Author Topic: Calling old people that played on Kali  (Read 1705 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Calling old people that played on Kali
How well did FS2 run over Kali?  The last threads here are from 2004, with a brief
mention in '06.  Any oldie moldies still remember that?

I've got a theory or two I'm curious about concerning the netcode that's semi-related.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Re: Calling old people that played on Kali
Care to share?
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Re: Calling old people that played on Kali
The theory? Well I thought about it, then figured the sort and sweet version was easier.

Basically TCP/IP was coming into itself still when the games were released. IPX was overall
a faster protocol, but it was intended for LANs, not long distance internet links. IPX lost out to
TCP over the years, partially cause of the internet growth and Windows ditching it in Vista.
However, broadband pipes have become more widespread and faster since 1999.

So, what I'm wondering, is if "netplay" is any better over IPX with FS2 than it's TCP/IP implementation?
Kali - back in the day was used here as a FS2NetD replacement after PXO died. Support was added for it due to HLP circa 2004.
I've been playing Tachyon over Kali with 2 player deathmatch, haven't had any issues. If anything, it's
easier to use once it's setup than tcp/ip since you don't have firewall and port problems.

I'm not calling kali a replacement or some sort of fix. I'd just like to find out if it is any better than how
things run in tcp/ip.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod