Author Topic: Anyone tried out Apex Legends yet?  (Read 2965 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Anyone tried out Apex Legends yet?
I'm curious for thoughts and if anyone around here is into it.  I keep hearing buzz but not much about mechanics and gameplay.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Anyone tried out Apex Legends yet?
Game is good. I was a bit skeptical at first (another Battle Royale? A Titanfall game without Titans?), but after having played a couple rounds, I'm not seeing myself going back to PUBG anytime soon.

Despite appearances, this definitely isn't a game that has been released and developed as a quick cash-grab: There's a level of thought and polish to the design that elevate it above the derivative garbage that usually comes out in the wake of one or two hyper successful games (here: PUBG and Fortnite). In this case, the addition of class-based abilities and the tightening of the combat loop so that battles are usually over swiftly and decisively (as opposed to the long slogs that late-game PUBG sometimes devolves into) makes this game a markedly different experience.
Sure, it is also infected with the usual F2P garbage, like cosmetic items being hidden in lootboxes, but for some reason, I find myself more accepting of such practices when they're attached to an actual F2P game. Strange how that works.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Would be interesting if this one plays more like Titanfall 2 or the much superior Titanfall? ^^

Because i totally disliked the changes in the gameplay for the sequel, that is the reason i am still playing the original one.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It plays a lot like the best shooter of the decade (which is Titanfall 2, fight me), except of course without jetpack and parcour (but with automatic mantling that makes movement fun and fast compared to PUBG)

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
the best shooter of the decade (which is Titanfall 2, fight me)

Do not have to, because it is your opinion :)
I simple like the predecessor much more, because it has an more own self-identity and much less elements from other games which plays all the same.
But i know, that there have to be other opinions. Also it has a reason why the first Titanfall was not very successful either.
And i got to it myself only after it was sell of cheap for 5€ with all then free DLCs.

So, i will pass on this one. But well, have to admit that PUBG and Fortnite was not my cup of tea anyway :).
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Luis Dias

my kids won't stop playing fortnite, and I won't definitely show them apex because then I'll never get to touch my pc ever again

It's a far better game then either PUBG or Fortnite in my book. I never liked the third-person perspective or fort-building that is so essential in Fortnite, and PUBG still doesn't run all that well. It's a game that tries to do "lightweight Arma" yet somehow manages to be more clunky then that massive game.

This game does a lot better. It inherits the speed of its Titanfall heritage, it inherits the distinct weapons (now with ballistics rather then hitscan), but it also adds new things: Communication using entirely in-game prompts is the best I've seen in any game to the point it makes voice chat and text chat redundant. Even with a squad that fully knows eachother and is on voice, the ping system is still extremely good at relaying information.

It's siginficantly less frustrating in dying too: where in PUBG being downed is a near-game over where you wait a few seconds until your inevitable execution, in Apelegs you still have a decent chance to shield yourself and get back to safety, and even when you die you can be respawned by your teammates after the battle is done. This makes the game far less frustrating then its counterparts.

Please do try it. There's no harm with it being free to play after all, and Respawn deserve their big breakthrough.

It also completely undercuts the Battle Royale mode that Dice was creating for Battlefield. Turnabout is fair play :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:48:32 am by -Joshua- »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It also completely undercuts the Battle Royale mode that Dice was creating for Battlefield. Turnabout is fair play :P

What it actually undercuts is the COD Battle Royale.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Innnnteresting.

Whatcha guys doing on the weekend? :)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Does it require Origin on PC? If so then pass.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Prepare......For titanfall.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snarks

I've played it a bit. It's alright, but I think I'm just done with the BR genre. I can't help but ask myself: does this really need to be in a BR format? It feels like I might enjoy the game more if it was a more traditional team deathmatch type setup, where I get more time shooting and less time running around looting.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I've played it a bit. It's alright, but I think I'm just done with the BR genre. I can't help but ask myself: does this really need to be in a BR format? It feels like I might enjoy the game more if it was a more traditional team deathmatch type setup, where I get more time shooting and less time running around looting.

+1

I'm pretty inexperienced with this genre, and I usually die before I find any decent weapons.  Fist < gun.  It could be fun if I could live long enough to use some of the game mechanics.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

I always try to drop away from other squads so we have plenty of time to loot. Take long distance jumps!

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
Does it require Origin on PC? If so then pass.

I already have Origin installed, but I don't know if it is actually required. 

I'm Deathspeed3 on Origin if anyone wants to add me.

It's fun! I'm really bad at it, but it's fun!

I'm Scourge_Of_Ages on Origin, btw.

Offline Luis Dias

I'm Ark1tekt, but if you ever find me, it's not really me, it's one of my three kids trying it out :D

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
I've played a handful of matches, and have yet to get a kill :)

Offline Schenx

I'm actually impressed how polished Apex Legends is. Enjoying it quite a bit almost every day. I'm game to group up with people from the community if someone's still playing.
This is why men benefit from these probiotics specifically.

What it actually undercuts is the COD Battle Royale.

oh the ironing
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.