShock 2 (and was a huge disappointing change).  In the original, you could go basically the entire way back to the start of the game if you so desired.  I did so to use the various vendors several times.

To be clear, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex both are quite linear too, and they're games that set the gold standard in terms of FPS-RPGs.  SS2 is virtually completely linear, with very few actual player choices; Deus Ex allows for minor choices along the way, but the ending basically boils down to where you go in the final level and what you want to happen - which they completely negated for Invisible War anyway. [ DX:HR took the ending stupidity one step further and reduced it to frickin' button presses.]

Regardless, the only substantial difference between the way SS2 railroads and the way BioShock railroads is that the RPG complexity (and insane difficulty) was dropped for BioShock.  This is why I'm always surprised when people praise SS2's gameplay and plot development, then trash BioShock.  SS2 is without a doubt my favorite game, but BioShock ranks right up there and the gameplay is only marginally different.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Beskargam

admits that SS2 and marathon were before my time. returning to halo 1 formula would be good. better plot overall might help to. without out the bit about never being able to find where youre supposed to go.

Offline FlamingCobra

admits that SS2 and marathon were before my time. returning to halo 1 formula would be good. better plot overall might help to. without out the bit about never being able to find where youre supposed to go.
Halo 3's plot was kind of bad, but at this point I feel like it's a bit too late. How could the plot of subsequent games be improved?

EDIT: I also think a game set inside Onyx with Kelly as the protagonist would be a good spin-off.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:40:50 pm by FlamingMamba »

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Didn't you notice how the fact that the player does not have a choice in what he does is a major plot point in BioShock?

I did notice that first part, but I actually liked the idea. It was an interesting one and a welcome change to being told what to do directly, rather than subliminally
"RAMIREZ! TAKE DOWN THAT CHOPPER WITH THIS FRISBEE"
vs
"Would you kindly take down that chopper with this frisbee"

Not only that, but the idea was dynamic. It didn't remain "would you kindly" for the entire game, merely most of it

As for the second, as mentioned before, that was only present in the second game

EDIT: Also, with the mention of magnet weaponry

MAGNET GUN FROM RED FACTION
That would make it all infinitely more amusing
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:54:30 pm by deathfun »
"No"

Offline Beskargam

Kelly or Fred. Unfortunately, that arc has ended in Glasslands. so that's out.

Ah, I was kinda certain John was landing on Onyx, but given how Halo Reach played out (I was certain at first it would be the other Spartan-II's, not a whole new crew) it's probably wholly new. I'm very interested nonetheless, the new direction seems refreshing, I hope 343 will take great lessons from aforementioned games (Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and so on). The whole idea of choice and consequence probably won't be there though. We'll see how it'll turn out in the end.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

That would seem to be a point in doing such a thing's favor. At least, for Bioshock.

I personally see this as a rather extreme departure. The Master Chief has always been portrayed as the world's best mechanic, so to speak, only his profession is killing things. He's quite single-minded about pursuit of his mission and orders. (The only thing he's ever regarded as overriding them is the destruction of all life in the galaxy.)

Puzzle-solving and exploration either mean Cortana is going to become a much bigger character or this  is going to be really downright bizarre.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:15:34 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline FlamingCobra

Kelly or Fred. Unfortunately, that arc has ended in Glasslands. so that's out.

Who says a novel can't be made into a game?

That would seem to be a point in doing such a thing's favor. At least, for Bioshock.

I personally see this as a rather extreme departure. The Master Chief has always been portrayed as the world's best mechanic, so to speak, only his profession is killing things. He's quite single-minded about pursuit of his mission and orders. (The only thing he's ever regarded as overriding them is the destruction of all life in the galaxy.)

Puzzle-solving and exploration either mean Cortana is going to become a much bigger character or this  is going to be really downright bizarre.

I simply do not understand how Co-op will work now. There won't be an Arbiter or Elites, and I just can't see 343 going back with the "double master chiefs" thing from Halo 1 & 2.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Perhaps, faced with no official orders and completely cut off from any source capable of issuing said orders beyond his AI, which he already knows has had brushes with rampancy several times, he'll actually get a characterization?

Or would that fall under the "downright bizarre" category? :P