Author Topic: BioShock Demo now on LIVE  (Read 18189 times)

Re: BioShock Demo now on LIVE
It's absolutely beautiful.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
BTW - for those complaining about linearity, the game opens up a whole lot more after the intro/tutorial, though to advance through the story it still is primarily linear.

That's good to know. Does the full version have more in the way of RPG-like stats? That was a key aspect of SS2 that didn't seem to be there at all in this demo, although that may have just been due to the short length.

I basically got the impression that this would be an excellent and highly polished game (which is good enough for me to buy it, although not immediately), but still essentially just a standard FPS and some ways below the all-time classics.

On a side note, the DX10 mode apparently looks identical to the DX9 one from what I'm reading, so if anyone was planning to switch to Vista just for this game, it's probably not worth it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:30:33 am by CP5670 »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
It doesn't have stats save for health and 'eve,' but the gene tonics and plasmids allow for a lot of customization. Overall the gameplay of this is what I expected from Deus Ex 2 (which that game failed to deliver).
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Yes, there's actually quite a bit of customization.  Instead of Traditional stats, you get Tonics, which are your passive abilities.  You can use 6 (2 of each of 3 kinds) at first, but it seems to open up to 18 max.

You can always switch them out at a gene back, but you have to earn them or find them - you can buy them with Adam, find them laying around rapture, or earn them through research with the camera - at least, that's how I've found.

All sorts of neat stuff too - sort of like an all perk fallout.  Or oblivion's skills without the numbers, just with the rank bonuses.  Actually works quite nicely.  You're not locked in like you were in the classics, but you never have enough slots for all possibile abilities. 

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
That sounds pretty good. I'll have to see it for myself.

By the way, the PC version has some Securom-based copy protection scheme that only allows two installs with internet authentication. :rolleyes: I'm not sure how you reactivate it after that, but the 2k forums are up in flames over this. I am still trying to figure out whether the exe is also bugged with the usual Securom rootkit installer, in which case I'm holding off purchasing it until the cracks start to roll out.

It's 2 concurrent installs, actually, not 2 total. If you uninstall, if frees up an install.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm also glad to see that apparently the full thing will be more "fledged out" than the demo. I guess it's hard to give us the full scope of the thing in such a relatively short space of time.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's 2 concurrent installs, actually, not 2 total. If you uninstall, if frees up an install.

That doesn't protect you against hard drive failures, especially if you have multiple computers like me and already use up the second slot. I think the Securom rootkit is more of a problem though. Apparently it does in fact use that. It's a good thing that there are ways around it.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I don't care how good the game is, I'm not buying it with such draconian measures.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
First StarForce...now this...won't they EVER learn? :rolleyes:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Supposedly, you can always call them and have it reactivated in the case of a hard disk failure and the like.

Is there a detector or anything out for that securom rootkit?  I'd like to check and see if it exists.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline brozozo

• Used to be d3r3k.
    • MySpace

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Okay, as good a game as BioShock is, the new Halo 3 footage has led me to retract my claim of GOTY/GOTG for BioShock.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Supposedly, you can always call them and have it reactivated in the case of a hard disk failure and the like.

Is there a detector or anything out for that securom rootkit?  I'd like to check and see if it exists.

There is a program to detect the rootkit, but I don't remember exactly what it's called. I think someone mentioned it in here.

In Bioshock's case, the Steam version (quite unusually) has this thing too.

Okay, as good a game as BioShock is, the new Halo 3 footage has led me to retract my claim of GOTY/GOTG for BioShock.

You're not alone, anyway. When I see such claims from the review sites every six months, I know to take them with a grain of salt. :p

Good for you. But for your future reference, that first G means game, not graphics. :p

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
I just played the demo, and I have two thoughts...

First, I think they did an excellent job at optimizing the engine.  My wee little 6800 was able to run this game at 1280x1024 with minimal slowdowns (though sluggish when entering a new area).  The shader support was also paramount, though could really use work in some areas.  The world design was also very cool.  While linear, I felt that the supplementary elements to the map design (random quakes, subtleties, etc) added more to the game than the map itself.  I find it rare for such a detailed setting to exist, especially in today's games.

Secondly...  WTF?  What just happened?  What is the idea behind any of this?  Never before in my life have I ever been so confused by the concept of a game.  While I made it to the end of the demo, I have no idea what I just did, or what it was for.  I am literally dumbfounded.

With that said, the demo was filled with awesome and win.  Best game I've seen in years, no question.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Just picked up my copy from EB, i'll post some thoughts after i've had a few hours to play.

Edit: Got a few hours under my belt, and it's actually damned good. Not the be-all and end-all of gaming as some people made it out to be, but it's still a pretty awesome game. I'm really digging the whole immersion factor, keeping it strictly to the player's perspective. Obviously they took notice of how well it played in Half Life and FEAR. I'm also liking how deliciously twisted the story is, having just traveled through the medical area where sanity is certainly in short supply. Very unsettling.

On the down side, it does seem rather more linear than I would like. Also, the whole Big Daddy/Little Sister deal has been a bit too toned down for my liking. Depraved as it may make me seem, I really liked the earlier designs where the girl was so human, rather than some invincible demon child. Not to mention bringing it all down to a single-button choice as to whether kill or save the Little Sister, which really breaks the immersion factor. Sure, you'd have family watchdogs, religious groups and dumb parents up in arms if they'd made the player manually kill the little brat, but i'm sure they could have come up with a way that didn't just kill the mood. Something a little more complex given how it apparently represents some major moral choice throughout the game. Finally, more of a nitpick, without doubt the Big Daddy moves faster than conventional physics should allow. Seriously, he can zoom around a room even though he must weigh a bloody ton. Has he not heard of a little thing we like to call inertia? Still, given that i'm writing this as I telekinetically catch grenades and throw them around the room, I really shouldn't be so anal about physics violations. :p

Still, damned good. It's got style, atmosphere, and - shockingly - an interesting story! Should tide me over for a while, or at least until Mass Effect comes out.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:57:28 am by Mefustae »

Offline Cyker

Well, enjoy it for me guys. I was looking forward to it but I doubt I'll ever be able to play it... :(

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
That sounds pretty good. I'll have to see it for myself.

By the way, the PC version has some Securom-based copy protection scheme that only allows two installs with internet authentication. :rolleyes: I'm not sure how you reactivate it after that, but the 2k forums are up in flames over this. I am still trying to figure out whether the exe is also bugged with the usual Securom rootkit installer, in which case I'm holding off purchasing it until the cracks start to roll out.

make it five installs now, but still - never before I was so eager to find a cracked exe for the game (I bought the Limited Edition). The activation did not work at first - I spent almost two hours trying to persuade the game to accept my serial number. Even worse: there is currently no way to save the license file. I have been looking forward to play the game - now I am livid.

Still, the game is damn good. Halo 3? Who cares - it may be a good game on xbox, but there are better games for pc in the pipeline.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis