Author Topic: Curious question about Americas Army  (Read 2627 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Curious question about Americas Army
Can you play as both sides?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Curious question about Americas Army
Nope.  From what I understand, no matter which of the two teams you're on, you see yourself and your teammates as the American soldiers and the other team as the hostiles. 

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Nope.  From what I understand, no matter which of the two teams you're on, you see yourself and your teammates as the American soldiers and the other team as the hostiles. 

Baws.  That might have got me interested in it, too.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
:wtf:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
:lol: Something about this is very funny, I'm not even certain what, but it's funny nonetheless.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
:lol: Something about this is very funny, I'm not even certain what, but it's funny nonetheless.

The fact that the inability to play as a terrorist has turned aldo off of the game?
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think it's more along the lines of, 'knowing the mentality of the Internet, almost everyone would play the bad guys, purely to piss off everyone who didn't' ;)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
To me its not about wanting to play as terrorist. It's not wanting to play as american soldier. I see it as another attempt to market the american way of life to the world. Frigging yanks can't brainwash me!
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline TrenchardsLoveSock

• Remember, everybody starts as a noob
Do 'blue-on-blue' incidents affect you career?

Or is it all swept under the carpet and kept quiet?

(There should be an angry face here, but net access from work kills most functionality of the board).
Founder (and only member) of the "WMCoolmon Crusade For Better Noob Appeal" fan club.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Can you change the filenames of hostile models (and textures) to friendlies and vice versa? Or are they in some stupidly huge un-openable package that the game reads it's data from?

Granted, changing the filenames would be a huge work but once it's done, you could have a US. army copy and hostile army copy.

...by the way, does that mean that the weapons are the same for both regardless of how they look like? Like, the bullet coming from your enemy's AK-47 will behave the same as the ones coming from your M4 Carbine, or the ones coming from SAW have same properties as the ones in enemy PK machine gun? :confused:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
:wtf:

Well, i'm not exactly going to go and join the US Army, am I?  Might as well give them some proper international warfare.

Offline Inquisitor

To me its not about wanting to play as terrorist. It's not wanting to play as american soldier. I see it as another attempt to market the american way of life to the world. Frigging yanks can't brainwash me!

You're not exactly the intended audience :)

Its a recruitment tool, with a side order of training. join the army, be the good guys, etc...

There was an article a while back when it was released where they asked the developers why they did it that way. I'll look for the link. Suffice it to say, its pure propoganda. They want you (and by you, I think they mean 18-25 US citizen) to feel liked you are on the "good guys" side, and get you used to helping out guys with American flags on their shoulders.

Somewhere along the way, the accidentally made a decent game that people like playing.
No signature.

Offline Roanoke

isn't this just the same as Full Spectrum Warrior

Offline Inquisitor

Nope. its an FPS.

FSW is more an excercise in small unit tactics and not getting your team killed. When I played it, there was really no way to (fully) control an invidual soldier. It was more RTS than shooter.
No signature.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
It's nothing like FSW (which I hated by the way - how come their guys can pop my guy in the head from 100 feet away with an AK-47 from a standing position while my guy is exposed for 2 seconds, but my guy can't hit him from 10 feet away with a SAW from behind cover in a crouching position, while the other guy is standing straight up in the middle of a hallway - this is NOT an exaggeration, it's an actual gameplay moment).

And Prophet? Get over yourself. It's an Army recruitment tool (and there's a modified version used as a training tool), not some sort of mind control device. You're not the target audience at all.