Author Topic: RELEASE: Transcend  (Read 175233 times)

Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.
Spoiler:

I think the Transcendant IS one of the crew from Sync. Thats how it seems to tie in. Not to mention, the Transcendant is present in the Sync Campaign (remember the Ship zooming off in subspace in one of Sync's earlier missions?
[/B]

Well that would make absolutely no sense: Winnie ther Pooh showing up would be just as valid.

However,
Spoiler:

I caught the Pegasus in the subspace mission.  How could THAT be the  Tranny if the Tranny is some of the characters?  Not to mention the whole thing takes place in an alternate timeline, and somehow the future-Vasudans knew everything that was going on.

I actually like all the unanswered questions in both campaigns - like the future-Vasudans, the cagey Shivans, etc - but I'm wary of drawing parallels where none exist.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Spoiler:
Well, it has already been put forth that the Transcendant is omnichronal, and if he exists/does not exist in one time, he must exist/not exist in them all. Otherwise the rewind would be one in a literal sense and things would start all over.

I blew up the Chondral's cargo once myself, mainly out of frustration. "There's nothing more we can do." Yeah, we'll see about that! *BOOM*
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Originally posted by Pnakotus

Well that would make absolutely no sense: Winnie ther Pooh showing up would be just as valid.

However,
Spoiler:

I caught the Pegasus in the subspace mission.  How could THAT be the  Tranny if the Tranny is some of the characters?  Not to mention the whole thing takes place in an alternate timeline, and somehow the future-Vasudans knew everything that was going on.

I actually like all the unanswered questions in both campaigns - like the future-Vasudans, the cagey Shivans, etc - but I'm wary of drawing parallels where none exist.
[/B]

Spoiler:

1. What ngtm1r said.

2. Take a look at the transcripts of the Transcendants messages. He says the exact same thing as is in the Sync Crews dialogue. For example:

too. ---- luck but I'd rather take my chances with the -------.

Phi 2 (I think) says in Sync: Me too. Good luck, but I'd rather take my chances with the shivans.

Also:

- I guess you can't blame them.

- Something strange about this place...

- Doesn't his death bother you?

- Fails to respond...

- I just don't know...

- Isn't our time to die...

- No!

- No idea...

- Why?

- Nothing... makes sense.

- I'm... not getting a clear reading.

- I don't... it's so far away...

- I think... I...

- Do you see?

- But how? They...

- I can't reach...

Pretty much all of these, IIRC, are from Sync's Dialogue.

Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i just noticed that. i wonder if we'll meet Kappa 1 in the next campaign? ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Spoiler:
Umm, where is it established that the Vasudans in Sync are from the future? I must've missed something...

Fenrir, it wasn't.  I just figured that made more sense than 'OMG there are other, almost identical, Vasudans in another galaxy'.

ngtm1r,
Spoiler:
I'm still not sure that suggests the Tranny is one of the Sync guys.  I'm (reasonably) fine with the Tranny messing with people (as it seems he was in Sync), but actually BEING one of the Syncers seems a stretch.

Jetmech,
Spoiler:
to me that suggests that the Tranny was PRESENT during the events of Sync, and probably influencing them.  After all, I don't think any single person said all the lines (which is why I didn't think it was, ie, Phi3 or something) - but he could very well have been following them for some reason, and thus heard all the communications between the Persistence group.  He was insane in Transcend, after all... :)

Actually, is Transcend dated?  How far post-Capella is it?

Spoiler:
I'm curious to know what ELSE changed in the Transcend universe due to K1s little world-saving paradox adventure.  Chronologically, WHEN was the Tranny destroyed?  Did his 'dark nebula' never form?  Did the cult never arise?  Clearly, those spooks never investigated his nebula, etc.  What about the smugglers hiding there?  It was clear to K1 that his little branch of time didn't make any sense: does he remember?

Originally posted by Pnakotus
Jetmech,
Spoiler:
to me that suggests that the Tranny was PRESENT during the events of Sync, and probably influencing them.  After all, I don't think any single person said all the lines (which is why I didn't think it was, ie, Phi3 or something) - but he could very well have been following them for some reason, and thus heard all the communications between the Persistence group.  He was insane in Transcend, after all... :)

[/B]

Spoiler:
However, remember that it was stated that the Transcendant was constantly reliving the last moments of his life? That he was constantly replaying and resending dialogue from the last moments of the Sync crew still leads me to believe he was part of the Sync crew ;).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 01:00:48 pm by 340 »

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Kie99

Use Spoiler tags!!!
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
Those weren't 'vasudans from the future'. they were vasudans from another galaxy.

[EDIT]
Spoiler:
Yeah, i still think that the Transcendant was the Sync crew. ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 01:37:25 pm by 2299 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Originally posted by Cobra
Spoiler:
Those weren't 'vasudans from the future'. they were vasudans from another galaxy.

Spoiler:

I Played Sync after transcend, and I've been thinking about that. Didn't one of the pilots say that reason the Vasudans talked gibberish but the translator could translate the words was because it may be a splinter dialect of the Vasudan you know?

Well what if he got that the wrong way around? What if the GTVA Vasudan's language is a dialect of this group. A language that we know was spoken lets say... Oh I don't know... 8000 years ago?

A couple of other hints as well?

1. The line about the Vasudan's been a distant cousin group that was splintered years ago.

2. When Beta 2 goes metal he says 'NO! Don't you see what you're doing? The destroyers... my God, what have you done?'
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 06:26:45 pm by 2604 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by Screechy
Originally posted by Cobra
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I Played Sync after transcend, and I've been thinking about that. Didn't one of the pilots say that reason the Vasudans talked gibberish but the translator could translate the words was because it may be a splinter direlect of the Vasudan you know?

Well what if he got that the wrong way around? What if the GTVA Vasudan's language is a direlect of this group. A language that we know was spoken lets say... Oh I don't know... 8000 years ago?

A couple of other hints as well?

1. The line about the Vasudan's been a distant cousin group that was splintered years ago.

2. When Beta 2 goes metal he says 'NO! Don't you see what you're doing? The destroyers... my God, what have you done?'
[/B]

sync was warping the Sync crew to other galaxies, so, our theories our verified.

Offline Kie99

But we also know that the Sync Drive could do
Spoiler:
Time Travel

Perhaps the Sync drive never sent anyone to another Galaxy, it just took the Persistence and Co. back in time 8000 years to Gamma Draconis, and it only did jumps of  a couple of systems.  From whatever system you meet the Persistence in to the Gamma Draconis 8000 years ago, and from Capella to a nebula just off GTVA space the final time it was used.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 05:45:39 pm by 1934 »
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Spoiler:
I don't see how they could have gone that far back in time, considering the "Sync" Vasudan's technology was almost exactly like that of the ones we know (save the superdestroyer). There was some time travel of some sort, explaining the 3 year gap between their departure and arrival, but they think it happened because they traveled so far so quickly. Almost like a Subspatial version of the time dilation objects in normal space experience when nearing the speed of light.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
If using spoilers would be a crime, you all would be in prison by now. ;)
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Yogert

I can't seem to get Transcend to work. I installed the VPs and corresponding files into the Transcend folder, downloaded and activated the newest SCP build, and it crashed while loading the first mission. It doesn't give me an error message, just loads 3/4 of the way, moves back a bar, then crashes. Would greatly appreciate any help: I loved Sync and would love to play this one, too.
"Who joins the army to be a Euphonium player?!"

If you have the mv_music.vp, nix it. It is evil incarnate.

FUKOOOOV!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. That sounds like a mv_music.vp caused crash to me. If you take a look at the errorlog.txt file in your Freespace2 folder the first line probably says something like

fs2_open_G-20050728 caused an Access Violation in module ntdll.dll at 001b:7c91888f.

IF you don't have MV_music I'm willing to bet you've got mv_zPack instead (which contains the contents of mv_music).

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Isn't the zPack a .rar archive of the other media vp's these days?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah but earlier versions contained the other VP files in one big package and there are a lot of people still using the 3.6.5 VP files instead of the newer ones.