Author Topic: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice v1.0 (Windows, Mac & Linux)  (Read 856075 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice v1.0 (Windows, Mac & Linux)
Windows in particular.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I've temporarily uploaded my previously-downloaded copy of the Windows 1.1 patch here.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Thanks, that got me unblocked.

Offline CenturionModel0005

• Original Centurion
Hi Many thanks for the release for the dedicated server is it still the same just start it up and choose server ?

EDITED: Found the MP Beat thread Many thanks great work

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:19:14 pm by CenturionModel0005 »

I've temporarily uploaded my previously-downloaded copy of the Windows 1.1 patch here.

I just registered to say THANK YOU!  ;)

Yes, the official download for the 1.1 patch is so slow it's essentially broken.

I tried to grab the official patch several times, but with an estimated download time ranging from 4-12 hours for a 300 mb file... forget about it... it just breaks.

Yours worked like a charm though.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

I just registered to say THANK YOU!  ;)

Yes, the official download for the 1.1 patch is so slow it's essentially broken.

I tried to grab the official patch several times, but with an estimated download time ranging from 4-12 hours for a 300 mb file... forget about it... it just breaks.

Yours worked like a charm though.

I'm glad it helped somebody else. :yes:

(I'm also glad that I forgot that was supposed to be temporary :nervous:)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Hello there, I am pretty new here. Downloaded this game and followed the instructions as specified for OSX (at the moment I am running Yosemite) and the game crashes immediately (even after applying the patch).

What I did was:
1. Downloaded Diaspora_R1_Mac
2. Mounted the DMG
3. Dragged the app to my app folder.
4. When to the Diaspora folder and ran the command there called run_me_once (or something like that).
5. Executed wxlauncher and watched it crash immediately.
6. Downloaded the patch 1.1
7. Mounted the patch.
8. Copied everything into the diaspora package/folder and replaced whatever was duplicated.
9. Attempted again the run the wxlauncher.
10. Watch it crash again.
11. Redo everything twice from step 1 to 10... filled with frustration.
12. Registered on this forum and published my frustration.

Being completely honest, the game looks amazing... on youtube and I was hoping to give it a try. Am I missing something?

Offline Echelon9

Hello,

Can you have a look at whether this file exists, and if so attach it to a new post here? /Users/<you_user_name>/Library/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log

We are presently looking at reports of crashes on modern OS X with an outdated middle-ware library (SDL) that the fs2open engine uses behind the scenes. [Update: Verified. OS X support for 10.10+ will require a new binary release of the FS2Open engine we use behind the scenes.]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:13:15 pm by Echelon9 »

how do i play

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
There should be a tutorial for you in-game that will get you familiarized with the controls.  So, install it, run it, and go from there.  Post back if you have problems getting it to run.  Also, be sure to install the full install file, then both of the patches, instructions should be in the OP.

Offline Tibod

Hi Echelon9,

I'm also experiencing problems on OSX Yosemite. I'm on the 1.1.1 version.
wxLauncher works fine. I also ran the "once" script. And tried playing around with different FS2_Open versions.

Here are the files and other errors:
fs2_open.log: http://pastebin.com/5x80tePz
errors in popup crash: http://pastebin.com/EfWjUkp1

edit: This seems to work a bit better, but seems to hang sometimes: http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/OSX/FS2_Open_Ant9_20150716_2777459.zip
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:43:32 pm by Tibod »

Offline Echelon9

Hello Tibod,

Based on those logs (thanks for providing) you are experiencing the bug with the fs2open engine's use of an outdated middle-ware library (SDL).

Unfortunately, you'll likely need to await the issuance of a new binary release. New fs2open engine releases are drop-in replacements for Diaspora's binary on OS X.

Offline Tibod

Thanks for your answer. Based on your previous answer I went digging in the FS2_Open stuff and found the Antipodes release. I tried using the last one here:  http://swc.fs2downloads.com/builds/OSX/

Now it seems to work OK. The only problem is that my FPS is very low (I'm running with the settings of the "once" script + the recommended Diaspora settings). I found out that the first rendered part when after starting the campagne does not work well. And then when you start in the Viper bay it's smooth. As soon as you exit the viperbay (and some starlight gets rendered on the insides of your viper) it drops to 1 fps...
My specs are this are https://support.apple.com/kb/SP704?locale=en_US. And I have the model with the extra "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching". The logs tell me it also uses the geforce instead of the on-board intel.

Offline Echelon9

I'd suggest you look at disabling our GLSL-driven shadows. This is done via a command line option, that can be accessed through the Launcher.

In that build, -disable_shadows will turn off the shadows feature, as it can lead to a big performance hit (so much so, that the current master builds have reversed the command line option so that shadows need to be explicitly enabled now with -enable_shadows).

Offline Tibod

That did the trick! Fortunately I do not know what I'm missing with the shadows turned off, so that's great!
Also, using the mouse it is a lot easier than the gamepad. :P

Thanks for the help and the great game!

Offline Echelon9

Thank you very much. Enjoy!

Hey guys, just came by accident across your game and wanted to try it out.

I'm still not sure to try it out, while I don't know if this could contain viruses.

I know im might be stupid, but im seriously careful with the internet and free downloads/games....

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I know im might be stupid, but im seriously careful with the internet and free downloads/games....

Considering there's hundreds of people on this site alone that have downloaded, installed, and played it, myself included, I highly doubt that's the case. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
www.virustotal.com is your friend.

EDIT: You can have the site scan a file hosted on a website by pasting the URL under the section "URL", so you don't have to upload the file.

So, right-click the download link, click "copy link location" or similar, and paste it into virustotal's URL box, and scan it!

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
The exe for this game does cause some AV programs to throw out a false positive.  I think BitDefender did that for me, but I use Avast now.  I know you don't know me, but I can assure you if you download the game using the links provide here it it free of viruses.  Don't be afraid just because they are torrent files.  It's just a distribution method.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.