Author Topic: Mission 1 for my campaign complete!  (Read 5058 times)

Mission 1 for my campaign complete!
Here it is!

Edit: this is for retail... and  sorry if its sorta a BoE mission.... i'm 11!!!!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 02:45:46 pm by Titan »
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Re: Mission 1 for my campaign complete!
Not bad, not bad at all. Believe it or not, that is better done than some fully-released campaigns out there (Technological Superiority comes to mind). Please stop reminding us that you're 11, cause this is quite a good first mission. What gave you the idea that it was a BoE mission anyway? I've seen missions with many more capital ships than that, this one was quite well-balanced.

Gripes are minor, but there are some:

-No background. More trivial than most, the lack of background just means that the mission space looks blank, maybe putting a planet and moon nearby would help?

-Advice on weapons: If people are gonna be downloading new missions to try out, they will likely have a pretty good idea of what weapons do. Might remove that line of the briefing suggesting which guns to use. I beat it with dual Prometheus S's (I hate Maxim Guns  :p).

-Crowded: The battlespace seemed just a little crowded. Might try spacing the capships out a bit. Their beams have some surprising range.

Like I said: very minor gripes. Keep up that standard and you'll do fine!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I kept running out of gun energy. :lol:

Like WTF, tons of beamz and crapo flying around... :shaking: Then Magic appears and more beams... :wtf: :lol:

Did anyone manage to accomplish the second objective without warping out? That objective didn't go green even when all was done with... but at least you know directives... when I was around your age and using FRED1, I didn't even know how to use directives or the events editor XD

Background? There was, but only one or two bitmaps... Played it on mediavps...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

hey hey hey, be easy now...

I'm 16, and I've only barely been able to do well with Directives. They're tough little buggers to program, knowing when to start them, when to end them. . .it's rough.

just downloaded it, and it's 8:45, so I'm going to go to bed and play it tomorrow, but if Hunter likes it, I'll probably like it.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

and it's 8:45

Are you sure, Spartan?  ;)

Directives aren't that tough, just have to get creative with chained events.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Not bad, not bad at all. Believe it or not, that is better done than some fully-released campaigns out there (Technological Superiority comes to mind).

:lol:    *Downloads*
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

ok, ill change some of that little stuff.... i know theres tons of beams but i wanted to give the impression of a full scale attack. several other questions. do you think i should lower the Serene's starting hull strength? Should i take out that cain? Should i make the dogfighting more constant? any other feedback would be great.

P.S. i didn't really bother with the backround, all i ever do is play arouns with it. ill add more for the campaign edition.  ;)

S.P.S. (super PS) That's the first time i got the briefing to 1. not get deleted, and 2. get the words to appear in colours.  ;)

Edit: i couldn't figure out how to get the second objective to work. but i also need to find a way that if the Serene get BOOMED you fail the mission + campaign... i wanna make the Serene come back (repaired!  :p) later in the campaign. also, the chatter is part of the campaign's backstory.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 09:58:38 am by Titan »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Good show old bean, now just tweak it until YOU'RE happy. Thats the best way :)
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

yes, I'm sure, though right now, it's 9:15. My computer told me so.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
yes, I'm sure, though right now, it's 9:15. My computer told me so.

Really ;) 214, what are you on about?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

....I CAN tell time, I just choose to ignore it.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
But why tell us here in this thread  :lol:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Ok.... i've finished with editing the briefing, about to test some new ship placement, and i'm getting around to making a backround. would anyone care to help me make this campaign?  ;)

all im capable of is making some of the missions and maybe some modeling far off in the future.......... do i have any takers? PLZ?!?  :(

Edit: Ok, the final version is up. i changed the version up at the top, thats all. Now i get to do the one mentioned in the debriefing......... BOMBERS GOLOAR!!! YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 02:48:42 pm by Titan »

You're more likely to get a positive reaction by offering to help one of the other mods with their FREDding (most of them are currently... stuck  :p). Too many WIP campaigns for you to find a free FREDder, most likely.

EDIT: Played the new version. Better. I see one typo in the briefing ("... and they are attacking the our defenses..."), the jump node has no name, and the planet is facing the wrong way (light side should be toward the sun, not away from it). Thought the sun placement was creative though, kudos!  :yes:

It does feel like a BoE mission. But that's not a bad thing. Few mission in FS accomplish the feeling of random chaos this mission does. I think you misuderstood why people caution against BoE missions: it's not that the "huge battle" style of mission is bad, it's just that if more than a dozen or so capital ships are in one mission at once, it screws up the AI. That's why people are cautioned against them, not because that style is bad or anything.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 06:51:22 pm by Dark Hunter »

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I don't know how to do coloured text in the briefing myself. How's it done, if I may ask? :)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

I think it uses $R (for red), $G (for green), and so forth.

thanks Hunter, I needed that for my campaign too. Which is, unfortunately, why I cannot help you Titan. Right now, I'm trying to develop a side-campaign to Inferno explaining the ......well, you should play Inferno first.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

You're more likely to get a positive reaction by offering to help one of the other mods with their FREDding (most of them are currently... stuck  :p). Too many WIP campaigns for you to find a free FREDder, most likely.

EDIT: Played the new version. Better. I see one typo in the briefing ("... and they are attacking the our defenses..."), the jump node has no name, and the planet is facing the wrong way (light side should be toward the sun, not away from it). Thought the sun placement was creative though, kudos!  :yes:

It does feel like a BoE mission. But that's not a bad thing. Few mission in FS accomplish the feeling of random chaos this mission does. I think you misuderstood why people caution against BoE missions: it's not that the "huge battle" style of mission is bad, it's just that if more than a dozen or so capital ships are in one mission at once, it screws up the AI. That's why people are cautioned against them, not because that style is bad or anything.

the jump node has no name because i dont know a system!  :P

about that sun placement, i once got it to work in a way that just a sliver of the sun was showing from behind the planet, and rays were shining out. unfortuntly i think that was in one of my goof-off-for-the-heck-of-it-and-maybe-expirement-with-new-tricks-and-stuff missions....  :sigh:

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
about that sun placement, i once got it to work in a way that just a sliver of the sun was showing from behind the planet, and rays were shining out. unfortunately i think that was in one of my goof-off-for-the-heck-of-it-and-maybe-experiment-with-new-tricks-and-stuff missions....  :sigh:

That's one thing I've tried to do, but I couldn't get the result I wanted. Sheesh, I still have lots more to learn about FRED... :sigh:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

I finally broke away from my campaign to play this mission, and it's pretty good.

Two Problems IMHO:

1. No organization in the beginning. Most of the time, you either warp inabout 1500m away from the battle, then engage the enemy. When I played, I was a sitting duck with about 50 missile locks on me.  :shaking:

2. The Shivan cruiser (or destroyer, can't remember) didn't warp out. I was taking out the fighters, and I couldn't get to it in time, but when the paper planes were gone, I turned around and................the destroyer was sitting in the node doing nothing. It wasn't warping out. . .  :confused:

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-