Author Topic: BioShock Demo now on LIVE  (Read 18208 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Re: BioShock Demo now on LIVE
Check out the front page of www.pcgamer.com . A lot of mainstream sites are reporting on this issue now. I have actually heard little about the game itself and more about its DRM issues during the last day or two.

I'm going to pass on it for now. It doesn't seem to be quite the all-time classic title I was hoping for anyway. Lots of console influence. I'll get it once the price falls a bit and some cracks are available.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Still, the game is damn good. Halo 3? Who cares - it may be a good game on xbox, but there are better games for pc in the pipeline.

Wouldn't it be prudent to judge that once it is out and available for consumption?

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
More to the point, do we have to compare them? Or can we just enjoy both?

On the subject of the DRM issues - my house mate bought the collectors edition home today. His PC is elsewhere so we installed it on mine - and we did so without issue. No problems here, he's been playing for four hours straight now!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Don't bring this int
Still, the game is damn good. Halo 3? Who cares - it may be a good game on xbox, but there are better games for pc in the pipeline.

Wouldn't it be prudent to judge that once it is out and available for consumption?

Don't start this into a Halo vs. anything thread, I'm speaking to anyone, not just specifically you Deep.

And 2k is doing a new "five by five" deal, where you can install the game five times on any five computers. Still too restricting for my case, but better.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Finished it. Liked it. Will probably buy it.

I know the terms 'visceral' and 'cinematic' get thrown around a lot and overused, but I think in this case they really apply. The atmosphere and general FUBARed feeling of everything is great with all the propaganda and old radios playing and such. The weapons impressed me, not in their originality but in how they actually felt deadly and destructive. So far, Rapture gives me the willies; hearing a little girl sing lullabies whilst sucking out someone's brain juice with a big syringe is a little unnerving. :nervous:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Plotwise, it's very well done.  There's a twist in there that really throws you for a loop.

It also has the most disturbing audio log I've seen since "Glory" in System Shock 2.  And it's exacerbated by a very dirty psychological trick in that area.

It's really too bad it has Prey "you cannot lose." syndrome.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Nurse: Doctor? She's not scheduled for a facelift. Doctor! Stop cutting! For God's sake, stop cutting!
Doctor: *Whistles happily*
Nurse: Get the chief of surgery! Somebody get the chief of surgery, now!!

*Shudder*

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
My cup runneth overrrrrr...... that log creeped me out bad. 

I preordered it, and I honestly say, even though it has a crappy way of rendering it's widescreen mode out of the box, and the securom crap, I'm willing to put up with it, because I am totally blown away every time I jump back into Rapture.  This game just gives me a great feeling of Dejavu.  It points, nearly screams back to SS2 so much, in terms of what things do and how things happen in the story.  I just absolutely love this gameplay. 

I'd also like to say, where Ion Storm failed with Deus Ex invisible war, Irrational suceeded, in making a game look, run, and feel nearly the same on both platforms.  The experience is truly phenominal.  Incredible work they've done so far. 

Sad to see though that Eric Brosius isn't the audio director for this game, rather, he's listed as "Audio Consultant".  Still, the audio team did a great job, and I've gotten goosebumps more than I have with any other thriller since SS2. 

That one was good too mestufae, not the one I was refering to though.   Gotten
Spoiler:
mind control test yet?

Spoiler:
Would you kindly snap the puppy's neck? ....then the next area has "How much is that doggy in the window" on the radio.  Beuatifully done.
Spoiler:

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Nurse: Doctor? She's not scheduled for a facelift. Doctor! Stop cutting! For God's sake, stop cutting!

*Shudder*
Oh, man. Yes.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak

*Shudder*
Oh, man. Yes.

Of course the audio log is found right next to the Nurse's corpse.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Mr. Bubbles.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga

I have played Halo 1 and 2 on pc. I neither not own an Xbox 360 nor do I plan to buy it. When Halo 3 comes out for pc it will be a mediocre game. It is as simple as that. Which does not mean, that it won't be great game on 360. Halo 1 and 2 were.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
That is a good point. The PC ports lose something, whether it be by age, controls, or the ridiculous requirements.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Like Halo 2 for Vista. :ick:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Roanoke

Plotwise, it's very well done.  There's a twist in there that really throws you for a loop.

It also has the most disturbing audio log I've seen since "Glory" in System Shock 2.  And it's exacerbated by a very dirty psychological trick in that area.

It's really too bad it has Prey "you cannot lose." syndrome.

Remind me. Which one was "Glory" ?

Hydroponics Deck.  Korenchin audio log.  "Glory to the many (click)(oh jesus don't do it).  I am a voice in their choir (bang, bang, bang, bang)"

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Like Halo 2 for Vista. :ick:
Works pretty damn well on XP... It's a bit funny though, I need to start it from the command prompt. Always reminds me of the good old DOS days...

Anyway. Fun game. But not great... Interesting plot though...

But Bioshock on the other hand got me really exited. Can't wait to play it. But I am pissed about the Securom ****. I regret installing the Demo, since I now have that damn securom leech haunting me all the time.

It shows up on Rootkit Revealer, but I hear tell that it's not really a rootkit. What's the deal with that?
Good thing I'm coming up on my annual OS reinstall...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Shade

I really want it, but I refuse to buy it unless they wise up and stop putting stuff in it that might **** up my computer and can't be properly uninstalled even if it doesn't.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Got it off Steam, it took three attempts before Steam would run it, but still, all in all a damn good game. Apparently the Authors have promised to remove the protection once the initial buying 'surge' is over, we will just have to wait and see I guess.